Favorite Comics?

reading Bone for the first time now, very fun!

Bone is fun but as it progresses it loses some of the fun from the fist issues, IMO. Still great though.

hm, good to hear your opinion; looking forward to getting further into this.

Would you/anybody recommend this?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/4bone-jeff-smith/1107838311?ean=9781888963144&itm=24&usri=bone+comic

I read the first 2 issues through pdf files just to make sure I enjoyed it, so now I'm planning on going out and getting my hands on some. This seems like a nice, cheaper way to get it all in one shot.

edit: just realized that is the B/W version, any recommendations for the best color filled way to read these?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So last night I caught up with some of the new DC 52 stuff and while some of it was pretty bad (Detective, etc), some of it was really great (Batman and Robin, Swamp Thing, etc). My favorite though has been the first four issues of Batwoman. Really stellar art and really frenetic and wonderful pacing and writing.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Definitely can't say enough good things about this book - it's not for the fast explosions and never ending action crowd - it reads very much like a cross between a lot of the early Detective Comics stuff from the 40's crossed with the Greg Rucka penned Gotham Central. So good.

Sorry for continually upping this thread - this is my second post in a row on here so I look sorta pathetic but as I've been digging more into the DC 52 stuff in particular, I've been finding more stuff that I've been liking. I know Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing has been thrown around in this thread by myself as well as a couple of other folks and if a person didn't wanna dig through all of that and wanted to start fresh with the character, Swamp Thing #1-4 (#5 comes out in a couple of weeks) has been really great - the art is wonderful, the writing is crisp and concise and much like Batwoman, the artists are doing a lot of interesting things with panel structure and layout. Scott Snyder (also writing the brilliant opening storyline in the Batman title going right now) is doing a great job of refreshing old fans of the character while bringing in folks who may have never picked up a Swampie comic before with really great flashback sequences that have just enough exposition to aclimate the reader to the ST mythos (parliament of trees, keeper of the green, the elements of the red and the black, etc). Abby Arcane (Swampy's love interest in the Moore Run of the comics onward) has also been re-introduced with a newer twist on her character and it makes for a jarring and unexpected but nonetheless great read!

Robert Kirkman's stuff is also consistently great - The Walking Dead, Invincible, Astounding Wolf Man (now ended).

You missed my favorite of his.. "Battle Pope". Funny as hell, as long as you're not deeply religous.

I am a huge, huge, huge fan of "The Goon", as well as all of Eric Powell's art and the way that Frank Cho draws women.

Gotta include "Preacher" and "The Killing Joke", as they have the two biggest bad-asses in all of comicdom. Don't EVER fuck with The Saint of Killers!

I also enjoy "Bomb Queen", but that's just a guilty pleasure.

Our book collection is as big as our record collection unfortunately (hundreds of comics trades, a couple thousand single issue comics, nearly 300 cookbooks, a couple vintage children's books, a few hundred music/art/pop culture related books, etc etc) so we have to pay to log, but it's great for other things like recommendations and free books if you're into doing reviews of not yet released stuff! I haven't bothered to log the single issue runs of different series because I'm lazy - http://gs.librarything.com/profile/KrissStress

since i was on vacation, i got to read the following trades:

Batman knightfall vol 1 & 2

Batman: a death in the family

Batman: hush

Planetary Vol 1

Walking Dead Vol 15

Criminal: The Deluxe Edition (collects the first three trades)

Out of all of those, Criminal was the best, which says something since planetary and hush were really really good. Highly recommended. The knightfall and death in the family were nice vintage throwbacks. Want to get vol 3 of knightfall to finish the story arc.

The bad thing about reading these trades so fast is that i'm low on reading material. Next up I have the first sleeper trade and batman: cacophony.

since i was on vacation, i got to read the following trades:

Batman knightfall vol 1 & 2

Batman: a death in the family

Batman: hush

Planetary Vol 1

Walking Dead Vol 15

Criminal: The Deluxe Edition (collects the first three trades)

Out of all of those, Criminal was the best, which says something since planetary and hush were really really good. Highly recommended. The knightfall and death in the family were nice vintage throwbacks. Want to get vol 3 of knightfall to finish the story arc.

The bad thing about reading these trades so fast is that i'm low on reading material. Next up I have the first sleeper trade and batman: cacophony.

Ah man, Cacophony is BADDDDD. As clever as Kevin Smith is, he really doesn't have a handle on established properties at all - this one is a case in point. The whole thing reads like fan fic which is a shame given what the guy could have done with it.

You guys really need to get a hold of current Batman titles going right now - Batman/Batman and Robin are both so good at the moment.

really want to jump into batman/bat-family myself and i feel like the new 52 is as good a place as any. what titles should i be grabbing? were just talking bats related stuff here.

I'd suggest Batman (the main flagship title with Scott Snyder writing), Batman and Robin, Batwoman (probably THE best comic of the new 52) and Nightwing.

I think Bats is the most readily known character in all of comics (I'm not saying this as a DC guy, I'm saying this from a cultural stand point - sure Spider Man and Superman are really close, but Batman certainly edges them out by a margin).

This thread has painted me as mainly a DC guy but I love indies as well like I previously mentioned. Anyone who hasn't read Love and Rockets really really should - starts in the early 80's and the characters age natural from that point from kids in their teens to adults in their late 40's in 2012. Super solid storytelling, great black and white art and lots of character development.

oh man, i read all kinds of stuff. i have barely dabbled in DC cuz just i think 90% of their characters should have met their end in the golden age. batman is easily my favorite DC charater though. since i just stomped arkham city into the ground im ready to take on the beast that is batman comics (minus the few trades i have read here and there).

I just got back into comics. Hadn't read them since I was a kid. Right now I'm pretty obsessed with Star Wars stuff. The Star Wars: Republic/Dark Times series in particular, but I found a gnarly near complete chronological torrent of just about everything, so I'm reading bits and pieces of others as I go.

I got a trade of the first volume of Sandman that I've almost finished. I need to buy the next one. I've been reading X-Men Legacy a bit, too. I read Batman: Year One and have The Long Halloween and Hush downloaded. Need to start those soon. Oh, and what got me started on this comic kick was The Walking Dead comics. I'm caught up on those and now it's killing me reading month to month.

oh man, i read all kinds of stuff. i have barely dabbled in DC cuz just i think 90% of their characters should have met their end in the golden age. batman is easily my favorite DC charater though. since i just stomped arkham city into the ground im ready to take on the beast that is batman comics (minus the few trades i have read here and there).

I can agree with this statement for the most part. Really, the only two franchises in the DC empire that I care about are Batman (because along with him, you get his extended family of sidekicks and his rogues gallery) and the Green Lantern Corps (which has always been great but in the last decade has really stepped it up in terms of building a near legendary mythos).

I agree on The Walking Dead as well. When I first discovered it, I tore through it and have probably re-read the entire series a couple of times in the years since as well. So good.

I've beaten the dead horse of indies a bit but I'll ask again - do any of you like the more introverted stuff by the likes of Chris Ware (Acme Novelty Library), Adrian Tomine (Shortcomings, Summer Blonde, etc), Dan Clowes (Ghost World, Like A Velvet Glove, Eightball), Art Spiegel (Raw, Maus), Robert Crumb (Zapp!, etc)?

Kriss - I love the Indies. I just finished Any Empire and recommend it to you based on your tastes if you haven't read it yet. Chris Ware is brilliant and Clowes rarely missteps. When I was in Grad School Clowes and Zwigoff gave a speech and afterwards they were standing around and I asked if they wanted to go have some beers and without hesitation they were like "yes". It was a cool night. (I also stole Joe Sacco's whiskey with a friend one evening after being bored to death - that made the night a lot better). The University of Florida used to bring in a lot of artists to speak and I met some of the greats and have always found comic folks to be totally down to earth. I still talk of my two-minutes with Will Eisner like others would speak of shaking hands with the President.

I just got back into comics. Hadn't read them since I was a kid. Right now I'm pretty obsessed with Star Wars stuff. The Star Wars: Republic/Dark Times series in particular, but I found a gnarly near complete chronological torrent of just about everything, so I'm reading bits and pieces of others as I go.

STAR WARS LOVE! republic was awesome. i wish they would do something with vos in dark times but he is pretty much untouchable per lucas (the long awaited-never will happen-gritty dark times era live action tv series is supposed to have him in it). empire was awesome too. i have a lot of that stuff in my floppies box if you need anything. i have been trying to get rid of it all for more stuff.

and again, any fatale love in here?