PO: Deadhorse cassette

I ordered one of these as well. I emailed the company that was listed on their facebook page, but never got a response. I know this was out of the band's hands, but it just seems a little odd that this has taken so long.

same here.

no response from the label... this whole thing is a mess.

I don't think the band is at fault though... they're good dudes/dudettes... sucks that this all is how it is

Ok, delay is one thing, but no communication is another. Not everyone is checking their facebook site every day (or ever), I'd just expect kind of message, kind of one-to-all explanation - if you send money, you expect it. And now what, I should contact cassette factory? Did I pay them, or the band? It's just few bones, ok, but rules are rules.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update from the band:

"ANOTHER CASSETTE UPDATE: This whole thing has been nothing but a headache for us personally and all of those who ordered, and for that we sincerely apologize. We hope no one holds it against us, and understands this whole situation was completely out of our hands, and has gone on for far too long now. Communication has FINALLY been re-established with the record label, and they are ready to pay everyone who didn't get the refunds for the cassettes. Every single person that ordered through our storenvy will be emailed personally by the guys to get your refund to you. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, please email "Jake Haskin" at - [email protected] - and he will take care of it right away. After this whole thing gets taken care of, I'd say its about time for some new music, some new merch, and a breath of fresh air from this page...."

every cassette thread = OG post -> post by someone stoked on the release -> post by someone complaining about cassettes and how dumb they are -> thread fades into obscurity

why do people feel the need to constantly complain about cassettes. it's very simple to understand why people still produce them, and users on here have actually taken the time to explain their views on them in lengthy posts, yet people still bitch. if you aren't interested, don't buy/listen/look/etc.

These cassette threads are a double edged. I want all artists to have an equal shot at getting their music out to as many people as possible, but this is the vinyl board of the vinyl collective forum. I feel like this stuff should be posted in the Everything Else Section. If majority rules, I can start tidying these cassette-only threads up.

As want mentioned above these threads tend to fade into obscurity after the first 24 hours. They're harmless but I understand why they are bothersome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, this is Brian from Deadhorse.  I agree with all of you that this process has been nothing short of a joke, and something that has angered all of us.  Just wanted to clear some things up with this whole ridiculous-ness.

First off, there were a lot of people contacting us that we never heard word from.  We would've responded asap if we would've received emails, but we never got word.  Maybe there was something up with our email, maybe it was going to spam, maybe it was when storenvy was in the middle of changing their site over and things were getting lost in the mix, we really don't know.  But when people told us they were trying to contact us for weeks/months and we had never heard anything, we felt even worse, because that was making us look bad as a band.

This whole cassette thing wasn't our idea, was completely out of our hands.  Two of our friends, Jake and Michael, decided they were going to start a cassette label.  They have always been outstanding guys in the music community where we were from, and figured this wouldn't be a big deal.   They wanted to do two ginuea pig bands for the launch, and they asked us and another band iselia.  We figured it would be cool, and wouldn't hurt to give something like this a try, as it was their idea, we wanted to get behind them, etc.

We had just recorded the live album with our friend Mike, and decided we wanted that to go to press.  We gave them the music, I put the time into the layout, not only that (I'm a graphic designer), I took the time to do a bunch of stuff for their label (ethic records) to help get them off their feet, and onto a good start.

The process started well.  Art was approved, everything was printed, they even got tests from the cassette plant, and everything was running on schedule.  Before we left for our Europe tour, we were told things were a little behind, there was some mix up, but that we would get them soon.  After that, they completely dropped off the map.  We stopped hearing from them, didnt answer to emails, texts, facebook messages, nothing.  We had no clue what was going on, we were in the dark, and we were sitting on pre-orders that absolutely needed to get into the hands of those that ordered them.

Finally they get up with us, and say the plant screwed them, and they were going to refund everyone's money. We were super upset about this, but at the same time, there was nothing we could do about it.  We mailed out all of the pre-order packages with no cassettes and included notes inside all of the packages on who to contact to get their cassette refunds.  We also supplied the guys from the label with a whole list of everyone that ordered, and what they would need refunded.

We then think everything is taken care of...only to hear from people starting a few weeks later saying they still hadn't received their refunds.  Of course, I'm beyond pissed at this point, and I start contacting them again....and OF COURSE....no reply to anything, off the map again. 

Finally, as someone posted from our facebook page not too long ago, they made contact with me with their tail tucked between their legs, asking for another list, saying the other one I sent was gone, and they needed to go back through and find out who they refunded and who they didnt.  The same list was sent over, they said that they would be contacted the emails used within the ordering process to contact about refunds, and the refunds would start when Jake's next paycheck came in.

I then told people that if they hadn't heard from them, to start emailing his personal email until he took care of it.  I hope at this point everyone has been contacted and/or refunded.  Since that communication, we haven't received word from anyone about this, and hope that he has taken care of it, as we once again have not heard confirmation on him of the refunds.

We feel like garbage about the whole process because it reflects bad on us as a band, like we were trying to swindle people out of money, or be shady.  We want nothing of the sort, and we really do hope that people will not hold this whole dilemma against us.  From now on, no more deals like that from us.  We want to be able to do successful pre-orders, but we'll only be working with Brent, other established friends in the business that we work with from all over, and pre-orders that us and us alone are taking care of.  In the three years of this band, we've never ever had problems like this, and we intend to never have them again.

We're sorry for anyone that was mad about all of this, but indeed hope that the guys from the label have returned everyone's money.  If not, let me know, and I'll personally be trying to continue to take care of it.

We have plans for new music, new albums, new tours, all sorts of new things in 2013, and we don't want to be on anyone's bad side when it comes to this sort of garbage, because it's unacceptable from any standpoint - the band, the label, the fan, everyone lost in this deal, and we want to make sure there is no more catastrophe like this ever again!

Aaaand that was a really long post, haha.

Glad to see you posting here! I've sent you a few emails and Facebook posts regarding this.

1) I have not yet received any communications or refund, I've honestly kind of given up at this point

2) I definitely do not hold this against you guys, it's very clear where the issue is

3) I very much appreciate that you haven't dropped this, it's only $5 each, but overall it's actually a decent sum if money

4) I DO NOT want you to refund the money, it is Ethic that should refund it, this situation is not worth screwing you guys over. I don't even have a tape deck, I bought the cassette to support you guys. It makes no sense for it to end up being a burden.

5) Keep being awesome :)

Edited by daegor

Brian, thanks for such an explanation, makes more sense than everything that happen before. It's not about money, it's all about lack of communication. I just can't understand when people start something (especially when money involved) and vanish. Seems like there were also some emails/spam issues, that explains a bit. All in all, I still haven't got money. And tell those guys they found fantastic name for the 'label'. FTW.

Looking forward to new material as well! I was not around for the tape issue, sounds like a nightmare for a DIY band as DH.

Maybe those who lost $5 in the tape fiasco, could be given a $5 credit towards the new stuff when it comes out, and restitution is made, even though not official DH's fault. The tape deadbeats-- DH should take to small claims court (no lawyers) so they can recoup $ and reputation.

Looking forward to new material as well! I was not around for the tape issue, sounds like a nightmare for a DIY band as DH.

Maybe those who lost $5 in the tape fiasco, could be given a $5 credit towards the new stuff when it comes out, and restitution is made, even though not official DH's fault. The tape deadbeats-- DH should take to small claims court (no lawyers) so they can recoup $ and reputation.

I don't even want this, DH should not loose anything over this.

OK, fuggetabout the suggestion; I own my own business (old school) & even if I sub out the work, or use an intermediary, I am ultimately responsible if the money passes through me.  If it goes directly to the outsource and they don't deliver, I would agree with you to a point (but again, old school, and stuff happens, I still feel responsible/ my reputation is on the line).  So I do as much inhouse as possible.

The way folks were going on earlier in the thread, I didn't realize it was for an outrageous $5. :otongueincheek1.jpg

• 1 month later...