Emo and gay people threatened and killed in Iraq

Really couldn't figure out the best title to post but I found a New York Times article about how how emo, gay, and hipster people are being threatened, beaten up, and killed over in Iraq. Didn't we spend almost 10 years "fighting for their freedom?" Wonder how their newfound "freedoms" are going over there. Really sad article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/world/....nted=1 &_r=1&hp

finally some good news

... hilarious.

there are lots of places I wouldn't want to live, and Iraq (or the middle east, in general) is one of them. that said, I wouldn't want to live in the south, either. basically, being "super religious" is a deal-breaker for me when it comes to livability

The story is about Muslims killing 40 kids. I don't remember Christian killing their own religious kind because they were different. Excluding wack nut jobs that kill in general and that claim God is "talking" to them.

The story is about Muslims killing 40 kids. I don't remember Christian killing their own religious kind because they were different. Excluding wack nut jobs that kill in general and that claim God is "talking" to them.

Yes Christians have never killed people for being different... oh wait..

[image]

... hilarious.

there are lots of places I wouldn't want to live, and Iraq (or the middle east, in general) is one of them. that said, I wouldn't want to live in the south, either. basically, being "super religious" is a deal-breaker for me when it comes to livability

Are you seriously implying that these weren't "wack nut jobs" that killed these kids? It really sounds like you're saying that Christian atrocities don't count because they're carried out by fringe elements, and that this is normal, acceptable behavior for a Muslim.

Wasn't it just a few months ago that Anders Breivik killed a bunch of kids over his Christian ideals?

Get fucked.

This is a terrible story. I think the truly awful part however is the lack of action on the part of the government or widespread condemnation from the citizenry and local leadership. This is less a commentary on religion as it is a society. Breivik was widely and uniformly condemned. Those that attacked Matthew Shepherd and dragged James Byrd in the US for instance were condemned. The list goes on. What we need here is that sort of outcry on behalf of the minorities and disaffected of Iraq by the part of community, religious and political leaders. There should be no hesitation, these actions are wrong and disgusting.

The fringes exist everywhere but how the society they exist within responds is the true measure by which we can pass judgment.

Are you seriously implying that these weren't "wack nut jobs" that killed these kids? It really sounds like you're saying that Christian atrocities don't count because they're carried out by fringe elements, and that this is normal, acceptable behavior for a Muslim.

Wasn't it just a few months ago that Anders Breivik killed a bunch of kids over his Christian ideals?

Get fucked.

Whoa you need to chill. I am just stating that it is wrong and what I also mean is that it seems there is ALOT of wack jobs over in the Muslim countries. IE CONSTANTLY killing Jews and to somewhat a lesser extent Christians and just always looking for an excuse to kill their own kind.

One recent example of the craziness is The Quran burnings that Obama apolgized for and they wanted blood. The Bible and Christ in general is mocked all of the time and defaced and you don't see Christians wanting heads..

I didn't know that most Muslims were constantly killing Jews and to a somewhat lesser extent Christians. I always thought most Muslims were normal people with mothers, fathers, and children just like you and me, but I guess that's naive and the truth is much darker.

Yes, you're right. The crazy people calling for blood over the burning of a book are just that; crazy. They're also no different than the crazy people sending Sandra Fluke death threats over her statements on birth control. My problem is that you seem to be attributing the Muslim crazies to their religion and distancing the Christian crazies from their religion. You can't have it both ways.

... hilarious.

Ever read the Old Testament? Religious extremists exist in most "organized" religions. Killing and judging in the name of god is a norm.

Anyway, this insanity happening in Iraq is sadly not surprising, but still so fucked and a reminder of the evolutionary infancy of the entire human race. Chipcheerio!

My problem is that you seem to be attributing the Muslim crazies to their religion and distancing the Christian crazies from their religion. You can't have it both ways.

I am not doing that. The "Christians" that murder in the name of GOD are wrong. The 6th Commandment is "Thou Shalt Not Kill" so aren't I correct in saying that MURDERERS that claim Christianity are not right. But yet you have all over the middle east Muslims that kill ALL OF THE TIME in the name of their religion and I see no Muslim leaders coming out and speaking against it.

I don't say "Well there are reports of RAPE and ROBBING and general THUGISH behavior in 'Occupy Wall Street', so they all are crazy nut jobs." NO-I don't think that - the rest believe in their "Idea" and I don't think more of it.

I also don't say "Hey Rush Limbaugh had a bomb threat on his front lawn a week and a half ago, it must have been a Liberal and that makes them ALL EVIL." -Again NO I don't think that.

Also, people in the "Media" get death threats all of the time(Right or Left) it has to come with the territory unfortunately. And Sandra Fluke basically is on the White House dime so she probably will come under more scrutiny.

The Bible and Christ in general is mocked all of the time and defaced and you don't see Christians wanting heads..

Here's some of those peace-loving Christ-followers commenting on atheism.

[image]

Um Raiden Radio, I don't know what this is from or what the original context or question was. So I really have no response to you. -I'M NOT SAYING WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS RIGHT

My problem is that you seem to be attributing the Muslim crazies to their religion and distancing the Christian crazies from their religion. You can't have it both ways.

I am not doing that. The "Christians" that murder in the name of GOD are wrong. The 6th Commandment is "Thou Shalt Not Kill" so aren't I correct in saying that MURDERERS that claim Christianity are not right. But yet you have all over the middle east Muslims that kill ALL OF THE TIME in the name of their religion and I see no Muslim leaders coming out and speaking against it.

I don't say "Well there are reports of RAPE and ROBBING and general THUGISH behavior in 'Occupy Wall Street', so they all are crazy nut jobs." NO-I don't think that - the rest believe in their "Idea" and I don't think more of it.

I also don't say "Hey Rush Limbaugh had a bomb threat on his front lawn a week and a half ago, it must have been a Liberal and that makes them ALL EVIL." -Again NO I don't think that.

Also, people in the "Media" get death threats all of the time(Right or Left) it has to come with the territory unfortunately. And Sandra Fluke basically is on the White House dime so she probably will come under more scrutiny.

You do UNDERSTAND that western media has little interest in reporting the whole STORY, and PROBABLY just got the shock value and QUIT.

The rest of YOUR rambling there doesn't MAKE any sense in relation to your deeply flawed argument TO begin with.

Moderate Muslim clerics hate violence just as much as Christian ones do, expand your mind to consider THAT maybe if you paint everyone with the SAME brush you're just as bad AS the people you seem to think so little of.

(ps. did I do the whole capitalizing words to make my point seem even more irrational thing right?)

If you're not doing that, then why did you put Christians in quotations, but not Muslims?

I get it, no "true" Christian would kill. You're using the "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy to prove your point. Good luck with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Oh, and here's a few quotes from Iraqi Muslim clerics on the killings:

Abdul-Raheem al-Rikabi, Baghdad representative for Iraq's most influential Shi'ite cleric, Ali al-Sistani, called the killings "terrorist attacks".

"Such a phenonomenon which has spread among young people should be tackled through dialogue and peaceful means and not through physical liquidation," Rikabi told Reuters.

The violence has drawn criticism from religious leaders, with Shiite cleric Mohammed al-Yaqoubi arguing that any response to emo teenagers should be confined to “advice, guidance and knowledge".

News of the gruesome deaths drew a stern reaction from Iraq’s prominent Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, who criticised the stoning of the young men as ‘an act of terrorism.

If you're not doing that, then why did you put Christians in quotations, but not Muslims?

I get it, no "true" Christian would kill. You're using the "no true Scotsman" logical fallacy to prove your point. Good luck with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Oh, and here's a few quotes from Iraqi Muslim clerics on the killings:

Abdul-Raheem al-Rikabi, Baghdad representative for Iraq's most influential Shi'ite cleric, Ali al-Sistani, called the killings "terrorist attacks".

"Such a phenonomenon which has spread among young people should be tackled through dialogue and peaceful means and not through physical liquidation," Rikabi told Reuters.

The violence has drawn criticism from religious leaders, with Shiite cleric Mohammed al-Yaqoubi arguing that any response to emo teenagers should be confined to “advice, guidance and knowledge".

News of the gruesome deaths drew a stern reaction from Iraq’s prominent Shia cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, who criticised the stoning of the young men as ‘an act of terrorism.

I am just going to answer you this: I have not read the Koran so I can't speak on what it says in their Holy book. I was trying to explain to further detail why the crazies are wrong on the Christian side and I am really tired of you trying to catch me in a "corrupt" view/opinion. You have done this twice now.

Moderate Muslim clerics hate violence just as much as Christian ones do, expand your mind to consider THAT maybe if you paint everyone with the SAME brush you're just as bad AS the people you seem to think so little of.

(ps. did I do the whole capitalizing words to make my point seem even more irrational thing right?)

I don't think you read my statement correctly or maybe you can't comprehend, so I will make it simple, I said I do not generalize. But all I was saying is that it seems the only time Muslims make news it is when they are slaughtering people.