PO: Anthony Green - Beautiful Things (Out 1/17/12)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm really curious to see how the new Circa Survive album turns out since they're recording it with Ken Andrews. shit.

What has Ken Andrews produced and are you anticipating goodness or badness because of him?

These new songs are better than all of BSN in the first minute or so:

They remind me more of Juturna. Kind of have a blend of BSN and Juturna. If they can bleed out the BSN feel from the rest of this record and pickup somewhere more interesting and expand on the sound they began with, I'll be happy.

Anthony hinted at this "9:00 minute jam" type of sound that they were beginning to find themselves doing and held off of OLG before BSN came out and that got me very excited. Unfortunately that is not what we got.

I like BSN. Though it's not my favorite of the albums it's still solid and well worth the money I put into the records and the cd, I wouldn't pay the money I did for my juturna or olg records though. Either way you look at it, it's circa and it's always able to be appreciated

just realized I had the flexi in the AltPress issue I picked up at B&N. cool, I was just originally excited that AltPress was a dollar cheaper now haha.

I like the new song, really excited for Anthony to debut the track he did with Chino Moreno later this week.

also Juturna is the best Circa album, and the other two flip flop positions depending on how I'm feeling that day. Excited to hear what they release later this year.

I don't see why so many people talk bad about BSN. Everyone I know personally who listens to Circa digs it. I mean, it's not Juturna, but it's still damn good. I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but it's still Circa. After watching those videos is Circa, holy shit. I'm excited for the new album.

Damn, Anthony's album is so much more blusey than Avalon, but I'm loving it so far! Can't wait to see him on the 29th! Also get to see The Dear Hunter again. Maybe they'll play more than a few songs this time. >.< I mean, almost two hours of Manchester was amazing, but I wish Dear Hunter woulda played more songs.

i'm really curious to see how the new Circa Survive album turns out since they're recording it with Ken Andrews. shit.

where did you get this info that they are recording with Ken? Message me the link to where you found this info please!

it's in the AP issue everyone has been talking about for like the past two pages.

also, the full (standard) album has been on the music player at HT for a while. there's a few pretty cool tracks but it doesn't get to me as much as Avalon. it's also very very short.

where did you get this info that they are recording with Ken? Message me the link to where you found this info please!

it's in the AP issue everyone has been talking about for like the past two pages.

also, the full (standard) album has been on the music player at HT for a while. there's a few pretty cool tracks but it doesn't get to me as much as Avalon. it's also very very short.

it's already streaming? where?

yeah i think mcpherson is in the minority here. most circa fans seemed pleased with bsn although i see where he's coming from on certain aspects . while not their best I certainly think it holds up with the rest of their catalogue.

I'm certain that I am in the minority. What turned me on about Juturna is that it sounded like nothing else, even the groups that they were being compared to. The dual guitar approach was unlike any other band I had heard before. There were no bar chords strummed to death the entire time. That kind of music is still good but Juturna stood apart from that. For the most part On Letting Go followed suite. The song structures on Juturna were ever-evolving. Almost never did a song end with the established chorus and the movements of the tracks kept them interesting. These are just some of the aspects that drew me to Circa as a band.

BSN just about throws that entire game plan away for something more familiar. A songwriting style that has been heard for about 80 years or so. There are bands that follow familiar formulas and still fill them with great and interesting music. Circa was different and I liked that. Not to mention BSN was polished like a pop album. The previous efforts weren't lo-fi but they didn't sound candy coated either. They had a good balance and I feel like BSN was intentionally geared toward a mass market.

Its still Circa but its perverted toward a direction that I don't really like. I still dig the album for what it is but once I hold it against my long established standard for what Circa Survive is capable of, it pales.

Either way, I'm not trying to start shit. Just trying to clearly voice my opinion. I'd still rather listen to BSN over anything on the radio but there are a few tracks that I just can't get behind. I'm glad to see that the album garnered them a great deal more success and I think they deserved it from the start. I do hope they simply make the albums that are true to who they really are. Whatever that means for my taste.

Preach away bro. You're not the minority. Most Circa fans I know who have been around since the "Inuit Sessions" days feel the same as you, including me.

While BSN gave some solid tracks and a more polished/diverse album as a whole compared to their previous efforts, it just can't compare to Juturna's ever changing song structures that keep you hooked every second.

I don't want to give drugs all the credit for their creativity, especially since they've created great things (including solo projects) after it, but I will say it probably greatly influnced that particular writing style they had (numerous time changes, gloomy and eerie vibes). Since they've all sobered up and wifeyed down I really can't see it happening again, sadly. Still love them though and can't wait for the next album!

And now back to Beautiful Things discussion :]

it's already streaming? where?

at hot topic. employees can select new albums to play from a new release channel and i played it like three times.

McPherson, I do agree with you on the fact that it was a little too polished and not as raw as before. That's one thing I initially noticed when it came out. Haha. But I still dig it. It is probably my least favorite Circa album, but I love them all.

EDIT: Bahaha. Fail.

Either way, I'm excited for all this stuff being talked about in this thread.