BOTCH Represses Rd.2

jeffbo

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deathbydrums

Agreed on the shipping prices. Same deal with Vacation Vinyl, but they're the same ppl, correct? They've screwed me more than once with my order and with the shipping price. And no, the "free" cds that I didn't ask for that they will sometimes throw in do not make up for shipping. I've stopped supporting Vacation Vinyl online.

From what I understand, Hydra Head dudes are close friends with Vacation dudes (and I think Aaron Turner has some money vested in Vacation) but they're not the 'same people'.

Vacation is a rad store and the guys who work there are super nice. Their in-store selection is incredible and carefully picked. Are they a few bucks more expensive? Yeah, a few, but honestly... I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to keep a unique record store open. Going to Vacation is always a highlight when visiting LA... those dudes are just trying to make a living selling records.

Hydra Head as a label... is a different story.

Aaron Turner and Mark Thompson who own/run Hydra Head are partners in with Pete @ Vacation Vinyl. But Mark and Aaron are hands-off in the day-to-day operations of Vacation...but at the same time the store gets exclusive label colors for releases and all HH stuff.

As for HH and their prices...it is what it is. I'm on the fence about the whole "Don't like it? Don't buy it" attitude. Part of me...the HH fanboy part that is...agrees with it when people start bitching incessantly on message boards. If you don't like their prices, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you to. Sure...they have a few releases people want...so it's a double-edged sword in a way then. You can still get the HH release from a distro...but then it may get marked up even more, right?

Aaron Turner and Mark Thompson who own/run Hydra Head are partners in with Pete @ Vacation Vinyl. But Mark and Aaron are hands-off in the day-to-day operations of Vacation...but at the same time the store gets exclusive label colors for releases and all HH stuff.

As for HH and their prices...it is what it is. I'm on the fence about the whole "Don't like it? Don't buy it" attitude. Part of me...the HH fanboy part that is...agrees with it when people start bitching incessantly on message boards. If you don't like their prices, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you to. Sure...they have a few releases people want...so it's a double-edged sword in a way then. You can still get the HH release from a distro...but then it may get marked up even more, right?

well said. plus, Pete is such an awesome guy.

The majority of hydrahead releases more then retain there value after their bought. If I were a record label and saw my realeases getting flipped for alot more, sure I'd mark them up. That's just basic economics folks. I know, the proverbial "but the true fans are getting screwed over" will be yelled somewhere from the internet. Just think of it as *gasp* an investment as well as a peice of art. It will appreciate over time, I promise.

I like a lot some music they put out but i don't like them...Then everytime there is a fight in me about buying from them or stop to buy everything with HH wrote in...

Anyway one thing is shure: i will never buy something directly from them anymore, i will prefer pay a few dollars more and grab their stuff i really want form other stores/distros...

I think their prices are completely fair! If you have not noticed. Hydrahead Releases are amazing. The jackets are thick and heavy, all of their records are 180g and colored(most of the time), and all of the stuff they release is incredible. Im glad they are the ones pressing botch, daughters, isis, cave in, and other fucking awesome bands. Im not even a huge fan of them but regardless what they put out is wonderful and for a few extra bucks to get a release that is all around well done is worth it.

I think their prices are completely fair! If you have not noticed. Hydrahead Releases are amazing. The jackets are thick and heavy, all of their records are 180g and colored(most of the time), and all of the stuff they release is incredible. Im glad they are the ones pressing botch, daughters, isis, cave in, and other fucking awesome bands. Im not even a huge fan of them but regardless what they put out is wonderful and for a few extra bucks to get a release that is all around well done is worth it.