The "can't believe i passed on that deal" thread.

You might be surprised. The jazz fans around here find one another. This would have been an incredible buy.

The Lexington label Blue Notes tend to get a tad too expensive for my taste - they're not on par in price with the pressings of records that Sun Ra and his crew would press by themselves but they're close.

Those original Sun Ra records are ridiculous. I had never even heard of him until I saw one of his records go for over 1K.

About Lexington addy, those are the very first Blue Note LPs (from 1939-50 they did 78's) and they ran from 1951 through 1957 while they were on Lexington Ave. Anything that came out during that time, with a Lexington label, is a first, second or third pressing. Pretty tough to find online cheaply unless someone just doesn't know what they have. But they sound the best, in mono, of course.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time I saw Unicornography at a Hot Topic (OG copy), said to myself "I'll get that the next time I'm in here."

Now I say "Tom, you're an idiot."

There were three at my local hot topic a couple years back and I bought all three of them for $7.98 each. Came in very handy on a couple of trades :)

i picked up no less than 10 of these of these... luckily the larry arms fans are too hip to shop there haha

What's the story with this? Did they make test pressings, but not follow up with an actual pressing?

Yup, some are saying they are acetates even, but would you make more than one acetate for any reason?

Both this and Eso-Charis I saw on eBay

theres usually more than one acetate made.. one gets sent to the plant to make plates, the labels sometimes have a reference copy sent to them to approve, and some shops id imagine keep a copy on hand to check against if theres any issues..... usually only the reference copies survive

For me it'd probably be some of the Fat Wreck stuff from years back. I distinctly remember going up for sale things like the bowling bag, Fat Club, the NOFX 7" club, but I was just getting into vinyl back then, and I passed on all of it. I bought The Decline CD when that first was released, would've been nice to have bought the LP instead haha.

I don't really listen to much of that Fat stuff anymore, but it would be nice to have stuff like that for trades/sales nowadays.

Since Wahoo mentioned "Love Buzz", I remember when it was in the high hundreds instead of the thousands but I always thought that maybe it would go down a little and I'd buy it then. D'oh.

I'm from the same city as the Hilltop Hoods (rap group) and I could've gotten several copies of their record "Back Once Again" for $10. It now sells between $200 minimum and $1000. I was only 13-14 when I could've gotten them but still, it really bugs me.

On a personal note the one time I've seen Jebediah's "Slightly Odway" on ebay I forgot about it ending somehow and it sold for $80 when I was willing to go way higher. Fuck.

Before I really collected vinyl, when the White Stripes released 'Elephant', I remembered hearing about the six different covers for LPs and CDs throughout the world. For Australia, it was with both Jack and Meg in white on the cover, but the vinyl itself was black.

I bought about four copies from the local record store, and sold them on ebay. The first one I got $75, the second about $60 and the third around $45. I had one copy left, which I planned to keep, but then saw the US version had coloured vinyl!

Soooooo....I traded it straight out with a guy in the US.

Now, due to a pressing error or something....it turns out there were only 300 or so copies in existence, and they go for a ton. I had four of them!!!!

New Found Glory's self-titled picture disc used at shake it records in Cincinnati for $5. Figured no one liked them anymore at the time (around Coming Home, I thought everyone else pretty much disowned them), and I thought it'd be there the next time I was in.

Stupid, stupid man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FOUND-GLORY-....it em45fe6946fb

still not even that expensive dude

Lets see...

Me first bowling bag set was $125 and i just couldnt swing that in college, plus i was convinced i could find it cheaper online and that never happened.

Nofx - Decline. I decided to order from no idea since i had a store credit and it was $6 vs the $8 i think fat was charging (for the clear). that was dumb.

Alkaline trio - for your lungs 7" - this sat in my local record shop for ever for like $4.50 and i passed on it every time. i ended up getting one for $15 but sold it like an idiot.

New Found Glory's self-titled picture disc used at shake it records in Cincinnati for $5. Figured no one liked them anymore at the time (around Coming Home, I thought everyone else pretty much disowned them), and I thought it'd be there the next time I was in.

Stupid, stupid man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FOUND-GLORY-....it em45fe6946fb

still not even that expensive dude

Admittedly, no it isn't but if you had the chance to get it for a fiver, wouldn't you feel stupid for passing it up?

Cesar11 and I bought some records off a nieghtbor was moving to SF and didnt want to take them up there, here is what I was passed on for $10 each.

First pressings of Sonic Youth's discography up until "Dirty", Husker Du catalog, every My Bloody Valentine release aside from "Loveless". I didn't have enough cash to survive till my new job started but I regret not picking these up.

What's the story with this? Did they make test pressings, but not follow up with an actual pressing?

Yup, some are saying they are acetates even, but would you make more than one acetate for any reason?

Both this and Eso-Charis I saw on eBay

R.E.X. was sort of a clusterf* of a label any way so it doesn't surprise me that they got that far and didn't follow all the way through. Even though they would have probably pressed 500 copies of the record, I'd imagine those (like many of the Tooth and Nail recordings of the time such as Joe Christmas) would be just as impossible to find too.

R.E.X. was sort of a clusterf* of a label any way so it doesn't surprise me that they got that far and didn't follow all the way through. Even though they would have probably pressed 500 copies of the record, I'd imagine those (like many of the Tooth and Nail recordings of the time such as Joe Christmas) would be just as impossible to find too.

That and this was all around the time of R.E.X.'s collapse (much of which was accelerated by the Argyle Park crew).

Paramore - Riot! LP sealed $40 the other day on discogs, as soon as my money transferred to paypal (literally a day later) it was gone.

Unless you were looking for a particular variant, last I looked it's not hard to find this for ~$20...

Though sealed would up the price I guess, if you're into not spinning the music you buy... ;)