else

document.write('+':ltc7pige]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

SO, not to take the fun out of the thread, but I had something similarly racist happen on my team yesterday.

Player got a checking-from-behind penalty, and once informed of being tossed, decided to scream, "fucking nigger!" at the black ref who tossed her. That warranted a match penalty apparently, but my manager who was working the box immediately apologized to the scorekeeper who was horrified, who relayed it to the ref. The intermission was about 2 minutes later, so I had my assistant coach talk to the team and went over and apologized and tried my best to explain that it wasn't tolerated AT ALL and how that's a terrible reflection of our organization.

After the game, the ref came out of his locker room just as my manager and I were leaving and we again apologized, then asked if he had the match report. He said that he had crossed that out and changed it to another game misconduct. Instead of a 30-day minimum away from any USA Hockey sanctioned event (like practice) and a hearing in front of a board, the player only has a 2 game suspension. The ref was one of the nicest, level-headed refs I've experienced and I felt so bad that the whole thing happened. I mean, sometimes you get refs that are straight dicks. Earlier in the tournament we had one that was confrontational from the onset of the game, tossed my assistant and one of my players, and simply would not treat anyone with respect. This guy came over and answered any question I had, explained calls, apologized for calling a player by name (rather than number like they are supposed to), thanked me mid-play for cutting off a player and saying "nothing from the bench" as they were in the middle of saying something relatively harmless, but still unnecessary... he was just a genuinely nice guy and for my player to be a racist asshole is so disappointing.

And now I have to go to a meeting at 7pm with the player, my manager, my assistant coach, and the head of the Regals organization.

So can you extend the player's suspension if you choose? Or is it strictly left up to the ref?
Oh, definitely. The ref let her off easy with 2 games (only one of which is for the comment). I'm headed to the rink at 7 to meet with my manager, assistant coach, our program head, and the player. We as a group, but mostly the director, are going to decide what punishment is adequate because it's a reflection of the program, of the team, of me as coach, etc. I don't know where I fall on the length, but extra punishment from the team is definitely warranted.

We have an exhibition game, then a tournament the weekend of the 7-8-9. At the very least I don't think she will be attending the tournament. That's pretty much a favor to us, too, since she's one of two players who don't ever come with a parent, so it's up to me to make sure she's behaving and not drinking.

PS - this is girls, too. They're supposed to be the fairer sex, aren't they? This team is full of ROUGH girls.

I hate Avery. And the Flyers.

Update on my little racist player.

We gave her a 4-game team suspension, but it's getting passed by the regional New York discipline board or some shit. In NY, it's an automatic match penalty even if the ref doesn't write it up that way, so there's a good chance they'll extend even our additional suspension. They might tack on 8 more and consider that lenient, or they could toss her for the year.

...and now he calls Avery a Homo.

Claims Avery, with nobody else managing to hear it. Simmonds is new to the team, I've heard the fans in LA hold him pretty highly, but I am not in a position to judge his character. But it's definitely not coming from a reliable/the best source.

As for the girl and her actions towards the ref. I would throw her off the team. Not judging you (or your leagues) actions in any way, so don't think that.. just giving my opinion. There's truly horrible. I give a ton of respect to the referee though, for handling it with such class.

...and now he calls Avery a Homo.

Claims Avery, with nobody else managing to hear it. Simmonds is new to the team, I've heard the fans in LA hold him pretty highly, but I am not in a position to judge his character. But it's definitely not coming from a reliable/the best source.

wasn't it picked up on camera (video, but not the sound)? I thought he was asked about it during the postgame press conference

Guest errolwest
So, just because it was a banana means he was being racist? Maybe he was aiming at a white player...

Then couldn't you say that it was racist of them to throw waffles on the ice? White people like waffles, right?

everyone likes waffles, man.

In a twist of irony, Simmonds, the victim of the alleged racist act, was tossed out of last night's scrimmage against the Rangers for a vicious hit from behind. But that's not the irony. After he delivered the cheap shot from behind, Sean Avery (yeah, I know, but whatever) challenged him to a fight and a scrum ensued. Well, during the mayhem, cameras picked up, quite obviously, Simmonds calling Avery a "faggot". This apparently because it's publicly known that Avery supports same-sex marriage.

Victim one day, guilty the next.