Official RSD 2012 information/releases thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Numero Group:

NUMERO GROUP TO RELEASE EASY LISTENING COMPILATION FOR RECORD STORE DAY; WTNG 89.9FM: Solid Bronze

[image]

Listen to Archie James Cavanaugh's "Take It Easy" here:

http://pitchfork.com/news/45628-new-release-various-artists-wtng-899-fm-solid-bronze/

The Numero Group's ode to radio station compilation albums of yore, back in the days of when FM radio jocks stoked the flames of stage acts in their broadcast area with hyped-up talent shows, invaluable airplay, and homegrown LPs stacked with the best efforts of bands not more than a few counties away. WTNG 89.9 covers all of that ground and then some: smooth rock, AOR, easy glide, hot tub soul, and earnest yacht rock sailing gentle radio waves. Fans of the Dans-Fogelberg, Steely, Seals, and Hill-this is your Numero record.

There was a time when your hometown station really was your hometown station. Before media conglomerates demanded your coastal burg's FM band be auto-shuffled via hard drive from a bunker in Alberta, regional frequencies battled tooth-and-nail for listener loyalty. Your allegiance was hard fought for by nicknamed jocks like Mad Dog Mike, The Big Bumper, and Captain Whammo, guerilla marketers high on major label cash and coke who'd stoop to any gimmick to keep the listener tuned in. They'd hand out keys to shiny new convertibles at remote broadcasts from Dairy Queen whilst skywriters spewed call letters over their broadcast domain. Free t-shirts were promised to eleventh callers who could recite station jingles. Repurposed weather copters spotted bumper stickers during drive time, offering the registered owner tix to REO Speedwagon's gig at the county fair. At Chicago's Comiskey Park, WLUP's Disco Demolition Night rigged 100,000 unwanted LPs with explosives, detonating the pile on-field between games at a White Sox doubleheader and sparking a riot of fans united only by radio-promoted anger at a pop genre. At their best, though, radio stations offered coin of unique value back to their listeners. Though local acts got less than 5% of any given playlist, even such airwave leftovers kept small-time hopes alive. "Battles of the Bands" were staged, judged by on-air personalities and regional A&R reps, and winners got their shot at the big time. A handful of these epic contests were committed to wax for posterity, ad dollars, or tax shelter; only in hindsight is their full brilliance apparent.

When done correctly and courageously, radio station comps were referenda on the local pop talent, generating minor mountains of magnetic tape piled upon Program Directors' desks, and culminating in alternately grueling and inspiring late-night listening sessions. Most groups hoped to emulate contemporary hitmakers, tailoring their sounds to the fickle tastes of major label brass. Unlike run-of-the-mill custom-recorded and privately issued amateur LPs, these best possible efforts of a listening area's crop got the sheen of professionalism that obscures their "local" status: Ordained into service by radio overlords, these tracks were gonna make it. How could their humble creators ever doubt it?

In the spirit of the Great Radio Comp, we present WTNG 89.9 FM - Solid Bronze, in tribute to 11 would-be chart-climbers that scaled only their given city's broadcast tower and fell. Here are working artists who deserve acknowledgement for their working-class commitment. None of them "made it," but they believed-and so will you-in their one great song, that single shining moment in which everything came together and even those who owned the airwaves had to stop...and listen. These shouts into the void inspired momentary dreams of the big show, sold out in hours by a 15,000-seater's box office, and a single pair of tickets left, awarded only to the 89th caller.

Phone lines remain open.

Here are the Polyvinyl RSD releases:

Starfucker – Heaven's Youth (Reptilians Demos)

- Limited to 1000 copies on 180-gram white vinyl

- Includes digital download code

- Format: 12" LP

Saturday Looks Good to Me – All Your Summer Songs

- includes digital download code

Deerhoof / of Montreal – Stygian x} Bisection

- Limited to 2000 copies on 180-gram clear gold vinyl

- Format: split 7"

Mates of State – Crushes (The Covers Mixtape)

- Limited to 1500 copies on 180-gram clear vinyl

Xiu Xiu / Dirty Beaches – Xiu Xiu / Dirty Beaches split

- Limited to 2000 copies on 180-gram vinyl

- Format: split 7"

matt pond PA – Several Arrows Later

- Limited to 1000 copies on 180-gram vinyl

matt pond PA – Measure

Hey Mercedes – Hey Mercedes EP

- Limited to 700 copies on 180-gram vinyl

Rainer Maria – Rainer Maria

- Limited to 300 copies on 180-gram vinyl in screen printed jackets

ooooo starfucker! reptilians is a badass album.

right now, from what i can remember, all im really looking forward to is that, the built to spill/dino jr, sigur ros... and im pretty sure there was at least one more.

Wish I could... I'll have to wait until someone else leaks the info or it's announced. Just following orders.

You're right, you shouldn't tell people you're reissuing Cursive's Burst & Bloom on vinyl and that there will be an RSD-exclusive color. It's best to sit on that information for as long as possible. ;)

Say what now Scott? You pulling our legs, or for serious?

Looks like there's a hanful of good stuff I'm interested in this year.... that Cursive EP, if real, the Doomriders split, RHCP, Flaming Lips comp, El Camino (still haven't got the original on vinyl so why not wait and get this one), Gogol Bordello release. Dine Alone still hasn't announced their releases and who knows what we still haven't seen in the official release list due out later this month. Colour me excited. Previous RSD events I've only been interested in 1 or 2 items.

Here are the Polyvinyl RSD releases:

Starfucker – Heaven's Youth (Reptilians Demos)

- Includes digital download code

matt pond PA – Measure

Very excited about these.

Go on...

Wish I could... I'll have to wait until someone else leaks the info or it's announced. Just following orders.

You mean these releases:

• Icky Blossoms Babes b/w Chicas 7" (1000 copies, colored vinyl)

• Pujol Reverse Vampire b/w Psychic Pain (Home Demo) (1000 copies, colored vinyl)

• The Mynabirds Generals b/w Fallen Doves 7" (1000 copies, each numbered)

Cursive Burst and Bloom EP (yellow, white and black marbled color vinyl--1500 copies)

My only question is this...on the one sheet for the 7"s it said it was "random mixed colored vinyl", does that mean there is one color for the Pujol 7" or mulitiple colors? Such as 300 on red, 400 on blue, 200 black, etc.?

Here are some other RSD releases of note, recently announced:

• ANIMAL COLLECTIVE Transverse Temporal Gyrus 12" (features Part 1 and Part 2, limited to 5000 copies worldwide)

• REFUSED The Shape of Punk to Come DELUXE LP (Limited Edition Red Vinyl LP with CD, DVD and promo poster)

• FIREHOSE Flyin the Fannel Remastered LP (2000 copies)

• GRATEFUL DEAD Dark Star: Europe '72 Olympia Theater, Paris, France 5/4/72 (features 40+ minute version of Dark Star never released on vinyl before) 3000 copies

• MISFITS Walk Among Us (30th Anniversary Colored Vinyl LP) (1250 copies on Red Vinyl, 1250 copies on blue vinyl, 500 copies on clear vinyl)

• Wilco The Whole Love Deluxe Vinyl Box (LP, 10", 7" and slipmat in custom box)---same box you can get on their website

• ISIS The Red Sea--REISSUE WITH 4 BONUS TRACKS FROM A 1998 DEMO ON THE B-SIDE (Red/Black colored vinyl)

• FUN The Ghost That You Are To Me 10" (features 3 acoustic tracks on shaped vinyl, limited to 2000 copies)

You mean these releases:

• Icky Blossoms Babes b/w Chicas 7" (1000 copies, colored vinyl)

• Pujol Reverse Vampire b/w Psychic Pain (Home Demo) (1000 copies, colored vinyl)

• The Mynabirds Generals b/w Fallen Doves 7" (1000 copies, each numbered)

Cursive Burst and Bloom EP (yellow, white and black marbled color vinyl--1500 copies)

My only question is this...on the one sheet for the 7"s it said it was "random mixed colored vinyl", does that mean there is one color for the Pujol 7" or mulitiple colors? Such as 300 on red, 400 on blue, 200 black, etc.?

Okay, this counts as someone else spilling the beans :)

The "randomly mixed colored vinyl" is something that United is offering. It's actually just a bunch of random vinyl colors that they have on hand. Whatever gets mixed into the press. We did the Pujol 10" this way. They have it on sale right now, so it's actually cheaper than plain black. It may not be the most attractive vinyl color combo ever created, but I think it's at least more interesting than just black.

Somebody here has got to keep track of the dad-rock (or grandpa-rock) stuff for you:

- haven't seen a mention here of the annual Springsteen single - this year it's Rocky Ground/The Promise (live from Carousel) 7"

And although I haven't seen anything official, I can't believe they are putting out a Mermaid Avenue box on RSD and there won't be a vinyl option. That's gotta be coming.