They're Only Chasing Safety repress chances

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PS. I am not new to vinyl.

I owned a record store in 2003 - 2005.

Just because my login was created last year doesn't mean I am new BTW.

So You claim you have been collecting for almost a decade. Well I guess so have I? Big deal? No. Some people have been collective 3 times longer than both of us. Yes experience does usually come with knowledge. But also with time and experience people do learn and change some original truths they held. Your truth is 180 gram is pointless. Yet you agree on warping. And Like I said that's my only reason why I like and prefer it.

And If you are spending thousand getting records pressed why not have 100 or even 50 on 180 gram for people like me? Its your business and you don't have to I know. But its interesting if you agree with a possibly better condition of the vinyl then why be so stubborn on not doing it? Thats my head scratcher.

Again. I will continue to support Broken Circle release regardless of gram weight. As the quality music put out are great. My only very small wish is that silly 180 gram wish.

Again no attitude intended. Just my preference and opinion.

Well, back on topic... I really hope this gets repressed. I never listen to this album much anymore, but I'd love to have this for nostalgic reasons, I just can't justify paying more than $20 for it (not even sure how much it goes for nowadays, but i'm pretty sure it's a lot more than 20)

were referring to having that as an OPTION, not the ONLY option.

THIS!

Especially if it's a personal favorite album. Those recent Strike Anywhere represses were awesome. Exit English 180g on red was really nice. And weren't they like $9.99 or something. I don't know maybe $14.99. Either way, they were worth it.

Dude. I'm happy with my copy of They're Only Chasing Safety, but if this did get repressed, I'd prolly get rid of my old copy and get the new one. I would love to have the artwork on the deluxe edition. I was in 7th grade when this album game out, and it really shaped my future tastes in music. Those tastes have changed a bit, but I still love it.

Now, if The Changing of Times got pressed... Oh man. I'd be all over that. And also Cries and Acts.

I have to agree on the 180g thing, I like the weight, and the fact I don't have to worry about it warping

Kevin buddy, you and me oughta be FB friends outside of VC - yr current tastes remind me of the tastes I had at 19 and it makes me sorta nostalgic. hahah.

I was a senior in highschool when Changing came out and I loved that record. Saw them right as Dallas was being kicked out and they were way intense live. One of my best friends was pretty solid friends with them from when they were kicking around a garage so he used to hold it over my head that I never got to see them when they were doing their 10 minute long jams.

I used to see the vinyl version of Chasing Safety for $10 at Dave's here in Chicago for probably three or four years and no one touched it. If only I'd known...

I wish I had bought every copy of this at Warped Tour. could be making a killing right now. $10 records, those were the days. the same shit goes for $15 or more these day, like the Ø record. bare bones!

I've been wishing more labels offered 180 gram and for all these same reasons. the biggest difference I've noticed is a cleaner and more consistent surface. most thin vinyl has bubbles and flaws that cause pops and static. THAT is the shit I hate about thin, regular weight vinyl besides the obvious warping issue. besides all the budget pressings being off center with too small center holes and whatever other rushed pressing issues. it's really all in the pressing plants hands at this point though.

but a $2-3 180 gram price option would be ideal. $12 color, $14 180 gram. seems fair. most labels charge more for color vinyl as it is.

okay guys. here's the thing about 180 gram.

first of all, they're usually not actually 180 gram. sometimes they're close, sometimes they're not.

*i know most of you know this, but the grooves aren't any deeper in a 180 gram record. the less music you put on a side, the better the grooves will be.

*there's a bunch of other things that affect sound quality before the weight of the record, such as...

-length of side

-deepness of the groove

-what the original recording source was (mp3's, cd, analog recording, tape, etc)

-direct metal mastering vs. analog mastering

-recycled vs virgin vinyl

-the plant doing it (some plants just make better sounding records than others)

etc etc etc.

yes 180 gram feels nicer to hold etc, but you know academy fight song isn't making their most rare variant on 180 gram black vinyl because it sounds better, they're doing it because people will pay the money for it.

go ahead and listen to one of their 180 gram black LP's (such as one of the copeland records) and then listen to one of the thinner color copies of the same record. tell me there's a difference. then (and i'm not trying to toot my own horn) listen to one of the brandtson records i put out that were mastered PROPERLY and tell me the 180 gram black was worth the money.

i have 180 gram records that i know were sourced from mp3's that sound like complete crap. i would be much more interested in what the vinyl was pressed from, rather then the weight of the finished product. most records these days are just pressed from a copy of the retail CD.

as far as warping goes.... i guarentee you no melted piece of vinyl with grooves in it is going to be perfectly flat. turn tables are supposed to play records with slight warps with no problem. that's one of the reason the arm goes up and down. if the record is really warped, there was either no quality control at the plant or they got too hot at some point.

180 gram is a gimmick and nothing else. if i have an option between 180 gram or regular for the same price, i'll take the 180 gram because i know it cost the label more to make. but i wouldn't spend the extra just to get a little extra weight in a record that will sound exactly the same.

/end rant

first of all, they're usually not actually 180 gram. sometimes they're close, sometimes they're not.

*i know most of you know this, but the grooves aren't any deeper in a 180 gram record. the less music you put on a side, the better the grooves will be.

*there's a bunch of other things that affect sound quality before the weight of the record, such as...

-length of side

-deepness of the groove

-what the original recording source was (mp3's, cd, analog recording, tape, etc)

etc etc etc.

yes 180 gram feels nicer to hold etc, but you know academy fight song isn't making their most rare variant on 180 gram black vinyl because it sounds better, they're doing it because people will pay the money for it.

go ahead and listen to one of their 180 gram black LP's (such as one of the copeland records) and then listen to one of the thinner color copies of the same record. tell me there's a difference. then (and i'm not trying to toot my own horn) listen to one of the brandtson records i put out that were mastered PROPERLY and tell me the 180 gram black was worth the money.

i have 180 gram records that i know were sourced from mp3's that sound like complete crap. i would be much more interested in what the vinyl was pressed from, rather then the weight of the finished product. most records these days are just pressed from a copy of the retail CD.

as far as warping goes.... i guarentee you no melted piece of vinyl with grooves in it is going to be perfectly flat. turn tables are supposed to play records with slight warps with no problem. that's one of the reason the arm goes up and down. if the record is really warped, there was either no quality control at the plant or they got too hot at some point.

180 gram is a gimmick and nothing else. if i have an option between 180 gram or regular for the same price, i'll take the 180 gram because i know it cost the label more to make. but i wouldn't spend the extra just to get a little extra weight in a record that will sound exactly the same.

/end rant

I'm not trying to argue or anything, it's just that I don't think anyone expects 180g to sound better than 140g. It's just a matter of appreciating a thicker record. They're nice, and it's not really a gimmick if there's a benefit, which is that there's less chance of warping. I don't need the rare variant cover of some comic books either. The story isn't any better, but they're nice to have.

-length of side

-deepness of the groove

etc etc etc.

/end rant

Very informative. thanks. i too think that labels should be more concerned advertising what their actually pressing the vinyl from. EX. The new stay what you are repress they specifically noted that it was pressed from the original dat tapes. i thought that was pretty cool that they put that out there.

Kevin buddy, you and me oughta be FB friends outside of VC - yr current tastes remind me of the tastes I had at 19 and it makes me sorta nostalgic. hahah.

I was a senior in highschool when Changing came out and I loved that record. Saw them right as Dallas was being kicked out and they were way intense live. One of my best friends was pretty solid friends with them from when they were kicking around a garage so he used to hold it over my head that I never got to see them when they were doing their 10 minute long jams.

I used to see the vinyl version of Chasing Safety for $10 at Dave's here in Chicago for probably three or four years and no one touched it. If only I'd known...

Haha. Just send me a PM, man.

Yeah, I got to see them at Cornerstone FL when I went. But we were running later coming from another show and the crowd was so huge that there was no way we could get through. Of course, this was after Define came out. We went back stage and talked to Aaron and Tim, got pictures and junk. Cuz we were fourteen.

Funny story. Last year, I had an app on my phone that told me about local shows, and it said The Almost (Aaron's other band, for those who don't know) was playing at some church downtown, and me and my cousin have been big Almost fans since Southern Wearhee came out. So, we went to the show and junk. Well, it wasn't The Almost. It was Aaron's worship project. My cousin and I aren't exactly Christian anymore, but we'd already paid to see the show, and were like "fuuuuck". Everyone else was all worshipping and and shit, and we were just standing there watching. About half way through the show, between songs, he looked at us and asked if we were okay, and said we looked mad. I had to walk on stage and fist bump him, and he told me he liked my name. Then he made my cousin Shane walk up on stage and fist bump their keyboardist, Shane. :P It was awkward... We left before it ended. xDD

/end random story

Since this thread has been derailed already, I'd like to go on another rant and say how funny it is to communicate with people who are so young. This record came out in 2004. Guess what, I was 24 then. I had already completed my BA. It was a year before I started graduate school. Wow, that was so long ago.

Also to echo the 180gram myth debate, those guys are exactly right. Brent touched on it and dreamover mentioned it more thoroughly but groove depth plays a significant part in fidelity. I can't explain the science of it but people who collect records are very much interested in getting deep groove records (jazz for instance) from the 1940's-50's. But why? Sound. A DG record sounds so much more fuller and live than a standard groove record.

You youngins need to listen to more jazz. That is all.