For the many people that question cassette tapes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have so many negative opinions on this that I'm just going to refrain from posting them, so as to not incite a flame war.

There is literally no benefit or point for anyone involved doing this. Give me one reason that this is an idea worth pursuing as a recording artist or someone who would purchase the tape, and I will paypal you the cost of one beer. Seriously.

I have so many negative opinions on this that I'm just going to refrain from posting them, so as to not incite a flame war.

There is literally no benefit or point for anyone involved doing this. Give me one reason that this is an idea worth pursuing as a recording artist or someone who would purchase the tape, and I will paypal you the cost of one beer. Seriously.

"There is literally no benefit or point for anyone involved doing this. "

that's what they said about putting out records in the early to mid 90's when cd's were so prevalent.

i'm curious as too what your opinions are.

to answer your question: it benefits those who still buy cassettes for whatever reason. they are dirt cheap to produce professionally and the mark up, while substantially lower than charging for a 7", have higher return value percentage wise. And if you don't sell them, your loss is miniscule.

Now where's my $10. :P

I'm almost tempted to package an issue of my 'zine with a tape of some kind. Running a few dozen of them would be dirt cheap but I bet most of them would stay pristine given how many folks actually have cassette decks.

it really depends on what you put on it. if you put shit that won't be released on a 7" or lp for some time, people will buy it if you get the right distro. i'd buy it if the bands were any good.

that's what they said about putting out records in the early to mid 90's when cd's were so prevalent.

to answer your question: it benefits those who still buy cassettes for whatever reason. they are dirt cheap to produce professionally and the mark up, while substantially lower than charging for a 7", have higher return value percentage wise. And if you don't sell them, your loss is miniscule.

a beer is $10 in Portland???? I'd need to start a kickstarter just to drink.

All this coming from the dude who bitches about new records coming without shrinkwrap.

he said the price of a beer. he didn't say what kind or size. I could have easily gone higher with a Imperial Stout that ranges in the $25-$30 a bottle. And there still are more expensive beers.

Can anyone recommend a good tape deck? Maybe with a CD player too?

I have like 10 tapes but only a walkman to play them on.

i had a onkyo that never gave me problems in 5 years of having it, not once have i had to fix anything. good times. with a cd' player, you'd probably have to get one of those generic home systems that are all in one. i don't really care for those.

i had a onkyo that never gave me problems in 5 years of having it, not once have i had to fix anything. good times. with a cd' player, you'd probably have to get one of those generic home systems that are all in one. i don't really care for those.

I've got a Pioneer home system with a CD player, duel tape deck and stereo receiver (which I use for my turntable as well) and can't say a single bad thing about it. Except I guess it's size, but it'd better than having all the components separately.

the problem with those generic home stereo systems is when one thing breaks. i had one and then the CD player broke and it cost more to fix it than it did to replace it. my MIL gave me a nice bose CD/radio player though so i can play my CDs again but now i don't have a tape player anymore since i got rid of the broken sony CD/tape/radio system. the only place i can listen to tapes on now is my husband's 2000 era car. otherwise, i'm with the people about collecting or buying new tapes... one thing i hated about them when i listened a lot as a kid in the 80s and early 90s was the tape spaghetti and getting jammed in the player/walkman/etc. never really had problems with CD skipping or even records. so i'd say the latter 2 are my preferred listening formats.

the problem with those generic home stereo systems is when one thing breaks. i had one and then the CD player broke and it cost more to fix it than it did to replace it. my MIL gave me a nice bose CD/radio player though so i can play my CDs again but now i don't have a tape player anymore since i got rid of the broken sony CD/tape/radio system. the only place i can listen to tapes on now is my husband's 2000 era car. otherwise, i'm with the people about collecting or buying new tapes... one thing i hated about them when i listened a lot as a kid in the 80s and early 90s was the tape spaghetti and getting jammed in the player/walkman/etc. never really had problems with CD skipping or even records. so i'd say the latter 2 are my preferred listening formats.

I can see this point - none of the cassette decks in my house seem to want to work.

It's cheap. It's easy. That's two reasons.

he said the price of a beer. he didn't say what kind or size. I could have easily gone higher with a Imperial Stout that ranges in the $25-$30 a bottle. And there still are more expensive beers.

Where I come from, those 25+ dollar beers are know as Hydrahead Beers.

I found a Denon DR-M30HX for $25 on craiglist. Used to sell for about $450 new.

You want a stand-alone 3-head unit. Craigslist or ebay is your best bet .. new cassette decks by Sony (about the only manufacturer still making them) can be 120-150 and only have 2-head design typically..

To anyone who says it's cheap - no it's not, it's a waste of fucking money. Digital is cheaper and even an 8 track cartridge will best the sound quality of an 1/8th of an inch tape running at 1.75 ips.

At least a band who puts forth the money to do a vinyl release is putting out a quality product that is worth paying for, whether or not they do it for nostalgia purposes.