Greg Ginn continues his crusade to ruin punk rock

Odd Stuff. In my professional experience it is indeed very hard to claim Fair Use on music. It really doesn't make sense why SST would flag music that they don't own the copyright to.

I don't see the harm at all in letting fan created content exist but can respect not wanting commercial productions that are garnering ad revenue to continue.

The revenue stream brought in by ads and page views is hardly incidental enough to even pay his accountant for the time to keep track of it all I'd imagine - sounds like the guy think there's more money in the big bad YouTube machine than there really is. That or he got bored because his cats started ignoring him.

This guy is the worst case to argue copyright about since to my knowledge his business practices aren't exactly considered above board.

Divorcing this from Ginn - there is something to be said for a label protecting the integrity and intent of their bands music by not allowing it to be commercially manipulated - be it on a big or small scale - by for profit companies. He is right in pointing out that YouTube is not exactly a collective of fans but in fact a multi-billion dollar company that's business is driven by fan created content for which no one but the parent organization really profits.

I don't however see the real harm in allowing one's fans to cut their skateboard videos to a Black Flag song. The protection of copyright is often defended to the detriment of those supposedly being protected and in this instance it looks to me like he is going overboard.

I know nothing about copyrighting music or youtube's software, so I will just let others comment on that.

Who gives a shit if youtube videos have low quality audio? Probably 75% of people who hear them do through shitty computer speakers, so they couldn't tell the difference if it was a perfect recording. Utilizing the quality of youtube videos as a reason for their removal is a joke.

I would buy so much reissued SST stuff, given the proper treatment.

Isn't most SST stuff that matters still in print, either through SST or other labels?

http://store.sstsuperstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=E&Category_Code=Bands

I mean, it's not like we're ever going to see a deluxe edition of My War or anything.

I would buy so much reissued SST stuff, given the proper treatment.

Isn't most SST stuff that matters still in print, either through SST or other labels?

http://store.sstsuperstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=E&Category_Code=Bands

I mean, it's not like we're ever going to see a deluxe edition of My War or anything.

That's what I mean. I already own everything that I'd want to own from the label, on cd and vinyl. But I would love Elvis Costello Rhino-style reissues of all my favorite older stuff. Demos, live stuff, b-sides, whatever.

the guy has every right to stop his material from being posted on a site (youtube) who is profitting from ads, from the viewing of said videos. Wether or not he brought down the other shit is neither here nor there (go look at the list of RIAA labels... tons of them are not actually affiliated with the RIAA... shit happens sometimes) if he doesnt want his shit on there, it shouldnt be on there

the guy has every right to stop his material from being posted on a site (youtube) who is profitting from ads, from the viewing of said videos. Wether or not he brought down the other shit is neither here nor there (go look at the list of RIAA labels... tons of them are not actually affiliated with the RIAA... shit happens sometimes) if he doesnt want his shit on there, it shouldnt be on there