iPad 3

I am very close to pulling the trigger and pre-ordering one. Retina display on an iPad is pretty wonderful in my opinion. Plus the cloud service across my iPhone, MacBook Air, and iPad (if I get it) will be nice.

Yeah i agree. I am not blown away by the changes, but from a media standpoint its a big upgrade with the retina display...plus having Verizon 4G built in is amazing

I'm really close to jumping on a 32gb wifi as I don't have an iPad yet, but could surely benefit from one for the educational side of things alone. Hmmm...to preorder or not?

I suggest preordering if you definitely want it. I tagged along with a buddy to many apple stores after the iPad 2 was released to wait in line before the store opens to try and get one. It was pretty ridiculous. The initial demand blows away the supply by far.

^I guess to a degree this is true, and many people seem to drink the Kool-Aid way too quick and join the Church of Mac, but they have made some solid products. I still have my 60gb 5th-gen iPod, which has never steered me wrong, and made carrying an ungodly amount of music around a breeze. I also just got my first smartphone (a 4s), and while I have no intention on getting the next iteration, it is a pretty great little piece of technology as well.

Just curious if anyone on here is excited about these and/or ordered one of if you think Apple is scamming people by making only minor changes on an updated model..

These aren't really minor changes though.

That screen on a mobile device is out of this world, especially w/ them retaining the battery life. It might not seem like THAT big of a feature because the current one still looks pretty good.

No one calls for scams when computers are updated w/ new processors, RAM, etc...

im not saying i think they are scamming anyone...i use mostly apple products

people expect so much from a new model of ipad/iphone and while some like the changes, others think that apple purposely makes only minor changes year to year as opposed to taking more time to create something actually new and revolutionary when they put the new model out.

some think apple is pretentious enough to just make minor changes knowing everyone that has an ipad2 will get an ipad 3 and drop another 700

they really changed the market for technology in a big way...we used to wait 5 years for a new gaming system and keep computers for years and years...even cell phone upgrades were no big deal until the iphone

people wait on apples products whether its an ipad or iphone and dont really care how much is changed or what it costs...but there are many out there who feel its all completely ridiculous

its to their credit that their marketing is amazing and their products really are of high quality

But do you not realize that they would not live by that philosophy if people did not rush the stores to buy them? It is one's own decision and choice to go buy the next best thing and the one with a new name.

What people expect and get are two different things. Just because they expect something and it is not delivered, does not mean they have to still go out and buy it, settling for the 'minor upgrades'. They could change the name and nothing else, absolutely nothing else, and people would still be lined up to buy it. The people themselves are digging their own hole. In one hand they complain about it and in the other support and idolize it.

For those whom feel it is completely ridiculous, they are allowed to wait three years and buy the model they feel deserves an upgrade from their current one. If you are going to take three years to build a new one, why not have two other similar stepping stone models come out each year in between to make ridiculous amounts of money?

Personally I would prefer to just have all money and effort spent into the three year one in hopes they deliver the technology in two years. I am sure the interim stepping stones slow down the overall progression. I also imagine though, that one insanely huge sell for the one waited for three years would make less money then three large sales spread across the years, plus the yearly income makes the higher ups happy.

/rant i know little about

right..you kind of said what i said but with different words and examples

theres no question apple makes a quality product and that the new ipad is going to look amazing with the retina display

i think the argument is more are they in the long term shooting themselves in the foot by putting out new versions of expensive products every year and making a huge spectacle of it?

is there going to be such a thing as overkill for apple and for smartphones based on the rate at which they get released?

or would they be smarter to start using more of an xbox approach and have a new one every 4-5 years with an immense amount of upgrades which customers may buy in greater quantity knowing that it wont be out of date in 11 months

i realize the xbox analogy can be skewed by the fact that most apple apps etc can be used across an old or new product as opposed to a new or old xbox game but i think you get the point

right..you kind of said what i said but with different words and examples

theres no question apple makes a quality product and that the new ipad is going to look amazing with the retina display

i think the argument is more are they in the long term shooting themselves in the foot by putting out new versions of expensive products every year and making a huge spectacle of it?

is there going to be such a thing as overkill for apple and for smartphones based on the rate at which they get released?

or would they be smarter to start using more of an xbox approach and have a new one every 4-5 years with an immense amount of upgrades which customers may buy in greater quantity knowing that it wont be out of date in 11 months

i realize the xbox analogy can be skewed by the fact that most apple apps etc can be used across an old or new product as opposed to a new or old xbox game but i think you get the point

Not everyone is one the same two-year phone cycle. Apple create demand by putting out products annually at a price point that is relatively affordable. And while they make some money on iTunes Apple makes the majority of profit on hardware.

Consoles don't generate profit the same way. Typically they are sold at a loss in the initial years and make up money on software, internal developers and royalties from third parties. For them having a long time between hardware cycles is a benefit, the inverse is true of Apple.