Official RSD 2012 information/releases thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I preordered some stuff already from my usual record store and they hadnt heard of either black rebel motorcycle club releases which really bums me out. They said theyd let me know if they hear elsewhere and asked if it was UK only. So im not sure about those.

You need to ask your store if they get items from Cobraside Distribution. The 2 BRMC items are exclusive items from them.

Seriously can't believe they are releasing this on RSD. The only thing that could be worse than this album, is it being remixed. You think Death Cab would have learned with them charging $5.00-8.00 for their RSD Snippet 7" from last year. How about a Photo Album or We Have The Facts repress? They come up with some of the most random shit for RSD and sadly it ain't just Death Cab.

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/death-cab-for-cutie-keys-and-codes-remix-ep/2336

there are a few things i want...but i need the Phish release, junta

So real quick about the Phish release. The suggested retail price of the Junta version without the poster is $49.98. The suggested retail price of the Junta version with the artwork is $79.98. Each version is numbered and still limited to 2500 each, I thought the price difference was suprising

The reason for such a price hike is that the poster is a hand printed woodblock print by Pollock, which is an artist many Phish fans collect for poster purposes alone. I imagine both levels of this release will be bought up pretty quickly judging by the rabid nature of the fan base for anything new to purchase.

The Danny Brown XXX release on Fool's Gold looks pretty good. It's not the worst price and is actually a good new record.

You think Death Cab would have learned with them charging $5.00-8.00 for their RSD Snippet 7" from last year.

Death Cab were upset about that, they had no part in it. If I recall correctly, that snippet was never supposed to be sent to stores, it was promo material.

For whatever fucking reason the label decided to press it and sell it.

(not a fan at all, but people are getting way to cranky about this RSD shit)

Nonononono, it was supposed to be sent to stores, HOWEVER it was supposed to be free. You would buy something and then they'd be like "Hey have this Death Cab promo 7" too". But the distributor was charging for it which they weren't supposed to, so obviously stores that paid for it weren't going to give it away for free.

Nonononono, it was supposed to be sent to stores, HOWEVER it was supposed to be free. You would buy something and then they'd be like "Hey have this Death Cab promo 7" too". But the distributor was charging for it which they weren't supposed to, so obviously stores that paid for it weren't going to give it away for free.

Thank you, that was the deal, yes

Thank you, that was the deal, yes

Yeah I saw that on their Facebook page about they were not suppose to be charging for it but there was some miscommunciation between their label and them. Sadly a bunch of people paid 5.00 dollars or more for something that should have been free.

WHOA. source?

My blog and some other sites, e.g. vinyl collective.

Each soundtrack is limited to 5000 copies, is individually numbered and comes on colored vinyl. Empire on Orange, Pretty in pink on pink vinyl and Breakfast Club on Brown.

I read that the Breakfast Club was on "dandruff white."

My blog and some other sites, e.g. vinyl collective.

Each soundtrack is limited to 5000 copies, is individually numbered and comes on colored vinyl. Empire on Orange, Pretty in pink on pink vinyl and Breakfast Club on white.

I read that the Breakfast Club was on "dandruff white."

yep, that was the one I couldn't remember. Thanks!

Do you guys usually order these online or go to your local store? Our store in Salt Lake closed this past year (the owners had a baby) and wanted to get your opinion on ordering online?

Thanks!

There's something to be said for going to the store and checking out all the releases, but in terms of ensuring you get the item it's probably best if you reserve them online, because an item could be fully reserved before Record Store Day even gets here. I'm lucky to be in Madison where Strictly Discs is, so I can pick up the reservations I made if they're not out by then, but like I said before, you can reservations shipped to you from Strictly Discs, so if Salt Lake doesn't have an RSD-friendly store check them out. I don't think it makes you any less of a friend to indie music stores if you order online, especially under your circumstances. Hope that helps. Here's the link again: http://www.strictlydiscs.com/page/about/us/intheknow?id=105

from this link:

http://www.coachella.com/festival-info/record-store-day

"Many bands performing this year at Coachella will be releasing Record Store Day Exclusive pieces this year including The Black Keys, Santigold, Feist, The Hives, M83, Florence + The Machine, Arctic Monkeys, The Refused, Miike Snow, Childish Gambino, Mike Watt, Grouplove, The Black Angels, Kimbra, Gary Clark Jr., Laura Marling, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Real Estate, M. Ward, Death Grips, fIREHOSE and St. Vincent.

We will also have a few exclusives that will only be available both weekends of Coachella. First is At The Drive-In’s amazing Vaya EP is being repressed on colored vinyl and will be limited to only 500 copies. Also Ximena Sarinana will be releasing a Coachella only 7” limited to 500. More exclusives are in the works so stop by and check us out."

Ok, who is going to Coachella?

We will also have a few exclusives that will only be available both weekends of Coachella. First is At The Drive-In’s amazing Vaya EP is being repressed on colored vinyl and will be limited to only 500 copies.

Why Vaya? Not that it sucks or anything but that's pretty lame (as is doing a pressing just for Coachella). :-/

What is this bullshit?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/03/at-the-drive-in-reissuing-vaya-for-record-store-day/

- 7"

- /500

- Only available to Coachella attendees.

EDIT: Missed that this was already posted.

The one good thing is that this could indicate that the rest of the LP's will be repressed soon!

Looks like COS probably just fucked up and said it was 7" because the Coachella link uses punctuation to indicate that the Ximena release is a 7" but they never give a size for Vaya.

It will probably be released as a 10" like its supposed to. However, the limitation is pure bullshit.

Is the Morrissey 10" still happening? I got a copy of Alliance's distro list and it's not in there. (also it says the soundtracks are 2,000 pressed, not 5,000, FWIW). Very bummed if the Morrissey record has evaporated (though that'd be fitting, eh?).

I was always under the impression that the Morrisey was a RSD UK exclusive item (those will be announced on Monday).

Also, remember that Alliance is a distributor, they don't get everything. The 1 sheet from the label (Universal) says that there are 5000 copies worldwide, each numbered. Which probably means that they'll be available overseas too.

so what's going to be the impossible this year and most in demand?? I think last year had to be C&C

Here is my list:

a) Gorillaz Do Ya Thing 10". Limited to just 500 copies, this 10" features the unreleased 13 minute full version of the track that also features Andre 3000 and LCD Soundsystem. Fans of Blur, Outkast, Gorillaz and LCD Soundsystem should want to add this to their collection. Plus, with Universal buying Capital/EMI, and the confusion of distribution and you get an item that will be a nightmare to find, but will be highly collectible.

B) The Pearl Jam side project set of releases. Pearl Jam is already a highly collectible band. This year for Record Store Day, sees 4 separate releases each more limited than the next. Getting a complete set will take effort and luck. These items are:

•Eddie Vedder Love Boat Captian (LIVE) b/w Wishlist (LIVE) 7" (1500 copies only)

•Brad Waters Deep b/w Pressure is On (2 new tracks on transparent 7"--1000 copies only)

•Po & The 4 Fathers Kingdom Come (vocals by Eddie Vedder) b/w Do Da (guitar by Stone Gossard) (600 copies only)

•Mike McCready & Star Anna Keep On b/w Call Your Girlfriend (300 copies only!)

c) Horrible Crowes I Witnessed a Crime b/w Blood Loss 7" RED VINYL (300 copies only, exclusively sold only at Fingerprints Record Store in California). Thank you Side One Dummy, if you want to make it up to me, please send me one of these!! Otherwise, chance are slim and none that you'll be able to get this. Horrible Crowes features Brian Fallon from The Gaslight Anthem and they released one of the better albums last year in Elise.

d) Sigur Ros Hvarf/Heim (150g colored vinyl, 1200 copies only). First time on vinyl for this release from this highly collectible band. Not being released overseas means a majority of their fans will have to resort to Ebay to add this to their collection.

e) Death Cab for Cutie Codes and Keyes Remix LP (400 copies only, each numbered). For fans who liked either the new album or the remixed album. Regardless, this will move up to become one of the rarest Death Cab items released in their discography.

f) Wilco The Whole Love Deluxe Box (300 copies only). Originally available through Wilco's website, this deluxe version includes the Whole Love LP, the Speak Into the Rose 10", the 7" (blue or clear vinyl--random) and a slipmat housed in a nice, slide-out box. Wilco fans are crazy and those that missed out on this online, now have another chance to grab it, provided your store is lucky enough to get it.

g) Coldplay Up With the Birds b/w UFO 7" (1000 copies only) See the Gorillaz example above. A lot of stores will have problems getting this. Plus, this is the first participation in Record Store Day for a band with a worldwide following (think how crazy U2's Live release was for Black Friday 2010 and you can get an idea).

Other items that I think will also be in demand:

•Phish Junta (Pollack Edition)

•Electronic Anthology Project featuring J Masic on PURPLE VINYL (500 copies)

•Hey Mercedes EP

•Anything by Revelation or Victory Records

•Misfits Walk Among Us LP on Clear Vinyl (500 copies)

•Social Distortion Hard Times & Nursery Rhymes LP w/autographed poster (750 copies)