PO Tigers Jaw / Black Clouds Split 7"

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only other Black Clouds I can find is a shitty Myspace band called The Black Clouds? Who copyrights a band name?

I remember when Hot Water Music got a letter like this and Doghouse released the original Forever and Counting as The Hot Water Music Band to avoid a suit. I thought it was dumb. The other HWM were opening for the Spin Doctors or something at the time. This happens a good deal.

Who copyrights a band name?

I hope this is sarcastic, but just in case: Bands who are serious about their careers and protecting their image and work. For exactly this purpose. Anyone could claim to be you. A copyright provides protection for that. Most bands also form LLCs for business and tax purposes.

the band ended up trademarking their name, not copyrighting it, which is what fucked us up. Honestly we were a band MONTHS before them, but as soon they saw our release with tigersjaw, which is how they heard about us, they trademarked their name, so they'd have legal precedent. Sucks, but they did it, and i don't want to waste time arguing about it. The best part about all of this, is that even though they were essentially making us cease and desist, they were still asking run for cover to put out a record for them.

What i don't understand is why they'd trademark their name when they've never played outside of the area they are from, and we've played shows up and down the east coast, California, even in Canada announcing this band name. oh well.

I wish i could share this email with you, as it's hands down one of the most entertaining emails i've ever gotten. It is unreal how crazy it is.

New band name will be announced tomorrow (hopefully!) and hopefully we won't get a cease and desist for it as well.

It seems like everyone's moved on and over it, but I'm just throwing out there that I'm pretty sure as far as trademarking goes, whoever can prove first instance of interstate commerce conducted under that name owns the trademark. I could be wrong, but I believe I've read that.

I cannot comprehend the thought process of a band that thought they were being savvy by trademarking a name and fucking over a band and label they were interested in, without ever realizing that they would probably be blacklisted. Cam the lawyer needs to bring the hammer down on these turds.

Cam the lawyer needs to bring the hammer down on these turds.

I think I have found someone better...

[image]

This is amazing. i would call bob loblaw, but our cattorney at claw Cam Taylor is on the case.

and ryan you are right, but it was the type of thing where we'd have to do alot of research and then do court time and get a lawyer and do more court time, it didn't seem very fun.

the band ended up trademarking their name, not copyrighting it, which is what fucked us up. Honestly we were a band MONTHS before them, but as soon they saw our release with tigersjaw, which is how they heard about us, they trademarked their name, so they'd have legal precedent. Sucks, but they did it, and i don't want to waste time arguing about it. The best part about all of this, is that even though they were essentially making us cease and desist, they were still asking run for cover to put out a record for them.

What i don't understand is why they'd trademark their name when they've never played outside of the area they are from, and we've played shows up and down the east coast, California, even in Canada announcing this band name. oh well.

I wish i could share this email with you, as it's hands down one of the most entertaining emails i've ever gotten. It is unreal how crazy it is.

New band name will be announced tomorrow (hopefully!) and hopefully we won't get a cease and desist for it as well.

Have you thought about changing your name to O Pioneers!!!? I think it's available.

Have you thought about changing your name to O Pioneers!!!? I think it's available.

HIYOOOOOOOOOO