Anyone else thinking about collecting tapes?

I've got probably 150 or so tapes to my name, most of them 90's era indie rock stuff. While I love having them, I find that I'll often go for records or mp3's before I make my way to them. There's a lot of cool limited run stuff that's out there and a lot of it never makes it onto vinyl, so tape/mp3 is the only way to get it - if the price is cheap (most new tapes are $5 or less), I say go for it.

Someone tell me if this is a bad idea.

If you think keeping records in good condition over long periods of time is difficult, then good luck with the tapes.

Imo, this is only being talked up lately by folks who think vinyl has jumped the shark (again) and now cassettes are the next thing.

There are no inherent advantages to having recordings on cassettes in the year 2011. (take it from a guy who has 300 of them)

My label puts out a lot of tapes. Just put out our 9th this year, actually. Lots of cool punk, pop punk, power pop stuff.

We get a lot of flak from people, but enough people buy them to show that there is a decent group sized supporting the format. Check out the label here:

www.hoseheadrecords.bigcartel.com

www.facebook.com/hoseheadrecords

Worst format ever. No tracks, lose their quality over time, can malfunction easy... what's the appeal?
it's coming back bro get into it . AND it's limited. the whole revival is just a gimmick & people are gullible enough but hey as long as someone get's enjoyment out of it

Worst format ever. No tracks, lose their quality over time, can malfunction easy... what's the appeal?
it's coming back bro get into it . AND it's limited. the whole revival is just a gimmick & people are gullible enough but hey as long as someone get's enjoyment out of it

This and this. Vinyl never quite left because it was always considered to be a superior sound format. Now that physical media is no longer necessary CD's are going the way of the dodo so anyone who enjoys collecting and owning physical media are swinging back to vinyl and joining those that never left.

Tapes offer none of those benefits. If you like having them then go right ahead, but I wouldn't expect them to hold value.

Doghouse Cassette Series

http://doghouserecords.com/post/11919088412/doghouse-cassette-series

Into It. Over It. - Proper - TBA

Kurt Travis - Title and release date TBA

Hot Water Music - Forever and Counting - available January 2012

The Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile - available January 2012

The Get Up Kids - Red Letter Day + Woodson - available January 2012