PO Cursive - I Am Gemini

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I invert every pitchfork rating and that's usually much closer to what the record is actually like for me.

That review was a lose/lose for Cursive and they do the same shit to every Bright Eyes review as well. They're both damned for not doing what they have already done but if they actually did decide to do something similar to the old, they'd be damned for being unoriginal. The guy personally didn't like the concept and that had him not listening to anything. He didn't comment on the actual recording, hardly touched on song writing (only to whine) and was generally dismissive the entire time. But the website has a habit of making themselves look fucking stupid so I wasn't overly surprised. They also gave the last Bright Eyes record a piss-poor review and I think it's easily the best thing they've done in a long time.

A big thing I noticed with this record though which may have something to do with how it will be received by these critics: I think it sounds shitty in headphones. The drums and bass have no real presence in earbuds, especially the drums. The difference from having it on the turntable or playing in the car is HUGE. Laptop speakers/ipod headphones don't do it justice.

The drums is easily the most noticeable part. In headphones I thought they sounded dead but I was playing the CD in the car the other day and they sounded awesome.

Also, I don't get the hate on the newer drummer. He is technically far more gifted, live he's awesome to watch (watching him play I Couldn't Love You live makes me think I can't even really play drums), and on record he plays to the songs so well. I couldn't believe the shitstorm he faced when he joined the band.

The drums is easily the most noticeable part. In headphones I thought they sounded dead but I was playing the CD in the car the other day and they sounded awesome.

Also, I don't get the hate on the newer drummer. He is technically far more gifted, live he's awesome to watch (watching him play I Couldn't Love You live makes me think I can't even really play drums), and on record he plays to the songs so well. I couldn't believe the shitstorm he faced when he joined the band.

I'm new to posting, but not to the board. Good to see Cully is getting a little love. I've known him for a few years. Great guy and great drummer. He's got a nice resume.

You can find his drumming on releases from Zookeeper, Bishop Allen, The Gutter Twins, Twilight Singers, Zykos and Shearwater.

He's the full time drummer for Cursive and Okkervil River now. Pretty busy guy.

I'm new to posting, but not to the board. Good to see Cully is getting a little love. I've known him for a few years. Great guy and great drummer. He's got a nice resume.

You can find his drumming on releases from Zookeeper, Bishop Allen, The Gutter Twins, Twilight Singers, Zykos and Shearwater.

He's the full time drummer for Cursive and Okkervil River now. Pretty busy guy.

Bummer so many people were opposed to the change, he's in my top 5 most enjoyable drummers to watch play.

has anyone made it out to one of the shows on this current tour. i'm really curious to see a setlist.

I've seen 2 different setlists so far.. fairly similar, but a few differences:

2/12 in Denver: http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2012/02/review_setlist_larimer_lounge.php

2/20 in Oregon: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/cursive/2012/wow-hall-eugene-or-3bde843c.html

Was actually hoping for a few more from the new album... or even a whole album performance. Been digging it that much.

I was underwhelmed by the new album. It's good, but the review on AV Club said it "could be a cousin to Domestica rather than a follow-up to Mama, I'm Swollen. I think the latter statement is more accurate. It's a pet-peeve of mine when reviewers reference hallowed albums in reviews. It sets one up for disappointment. My complaint with everything post-Ugly Organ is that they've been too polished. I'm glad to see their setlist covers a bit of Domestica, but am a little baffled at the choice to play The Martyr and not The Casualty.

i agree with that fact that everything since ugly organ has been too polished. tim kashers voice is best when slightly off pitch, thats fact. instrumentally, this album blew me away and at times i had a hard time believing that i was actually listening to a cursive album. BUT the vocals need to be turned down a notch on the mastering board and tims voice needs to match the style of domestica. if that happened, this would have been one of my all time favorite fucking albums in a heartbeat! i still love it, but there is room for improvement imo.

and just to add to prior comments, yes the drummer is an extremely welcome addition to the band. and yes, this album sounds a millions times better on my turntable and in my car than anywhere else.

• 1 year later...