UPCs & Uniqueness

Guest acoustic

Guest acoustic

Hey,

So I'm curious if UPCs are unique to specific pressings. Does anyone know this? I'm looking at this one record that was recently re-released, having a different UPC than the first release. The re-release comes in 180g and w/ a download code, while the original has neither. There is someone claiming they have a re-release, yet it has the UPC of the first release, while also having the 180g and download codes. Obviously this is conflicting. Which of these wins over as the definitive marker for which pressing it is? It looks like the seller is a bulk seller of vinyl, so may not be 100% aware of when that particular record was added to his inventory.

Hey,

So I'm curious if UPCs are unique to specific pressings. Does anyone know this? I'm looking at this one record that was recently re-released, having a different UPC than the first release. The re-release comes in 180g and w/ a download code, while the original has neither. There is someone claiming they have a re-release, yet it has the UPC of the first release, while also having the 180g and download codes. Obviously this is conflicting. Which of these wins over as the definitive marker for which pressing it is? It looks like the seller is a bulk seller of vinyl, so may not be 100% aware of when that particular record was added to his inventory.

A lot of the time labels will just reuse the UPC code for a release especially for a rerelease or repressing. It's cheaper for them since buying each UPC costs money although it does present problems like this. There's no real way to know for sure unless you see the record. Sorry.

Guest acoustic

That would be the reverse of this situation though. Where some of the details indicate the newer pressing but the UPC indicates the older. Note that there are two distinct UPCs for the two versions. This one seems to be an oddity in that it has characteristics that match both versions. So which characteristics win over?

Guest acoustic

Here's what I know: same label, same country, same master, upgraded to 180g with a download code, new UPC. A guy is selling one with the upgrades, but with that has the old UPC. So what tells you which version it is?

Here's what I know: same label, same country, same master, upgraded to 180g with a download code, new UPC. A guy is selling one with the upgrades, but with that has the old UPC. So what tells you which version it is?

Like I said no real way to know without seeing it, and I really doubt that it has a new UPC, because it almost never happens with a repress because of the cost of a UPC code.

some websites allow sellers to put in the UPC to get information rather than have to type it all in manually. He may have used the UPC the old UPC to get the information about the record. Easiest thing to do would be to email the seller and confirm that it's the 180g with the download code.

Guest acoustic

There is a new UPC:

http://www.discogs.com/Arcade-Fire-Funeral/release/409021

http://www.discogs.com/Arcade-Fire-Funeral/release/2093841

He also didn't type it in to get everything to auto show, although I have seen that done before. I sent him an email and asked for the UPC, which wasn't listed in the posting, and he spontaneously gave me the original number. Given that, he has confirmed it is 180g with download code, but with the old UPC.

Guest acoustic
As someone who deals with (and has fucked up) UPCs on a daily basis, I promise you there is a million possible reasons why a UPC would be changed, or not changed, and that it really just doesn't matter.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

apparently collectors that must have every single version since they run out of things to buy.

Yeesh, thought this was a forum for vinyl enthusiasts? What's with the unwarranted rudeness? If you don't have an answer to the question of what truly IDs a record or at least something to contribute, then STFU and get out of the thread.

apparently collectors that must have every single version since they run out of things to buy.

Yeesh, thought this was a forum for vinyl enthusiasts? What's with the unwarranted rudeness? If you don't have an answer to the question of what truly IDs a record or at least something to contribute, then STFU and get out of the thread.

You are going to have a difficult time on here. Just a heads up.

As someone who deals with (and has fucked up) UPCs on a daily basis, I promise you there is a million possible reasons why a UPC would be changed, or not changed, and that it really just doesn't matter.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the info.

feeling guilty eh??? haha

look above my post before you get your panties in a bunch.

Have you considered the possibility that there were covers leftover from the previous pressing (old UPC) that were used for the new 180 gram, dl-code pressing (new UPC)?

Either that, or it is a VERY RARE MIS-PRINTED SLEEVE LIMITED TO 1!

So stupid... ::)