HD TV Help (Cyber Monday)!

kouka

I've decided to get a tv.. looking at a 40" or 42", 1080, and debating between the 60hz and 120hz. And with tomorrow being Cyber Monday, I'm hoping to seal this deal tomorrow.

I know very little, but I've read some stuff online and I'm pretty sure those are the specs I'm looking for.

Questions:

Name brand vs. some other no-name? Truthfully, I would watch maybe an hour or 2 a day, nothing more than that..

60hz vs 120.. all specs the same, 60hz being $329 and 120hz being $399, is it worth it to bump up or just stay at 60?

I don't care about HD tv channels, I would realistically watch a couple shows on tv, but mainly use it for movies - DVD and hopefully connecting my laptop to it to watch movies that way too.

Any help is appreciated! And if you have links for good deals, that would rule too!

Honestly, I'd say pay the little bit extra and get a 120. The difference might not be apparent immediately but there is a huge difference. Go LCD not plasma. Surprisingly, Best Buy's brand Dynex isn't too bad in quality or price. I have one in my bedroom with a built in DVD player and it's been kicking strong for over 4 years. Ultimately the best bet is to go to a store and see what looks best for you though. My dad bought a TV and swears it's the best thing ever, whereas I feel like it has some issues with the picture.

The 60hz vs 120hz is the refresh rate, essentially the 120 can refresh the picture twice as fast. If you watch sports or things with fast action you may notice a difference. If your not a big TV dude (and it sounds like you are not) it probably won't be that big of an issue either way. That said, the price difference seems small so you may as well. There is no downside.

Personally I'd stick with a name brand over a store brand. Any of the big to mid size ones will work fine. But don't judge by comparing the picture in store, they could have different inputs, cables, etc.

I read about the 60 vs 120 and it seems movies and tv are no more than 60 at the source, so the 120 almost makes up parts, if that makes sense.

So post me some deals if you see them today!

Oh.. and I remember reading about something called The Box? I wanted something to keep plugged into the tv that I can have movies on, any thoughts/recommendations?

80 inch tv for $320:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5123-....2502485&sr=8- 1

I will never buy a flatscreen again. I love my projector. It will be more like $400 if you get a screen and a mount, but they are so much better value and the quality is just as good as long as you don't have to use them in bright light conditions.

my parents (read: my mom and i) are looking at upgrading from their 32" tv to a 40" one, and my mom is looking at this one right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40D6000-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B004NB4TTA/ref=lh_ni_t

thoughts?

and has anyone ordered something like a tv from amazon before?

I got this TV Saturday night before the three-day "Black Friday" sale was up and for a buck cheaper on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32D450-3....2512 246&sr=1-1

Best buy had an older model for twenty-something less but with tax, this came out cheaper.

Not the best deal of the holiday weekend but sure saved $70 what it costs normally and got free shipping.

Did anyone catch that 42" Panasonic at Best Buy for $199!?!?

My father in law is a Dr. in Chemistry and has patents with a lot of tech that is involved with HDTVs. Crazy I know.

Anyways, he has told me that Panasonic Plasmas give the best picture out of any TVs out there.

We also talk about 3-D technology and techniques, since that is what he's working on now. Dude is freaking amazing.

Whatever you end up buying you will be happy with once you get it home.

If you plan on doing blu ray or video games stick with 1080p 60hz+. If not get 720p 60hz. Not a lot of content available that is truly 1080p and 240hz.

HD through cable, antenna, or sat is going to be 720. Direct has some programming on demand at 1080.

Most tvs have a one year warranty. Best buy insignias have two and free shipping on their site.

My father in law is a Dr. in Chemistry and has patents with a lot of tech that is involved with HDTVs. Crazy I know.

Anyways, he has told me that Panasonic Plasmas give the best picture out of any TVs out there.

We also talk about 3-D technology and techniques, since that is what he's working on now. Dude is freaking amazing.

This

Oh.. and I remember reading about something called The Box? I wanted something to keep plugged into the tv that I can have movies on, any thoughts/recommendations?

I have the WD Live box and i love it. Just hook it up to the tv and plug in a harddrive and you can watch/listen any type of video/music files. i think the newer versions have built in wifi to get youtube...

Right now i have 3TBs worth of TV shows rocking... Its nice to have just about every episode of every tv show that i like.

If that is what you are talking about.

my parents (read: my mom and i) are looking at upgrading from their 32" tv to a 40" one, and my mom is looking at this one right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40D6000-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B004NB4TTA/ref=lh_ni_t

thoughts?

and has anyone ordered something like a tv from amazon before?

I ordered my tv from Amazon. They send you an e-mail saying when you will receive it. The delivery guy will call and ask for directions and carry wherever you want. The delivery guy I got was a little older so I helped him carry and gave him a tip(shipping was free). I would say look at the tvs you are thinking about purchasing at the store and, then order it from Amazon. The tv actually game earlier then the first email said.

So, opinions vary pretty widely on this, but if I like to watch my TV in a relatively low-lit room most of the time, and I'm going to use it for video games a lot, plasma is a good way to go, right?

I've heard it said plasma is better for video games anyway, if you don't need the super brightness of the screen.

So, opinions vary pretty widely on this, but if I like to watch my TV in a relatively low-lit room most of the time, and I'm going to use it for video games a lot, plasma is a good way to go, right?

I've heard it said plasma is better for video games anyway, if you don't need the super brightness of the screen.

I love my plasma. I play video games on it all the time. No problems. The room I have it in, is low lit. Most plasmas have a game mode, that adjusted the video settings.

So I ended up getting a Sony, so far so good.. the bummer comes from my cable. HD channels are crystal clear but analogue channels are crazy unclear (like there's a bad connection).

Best Buy fills me in on why, and a friend initially said to buy an analogue to digital converter box (which makes sense to me). Bet Buy guy tells me that won't matter.

A 10 year old tube TV in my house shows analogue fine because that's what it's meant to do.. my TV is digital. He says the only thing to do is call my cable provider and upgrade to digital. I don't want to pay extra.

Rationally, I still think an analogue to digital should work, but I don't know shit about this stuff. Do I have any other options? Are there any other magic boxes out there I can buy to alleviate this problem?

also..

looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005KOZNBW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323007414&sr=8-2

I want to be able to watch movies/video I have in electronic form, which this seems to do. I also mainly stream movies and TV shows from like Hulu or Megavideo, is there a box like this that will allow me to essentially browse the internet too?

I realize I could just play my laptop through my TV, but I'm trying to streamline this.