Record Selling Dilemma

Okay, I sold a record to someone, and it was sent back to me as undeliverable. I checked the address against what I was given through paypal and ebay, and I wrote it legibly enough that it should have been fine.

I contact the guy and tell him it was returned to me, and wait for an "oh shit, I forgot to update my address!" message. Days go by, and nothing.

I reach out again. Nothing. I e-mail him. Still nothing. I e-mail the paypal address. Zip.

So this is back in August that I sent this out. IT's well outside the realm of him filing a claim, and it's way outside the window where you can leave feedback on ebay, which the person never did.

I was never contacted for a refund, nor was I given negative feedback. I've still got the record packed up from when it was returned to me, awaiting the inevitable response of "hey, where's my record!?"

How long would you wait before you give up?

Okay, I sold a record to someone, and it was sent back to me as undeliverable. I checked the address against what I was given through paypal and ebay, and I wrote it legibly enough that it should have been fine.

I contact the guy and tell him it was returned to me, and wait for an "oh shit, I forgot to update my address!" message. Days go by, and nothing.

I reach out again. Nothing. I e-mail him. Still nothing. I e-mail the paypal address. Zip.

So this is back in August that I sent this out. IT's well outside the realm of him filing a claim, and it's way outside the window where you can leave feedback on ebay, which the person never did.

I was never contacted for a refund, nor was I given negative feedback. I've still got the record packed up from when it was returned to me, awaiting the inevitable response of "hey, where's my record!?"

How long would you wait before you give up?

can you just issue him a refund?

I'd prefer to not hold onto the record, honestly. And my paypal funds have dipped lower than the refund amount, so I wouldn't be able to do that until I sell some more crap. (irresponsible, I know, but usually I'm not this craptastic with it. Things have sucked as of late.)

This same scenario shocked me when a Jack Johnson Lp came back to my house over the summer. I wanted the stuff gone and this was a low cost deal.

The only way I could consider the transaction completed was to issue a refund, which I did. But pretty sure I ate the original shipping but got an ebay refund. Never heard from the buyer and the record is still here.

I checked it again, and the thing was returned because the guy moved and didn't update his address on anything.

The only issue I have on my end is that it's not exactly a low cost deal. IT was a decent amount, or at least not a small enough amount that i'd be cool with letting it go like that.

I really just want to get the record to the guy. Why is this so difficult?

Yeah, or at least give this thread its proper title, "help me justify keeping this guy's money and my record".

I honestly don't want the record. It's something I decided to part with months ago, and had intended to do so months ago. It just showed up again. I'm really just not in a position to refund right now, but if the guy were to ever contact me and give me an address, I'd happily ship it out to him within 24 hours of that.

Unfortunately you should refund the money regardless at this point. It might hurt but holding money that isn't yours' with little hope of finding this guy to send him the record is morally wrong. You did nothing wrong but the way to make this right since he won't send an address is to refund the money minus shipping and fees so that you lose nothing.

My opinion. Good luck with it.

At what point is it on the buyer to communicate an address change? Personal responsibility, people. If he wanted his record, he'd send a message. It's not like idreamofpunk hasn't tried to communicate with him. Who cares if he's looking for validation? Sometimes we just want to know if others agree with us? I'd send one more email and then it is what it is. Because guy can't return an email, doesn't mean idreamofpunk should have to scrounge up cash to refund this guy. Times are tough, too tough to deal with idiots like this guy.

refund him a dollar and see what happens--it's nicer than doing nothing, and it'll probably prompt a "$1? wtf?" email

I like this.

but really, I've been trying periodically to get a response, and was kind of looking for (without saying it in the original post) a bit of guidance as to when I should give this up. I'm just going to resell it and with that money I get from reselling it, send $40 of that back as a refund. I can't spare the money from my checking account or paypal account right now. Kriss Stress can attest to the financial issues I've been having, and can back me up when I say that this is not something I can float and just hope to sell it ASAP once that money's gone.

Thanks for the words, all.

to be honest though, if you emailed him at his paypal address AND his email address....then how do you know you're not just sending cash to a dead paypal account? you tried your hardest to be honest. i say if he ever contacts you, then send him a refund, but if he doesn't just keep going. theres no way id send money to someone unless i was POSITIVE they were going to receive it and confirm it. How do you know he's not going to pull a fast one on you and once you send the cash hell come out and say that he never authorized you sending it to that account?

just saying, wait till he contacts you, and gives you a paypal address to send the money to. maybe he forgot his passwords and cant get them back. you never know. the dollar thing is the last thing id try. gift him a dollar, and instead of the general "youve got money" message, say "hey dude, where are you? i still have your record" and explain whats been happening.

i took a lot of ethics courses in college. so my words are worth more than everyone in the room without a philosophy degree.

hahaha. I've sold the record again, and once it's not a holiday, since I have the day off tomorrow, I'm calling up eBay to ask if they may have any other contact info, as well as paypal to make sure that if I refund the money it's not going to go to a dead account.

Thanks, everyone!

i took a lot of ethics courses in college. so my words are worth more than everyone in the room without a philosophy degree.

hahaha. I've sold the record again, and once it's not a holiday, since I have the day off tomorrow, I'm calling up eBay to ask if they may have any other contact info, as well as paypal to make sure that if I refund the money it's not going to go to a dead account.

Thanks, everyone!

Keep the money. The buyer couldn't be bothered to update his address or even reply to your attempts to get him what he paid for. He obviously doesn't care about it or he died. Either way you tried and you are entitled to keep the money. Call it a storage fee for holding onto his record for so long that he has now abandoned.

If you really don't want the money, send it to me because I could actually use it.