I figured we needed a Third Man Records thread. Talk about new releases, shows, your third man collection, whatever.

Here's the latest news:

TMR Announces Live 7" Series
Third Man is very excited to announce a new leg to our ongoing project of live shows and recordings for 2012, a live series of 7”s that we’ll be launching with none other then Alabama Shakes from their performance here at Third Man Records for Soundland Festival 2011. Alabama Shakes, of course, are that hot new rock and roll soul group that EVERYONE is digging. Putting old school music back on the map and into our homes. It’s exciting. And this live 7” featuring “Be Mine” and “You Ain’t Alone” are two slabs of high tension deep southern soul cuts the likes of which used to drip down the walls in Muscle Shoals, only live. At Third Man Records. Like all of our live releases this analog recording was produced by Jack White III and mixed by Vance Powell. The dream team. To make it even more exciting, this will be Alabama Shakes first ever vinyl release and we couldn’t be more pleased to be the label behind it.

The 7” and iTunes will be available this February... Stay tuned for more details and firm release date, but for now check out this awesome artwork for the Live 7” Series!

tmr132thumb.jpg

Perfect timing! My Dad just sent me the portions of his last vault package that he didn't want. Specifically:

Raconteurs - Live At Third Man 12" - Black/Blue split

The White Stripes - Hardest Button To Button Beck Remix / The Dead Weather - Hang You From The Heavens Josh Homme remix 7"

[image]

[image]

Does anyone know when/if they're ever going to release that deluxe 2xLP of the Danger Mouse Rome album?

if anyone else collects rare third man stuff here, i'd be interested to see your collection.

I have an small handful:

[image]

[image]

[image]

My Dad has some of the SXSW 8"/13"s, the Incophone and some of the 3"s that go with it, and a ton of other Vault Exclusive stuff. He sends me the Vault stuff he isn't into - AKA most things that are Jack White heavy. I'm pretty happy with the arrangement.

Perfect timing! My Dad just sent me the portions of his last vault package that he didn't want.

Does anyone know when/if they're ever going to release that deluxe 2xLP of the Danger Mouse Rome album?

does your raconteurs LP sound pretty bad on side A? i guess a lot of people are having issues with a "whooshing sound". mine has it.

also, did you take those photos? how'd you do that? they look great.

all i know about the double rome album is that it was a split release between parlaphone, and they sold out the UK allotted copies in stores real quick before TMR even announced it was happening. During Voo-Doo fest or whatever in New Orleans last year, they were selling them at the rolling record store. that's the only time TMR has sold any. a couple were given away in contests through the vault. but unfortunately, they have not offered any for sale through traditional means.

may i ask why your dad is a member of the vault if he doesn't like any of the jack white stuff? seems like the exact opposite of all the other members.

I have all of the Vaults but I have only one tri color. I guess I am just extremely unlucky with the mailorder but was able to get a Pokey Lafarge tri color at his release in store, they only had 25 and they were randomly given out. I wish I could go to one of the variant sales, the store is a bit of a let down since it is so tiny.

Perfect timing! My Dad just sent me the portions of his last vault package that he didn't want.

does your raconteurs LP sound pretty bad on side A? i guess a lot of people are having issues with a "whooshing sound". mine has it.

also, did you take those photos? how'd you do that? they look great.

all i know about the double rome album is that it was a split release between parlaphone, and they sold out the UK allotted copies in stores real quick before TMR even announced it was happening. During Voo-Doo fest or whatever in New Orleans last year, they were selling them at the rolling record store. that's the only time TMR has sold any. a couple were given away in contests through the vault. but unfortunately, they have not offered any for sale through traditional means.

may i ask why your dad is a member of the vault if he doesn't like any of the jack white stuff? seems like the exact opposite of all the other members.

I haven't been able to spin it yet. I was about to, when my mom called me. I'm still on that call as I type... Moms...

Fuck, I didn't even know the Rome 2xLPs had gone on sale ever. I love that album and really want that version. Thank you for the info.

As for my Dad, he's a big fan of country and rockabilly. He's really into the stuff they put out that sounds like that. Wanda Jackson, Loretta Lynn, 5678's, etc. He's a bit neurotic, too, so the collector edition thing appeals to him. I'm a big Jack White fan and he knows it, so he hooks me up. I buy him exclusive stuff from the Third Man store whenever I'm in Nashville. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Here's my photo set up for all of my record photos. I bought pieces of foamcore at the grocery store for ~$1 each. The stuff you used to make projects about Komodo Dragons (atleast I did) in 2nd grade. I had 4 pieces for larger spreads (variants or collections), one got kinda fucked and I need to replace it. I digress. For single LPs and 7"s I just use one. Add in some sunlight from my living room window, plus some Lightroom magic:

[image]

I did the vault thing for the first 2 series. I also got lucky with mailorder and had purchased a 7" of the Dead Weather's first single and randomly received a Tri-Color (black, white, yellow) of Dead Weather - I Cut Like a Buffalo w/ etched b-side. Very cool and stoked about it, but kinda weird owning a 7" with only 1 song on it that goes for what it does on ebay. Should probably sell it to get that kegerator I've been wanting.

I did the vault thing for the first 2 series. I also got lucky with mailorder and had purchased a 7" of the Dead Weather's first single and randomly received a Tri-Color (black, white, yellow) of Dead Weather - I Cut Like a Buffalo w/ etched b-side. Very cool and stoked about it, but kinda weird owning a 7" with only 1 song on it that goes for what it does on ebay. Should probably sell it to get that kegerator I've been wanting.

that is one of my most sought-after releases and i might be setting up a hefty trade for one with someone. would you let it go for a trade or some cash? the TMR collectors are a bit crazy.

i'm slowly switching over to Google Docs for tradelists. I set one up just for my third man collection. It looks a bit neurotic, especially if you look at the first page. But the second one is all my haves. The bold items are limited editions.

http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0AvsTgoYIxKXfdElHTXI1WGhhTV9FaWdEWFBRU2JmR2c&hl=en_US&gid=1

I NEED the vault version of Ted Leo live at third man

No such thing... There was a Black & Blue which is a live@TMR... not the same as the vault releases which are subscription only, B&Bs are attendee only (save for small shows, the extras there get sold on the Rolling Record Store for $100 a pop).

Ahh now I understand, I've only ever seen one on ebay and it went for around a hundo, the search continues

Ditto... shoot'em an email about it, looks like the earliest copies had the issue as the folks just now getting it aren't having that issue.

I'm having the same problem. Glad it wasn't just me.

No such thing... There was a Black & Blue which is a live@TMR... not the same as the vault releases which are subscription only, B&Bs are attendee only (save for small shows, the extras there get sold on the Rolling Record Store for $100 a pop).

Ahh now I understand, I've only ever seen one on ebay and it went for around a hundo, the search continues

Yeah, typical price they go for... tickets for the TMR Live run about 20-25 these days, plus 20 in store for a preorder for the B&Bs... Used to have a 300 person limit for live shows, dropped by the fire marshall to 190.

The record press they use is URP which has a minimum 300 order for half/halfs... so expect every live show from now on out to be in the RRS for 100+....

I have a Jack White FFB tri-color, 2-3 other tri-colors, all but 2 of the SXSW 8" and 13" records, Black Belles absinthe, colored Let's Shake Hands and Lafayette Blues and the Karen Elson flower 7". Plus all the Vault packages. Considering I live nowhere near Nashville and getting them all at cost, I've done alright.

I have a Jack White FFB tri-color, 2-3 other tri-colors, all but 2 of the SXSW 8" and 13" records, Black Belles absinthe, colored Let's Shake Hands and Lafayette Blues and the Karen Elson flower 7". Plus all the Vault packages. Considering I live nowhere near Nashville and getting them all at cost, I've done alright.

how much you want for that absinthe? :)