so my wife brought home a puppy.

sadly no, they are in the living room right next to the entertainment center.

we live in a small apartment right now, but will (hopefully/finally) be getting our first home in the next month or two.

and also i agree with this guy.

brand damn new puppy = clean slate.

our last experience with animal adoption ended in getting a horribly disobedient beagle, who drug the trash out in the living room, destroyed stuffed animals, etc.

Shelters have puppies too. Just sayin'

And i am pretty sure all Beagles do that shit. My roommate had one and one time i was cooking a pizza in the oven and i opened the door and the beagle tried to get in and get the pizza off the rack. I had to push him off before he burnt the shit out of himself. However i did laugh all the time at how they bark.

I adopted my dog and she was really perfect (besides being a touch timid). She never ate/ruined anything ever and since she is a girl i dont have to worry about pissing on everything. I guess i got lucky.

As for your records, I would put that bitter apple spray on the corners of your expedite so he wont chew on it when he is teething, and maybe consider putting a mailer in front of each cub incase he decides to try and piss on your records. at least its some form of protection. Oh an make sure everything is in Poly bags.

But none the less Dogs are awesome, So congrats.

i am not the biggest fan of my parent's Maltese. Hes cool and never really destroyed/chewed on much but his bark is the worst noise ever and he barks all the time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

allison our last dog was much older (like 2) and had been an outdoor dog his whole life, he was in a shelter for like 4 days before we picked him up.

he was crazy as hell, and covered in ticks. this was a long time ago, before we even had kids. we gave up on him way too easily.

i hope the possibilities of breeding are there tho, nothin' wrong with free money.

i support the adoption buisness, and purchasing this dog was not my decision.

still, i like this dude, and i'm happy we got him.

no pics ??

[image]

we named him Wicket.

allison our last dog was much older (like 2) and had been an outdoor dog his whole life, he was in a shelter for like 4 days before we picked him up.

he was crazy as hell, and covered in ticks. this was a long time ago, before we even had kids. we gave up on him way too easily.

i hope the possibilities of breeding are there tho, nothin' wrong with free money.

i support the adoption buisness, and purchasing this dog was not my decision.

still, i like this dude, and i'm happy we got him.

no pics ??

[image]

we named him Wicket.

i approve of this name!

and before you breed or even think about breeding, do a LOT of research. i don't condone casual breeding especially when there's so many dogs out there already without homes. breeding it isn't really 'free' either, because there's usually a stud fee and paying for their papers/shots, etc.

my aunt bred her lab once before they got her fixed and it was a nightmare. her entire first floor became a dirty messy puppy zone, it was a 24/7 job (she never would have been able to handle it if she wasn't a teacher and had off all summer) and she said she would never do it again, haha.

I'm thinking if you're worried about the dog possibly peeing on your records or something you could get creative and get a roll of velcro, and some fabric that you like then attach the one end of the velcro to the top of the Expedit and I would sow the other piece of velcro to the top of the fabric. Basically creating a curtain that you can easily remove when you want to get to your records.

My wife did that with one of our smaller book cases, not so much because of the dogs(we have girls), but just to cover up the cluttery looking shelf. I can try and take some pics if you want if you don't understand what I'm saying. But if you want to kind of protect them in that way its one way to go.

breeding it isn't really 'free' either, because there's usually a stud fee and paying for their papers/shots, etc.

It appears Wicket is a boy, so I think he'll actually be the one getting paid for...well...being a stud.

you are correct! for some reason i just assume all tiny yappy dogs are females, haha.

I'm on Team Adoption!

My dogs are both hand-me-downs.

One is a pure-bred Yellow Lab that just couldn't be taken care of by owner #1 or my aunt (owner #2) so she ended up with us. We got her as a pup and she's great.. trained well enough that on walks I can drop the leash and she just keeps walking along side me. She walks herself anyway by holding her leash in her mouth. She's 14 and has never, EVER bitten anyone.

My other pudger is a soon-to-be 6 year old chocolate lab / Aussie Shepherd mix. I got her at 2 years old and she never made it to a shelter. I don't even know her history... somehow she ended up being taken from a person's home in Rochester, ended up at Niagara University with someone I have no connection to, then ended up being given to my friend's roommate, who abandoned her and left her with my friend who couldn't take care of her. I came home from Syracuse University and took the dog. She doesn't bite, she's unbelievably loyal even though she's been abandoned so many times, and she learns very quickly. Her only problem is separation anxiety, so if she's home alone she'll throw hissy fits and rip up papers or anything she can grab, but she's never destroyed anything meaningful. Actually, that's a lie, one time she chomped a roommate's DVDs.. they were all in a little CD-booklet thing and she chomped them all. She's a sweetheart, though. Every morning she's right next to me, even if I sleep in til 1pm, waiting for me to get up. She follows me room to room. She waits for permission before hopping up on furniture. She walks alongside me with no leash unless she sees another dog to run after.

My brother has a rescued pit bull from the Buffalo Animal Shelter and so far so good. It's fully grown but still a puppy so its crazy energetic, and he's not the best trainer so it's undisciplined, but there's been no real problems with it.

With all the good dogs out there that need a home, there's no need to go get one from a breeder.

train your lady right and tell her to adopt, not buy!

cant stress this enough ::)

so....you didn't properly train your last dog, but you got another one for a 'clean slate'? if a dog is disobedient, 95% of the time, it's the owners fault, not the dogs.

and no offense, but i facepalm every time someone says they got a purebred dog and can breed it to make money now.

this dude. c'mon...now your part of the problem with breeding...$800 on a dog? you have have 8+ adopted dogs with great lives. you can adopt young dogs if thats a worry. jesus...there is a reason when you adopt a dog it is 'fixed'...

whats with the argument on buying over adopting?

it's getting silly.

aside from being out about $800 i don't see what she did wrong.

this puppy is just as alive as those in shelters.

sure we may have not rescued it from certin death, but we have a beautiful creature that we're going to give a very good life to.

y'all folk silly folk.

it's getting silly.

sure we may have not rescued it from certin death, but we have a beautiful creature that we're going to give a very good life to.

y'all folk silly folk.

well, the only thing that's 'wrong' with buying one is that it supports puppy mills if she got it from a pet store. more often than not, that's where they got those cute little puppies in the window that were raised in deplorable conditions.

i'm acutely aware of the puppy mill problem - PA (especially lancaster county) is a hotbed for that crap. there are billboards like this everywhere:

[image]

but like everyone said, there's really no debate or anything you can do about it now. just raise it right and please, reconsider breeding it.

not like a stray or nothin'.

she payed $800 for this damn thing.

it's a pure bred, short haired maltese.

he's cute, but i've had mail male dogs in the past and from what i remember it usually ends in everything i love getting covered in piss at some point in time.

talkin' bout records.

folks with dogs, how do you keep your stuff safe?

All my records are stored on the bottom shelf of my expedit and not once have either of my dogs (one yellow lab and one black lab) so much as glanced (let alone urinated) at them. Just don't leave any records laying around on the floor which I'd assume you wouldn't do anyway since you've got kids.

More importantly, I simply cannot fathom why someone would pay that kind of money for a "pure bred" dog. To me that's code word for an inbred animal that is more likely to have health problems later down the road. Also, they're probably going to be less than average intelligence-wise. Need I mention the countless thousands of animals that are stuck in shelters that need a good home??? Sorry to get all preachy but I can't stand people that breed dogs and sell them for copious amounts of money. It makes me want to wretch.

it's getting silly.

y'all folk silly folk.

well, the only thing that's 'wrong' with buying one is that it supports puppy mills if she got it from a pet store. more often than not, that's where they got those cute little puppies in the window that were raised in deplorable conditions.

i'm acutely aware of the puppy mill problem - PA (especially lancaster county) is a hotbed for that crap. there are billboards like this everywhere:

[image]

but like everyone said, there's really no debate or anything you can do about it now. just raise it right and please, reconsider breeding it.

this is fundamentally my problem with taking the no puppy mill approach. i find them deplorable and they should be wiped off the face of the earth.

but those animals deserve a decent place to live man.