Good 'Skramz' Bands?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person to think Skramz is the dumbest label ever given to a genre or sub genre? Whoever coined it must have thought "how can I come up with something more annoying than calling a band emo?" Mission accomplished.

(Plenty of the bands above are great so its not the music I'm referring to)

Am I the only person to think Skramz is the dumbest label ever given to a genre or sub genre? Whoever coined it must have thought "how can I come up with something more annoying than calling a band emo?" Mission accomplished.

(Plenty of the bands above are great so its not the music I'm referring to)

this term seemed to come out of nowhere, but maybe I just don't pay attention.

We Were Skeletons and Pyramids are good.

I don't think the term is stupid at all. It makes a clear distinction between Orchid and Story of the Year.

True, but you can't deny that it sounds somewhat ridiculous right; skramz?

Oh btw I thought the singer of Fight Fair (and formally of some screamo band) made up the term on some forum to indeed keep old school screamo from post-hardcore with screaming.

You spelled LOLZ wrong, it is now LULZ.

I remember when calling someone emo was the easiest way to make fun of them, everyone took offense to the label. Then it took some hold with the larger indie labels and then in 2000-ish Seventeen Magazine put this out:

[image]

When that got around I thought for sure it would be the death of the label and we could all get back to normal. But no! It went mainstream with even Three Doors Down calling themselves emo. I don't even want to think about the term Screamo but we eventually get some brilliant jackass who needs another label and comes up with Skramz. A more obnoxious term than the one it replaced.

Look, labels are convenient ways to convey a lot of descriptive value quickly but these were a JOKE to begin with. To see it being taken seriously either makes this the longest running joke ever or the most annoying one.

All I really know is that Skramz is obnoxious as a term and it has me thinking back favorably on the image I posted above.

I must be getting old because until today I never heard this name to describe music. What the fuck is skramz?

I'm still confused because when bands like pg. 99 and Orchid were around people called that stuff screamo. but now screamo is used to describe all those bands who play warped tour. the bands that have the one guy who screams and the one guy who whines and mixes metalcore with pop.

Help me younger generation! Help me understand all this shit!

I must be getting old because until today I never heard this name to describe music. What the fuck is skramz?

I'm still confused because when bands like pg. 99 and Orchid were around people called that stuff screamo. but now screamo is used to describe all those bands who play warped tour. the bands that have the one guy who screams and the one guy who whines and mixes metalcore with pop.

Help me younger generation! Help me understand all this shit!

Yes, the original screamo is somehow what the word skramz came to define. jerseydave pretty much nailed it on the head in his post up there. It is stupid, but (if you are someone who needs to label everything) at least it helps differentiate between Orchid and The Used.

When I was 16/17, this was my go to guide:

http://www.fourfa.com/

Before answering earlier about Orchid, I had to look it up too - the definition has been around for a year. I get that folks are trying to differentiate the real stuff from the more watered down stuff of the last ten or so years but really, I just think of eggs.

I will sell my original I Have Dreams 3" cd for a good price.

Also, some personal faves from that era:

The Assistant - Year of the Dawg CDR

Orchid - Dance Tonight, Revolution Tomorrow 10"

You And I - The Curtain Falls LP

Pg.99 - Document #5 LP

The VSS - Nervous Circuits LP

Kwizats Haderach - s/t 7"

I Hate Myself - 10 Songs LP

And going back even earlier:

Indian Summer - Angry Son 7"

Ordination of Aaron - Immersion In A 90mph World LP

Native Nod - Today Puberty, Tomorrow The World CD