Pour Habit and crowdsurfing lawsuit

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 16 and 31, stage diving never bothered me.

But feet-first "diving," which isn't diving at all, since diving is done head-first, is nothing more than jumping on people. And that has never seemed like anything other than an excuse to hurt people. I'm all about doing what you want and having fun but not at the expense of someone else.

So when clubs have rules against moshing and stage diving, and shows are 21+, I usually get really happy. But I'l be in the back, with a beer, talking about how much the kids suck.

Its an obnoxious practice, that's all. I'm all for letting energy go but I'm all for respecting those around me. (Hated the kick boxing trend too) I also approach this as someone knocked on conscious by a stage diver as a 17 year at a show in the old Limelight. Fucking dumbass hit me feet first in the head while I was dancing. Sorry if he came from my backside and I couldn't see him. You know what sucks? Concussions. The puking. The short term memory loss. Waking up with four strangers carrying you out of a huge crowd. So yeah, I know concerts, been going for 19 years. I get this kids frustration but it never crossed my mind to sue. I think stagediving is an assinine selfish way to enjoy a show. My experience, my opinion.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels ~this way, though I've never had a concert-related injury, I just don't want sweaty people pushing and rubbing up on me... maybe it helps if you're drunk?

but yeah, suing the band is totally gonna cost him his punk card patch--fortunately, it was only hanging on by a safety pin

i fucking hate stage diving and crowd surfing. Getting kicked in the head by some fat douchebag that you don't see coming is pretty much never fun, and i dont buy the whole "it' sa punk show, you know what you're getting into" argument. It's so frustrating having to concentrate more on not getting landed on than the music you're there to see. At polar bear club recently my friend was kicked int he face and his glasses were broken and his nose was bleeding pretty heavily. You shouldn't have to deal with shit like that to see a band you like, or be up close to the stage in my opinion. The lawsuit is definitely frivolous and could ruin pour habit which sucks, but yeah the singer shouldn't have broken the dude's face either...

It's stereotypical jerkoff behavior for people living in the past. It's the same as moshing. Punk started with a bunch of kids who hated mainstream culture and got the shit kicked out of them by football players for having short hair, just so they could come up with their own set of rules and fashion and go to shows where they can act like twats and bully other people around. It's the same dipshit, macho jock behavior that punk was supposed to be the alternative to in the first place. Oh, and the elitism. We could spend all day talking about the elitism.

So there we go. Most of this shit is just living in the past. When you add to that that nowadays being a "punk" has everything to do with being a PC-fascist campus revolutionary liberal LGBT alliance PETA member environmentalist vegan prick, it's pretty safe to say "punk/hardcore" culture is fucking obnoxiously unbearable even before you factor in getting your face smashed by some ape.

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm just being contrarian here...to a point. :D

It's stereotypical jerkoff behavior for people living in the past. It's the same as moshing. Punk started with a bunch of kids who hated mainstream culture and got the shit kicked out of them by football players for having short hair, just so they could come up with their own set of rules and fashion and go to shows where they can act like twats and bully other people around. It's the same dipshit, macho jock behavior that punk was supposed to be the alternative to in the first place. Oh, and the elitism. We could spend all day talking about the elitism.

So there we go. Most of this shit is just living in the past. When you add to that that nowadays being a "punk" has everything to do with being a PC-fascist campus revolutionary liberal LGBT alliance PETA member environmentalist vegan prick, it's pretty safe to say "punk/hardcore" culture is fucking obnoxiously unbearable even before you factor in getting your face smashed by some ape.

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm just being contrarian here...to a point. :D

what the hell are you ramblin' on about? and did the football players have long hair?

Stagediving.

And yes, very often, in the 70s, when this "punk" and subsequently "hardcore" nonsense began, though in this case I'm using hair length as an exaggeration to lend an air of irony to my argument :)

seems a bit like hyperbole to me.

i know how you think. i can see through the facade and the linguistic chicanery you use to prove your point. nothing but hyperbole my friend.

charlatan!!! :P

I got to shows with my wife all of the time and we usually don't have a huge problem dealing with crowd surfers and/or stage divers. Standing off to the side is your best option. Generally places mic instruments anyway so there is a balance in sound. Crowd surfers usually surf toward center stage, and stage divers jump around center stage anyway. Plus crowd surfers and stage divers are usually only a problem all the way up front...except for assholes that jump feet first or from a side stage/platform/booth from a direction people aren't looking. They deserve an elbow to the head or a punch in the face.

Tough guy dancers usually annoy the fuck out of me, especially when the run to the side and throw a cheap punch. I'm 6'1 260+ so they usually don't try and hit me but to me thats more of a problem.

I bet this dude fucking hates Scott Vogel.

I heard he endorses maximum output. He also endorses smashing your enemies. ::)

I'm not into getting anybody's piss, shit, spit, or blood on me....so if I knew that was going to happen at a GG Allin show....I'd probably stand near the back ya know....if it happened to me, and I got offended, well, then I probably shouldn't have been there.

that's exactly where i stood. about 15 feet from the door. it was so disgusting and i loved every minute of it.. except for the music. gg allin's music sux..

...minus bite it you scum, infected with aids and the "when i die, put that bottle in my hand" song. those are some real gems.

also, being that i am 6'1, 170 lbs., i hate crowd surfers and stage divers. i have been kicked in the head more times than i can count. in fact because i tower over all these short children i feel as though i am a beacon for these dipshits. but it is a punk rock show. stand in the back or to the side, or ya know, some sweaty dudes stomach might touch your face.

God I love the internet. Feel free to harass him here.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1379305888

EDIT: And here is his band

http://www.myspace.com/crossinglinesband

EDIT EDIT:

And here is him (on left) at a concert 5 months after this incident. Doesn't look like he was very traumatized.

[image]

too far.

crowdsurfing/stage diving is only annoying when someone dives onto a section of girls, or people clearly trying to stay out of the pushing. for example, my little sister (who at the time probably weighed 100 lbs) and i went to a show probably 5 or 6 years ago and were standing off to the side by one of the speakers. this huuuuuge dude decided it would be a great idea to stand on a monitor and jump into the crowd on the fringe. needless to say, we both moved out of the way at the last second and the dude landed smack on the concrete floor.

i've found that people are fairly respectful when they see my camera. i've had dudes actually block stage divers/kids moshing so they don't run into me or my stuff. i know that this stuff happens at shows and i'm prepared to face any consequences that might come from being up front. if it gets too bad, i just move to the back!

except for assholes that jump feet first or from a side stage/platform/booth from a direction people aren't looking. They deserve an elbow to the head or a punch in the face.

After getting kicked in the face at a small club show in Indianapolis that NFG put on in '09, I got back up, went to the bathroom, asked some people if I was bleeding (since there were no mirrors in the bathroom), and when I wasn't, I went right back up. No big deal.

I was not happy when I saw people STILL diving feet first, and doing fucking cannonballs. You're not there for fun, you're not there for the enhancement of the experience. You're only there to hurt people, and you're a stupid asshole. You're just there to act exactly like the jocks you hate, and got into this culture to get away from. You have become what you hate.

Congrats. Hope you feel proud, dick. You deserve more than a punch in the face or an elbow to the head.