'Xbox 720' might reject used games?!

i almost cant believe it...i can actually because its microsoft but even the new playstation orbis will be doing it. to an extent...

this isnt official or anything, rumors and other talk, but how do you feel about this? not being able to play used games or let your friends borrow a game because it will only work on your xbox?

i get it, its good idea ms sales, maybe...but this will make a lot of people unhappy...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/01/xbox-720-used-games/

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really care for rumors or anything, and I'm sure the next Xbox is still years out. They've been headed that way with the digital distribution, though.

That said, with how many new games I buy, I really am not all that concerned. I buy 1, maybe 2 brand new games at launch per year. Everything else I wait until it's cheap. It's nice having the option to buy used gamed, and it'd be a pretty dick move on their part, but I'm not all that concerned at the moment.

Pretty shitty for situations where a family/household has multiple Xbox consoles, though.

I think I read somewhere the idea was that you could pop in a used game and it would load a locked demo or something, then you would need to pay some fee via PSN or Xbox live to have everything unlocked.

I would imagine that if you have PSN + or the equivalent XBOX version that would be discounted or free.

Either way it's a shitty way of doing business and if it happens, I will just continue playing games on steam.

This would screw over a company like GameStop that heavily relies on used game sales.

But this seems like an effective way to get money to the people involved in the game. Used games carry 0% of the sale to the developer or publisher. It makes sense that they want to go this route, but it's silly to make it so that someone can't let their friend borrow a game once they've finished it. Also, for those that buy a game, finish it, and no longer want it, there's nothing for them to do but keep it collecting dust rather than going to someone who wants it at a discount.

I don't know, I think they'll get a lot of shit for doing something like this.

Don't really care for rumors or anything, and I'm sure the next Xbox is still years out. They've been headed that way with the digital distribution, though.

That said, with how many new games I buy, I really am not all that concerned. I buy 1, maybe 2 brand new games at launch per year. Everything else I wait until it's cheap. It's nice having the option to buy used gamed, and it'd be a pretty dick move on their part, but I'm not all that concerned at the moment.

Pretty shitty for situations where a family/household has multiple Xbox consoles, though.

It'll be weird, a world with out gamestop...

i agree, i dont think this will stick.

EA already does it with all their games, and the online code.

And in my opinion it is so so so stupid. I can let my family/friends borrow a dvd, my bike, my sofa, my food, my underwear, my microwave, literally anything and everything in my apartment. Technology (yet) has not come in and made any of them non-transferable or a dumbed down version once given to another recipient. Can you imagine selling your bike to someone only to have the wheels turned to steel and welded to the frame once they purchased it?

EA has started a really sad and shitty trend. I already pay for xbox live and yet in order to play games I have to use a code. If I rent, or buy one used, I have to go out and buy the code! Then after about a year or so they stop supporting the online play. ROFL how is this still happening, other than the fact that people keep buying and playing all the while getting bent over with no lube.

It is really crappy if the whole used games thing pans out. Once the person spends the $60 on it, the game should be supported, if it is playable online then it should be assuming the person has internet and pays a fee (xbl or psn +). Microsoft should be telling or somehow requiring these people to not have these online codes or stop services. I mean I think (it seems I know little about all of this tbh) that the video game companies are running the show and putting the pressure on the console manufacturers. The console manufacturers, imo, should be the ones calling the shots and deciding that you get your $60 (or whatever % they end up with) and you provide it via the game as intended.

Blah whatever

/stupid pointless ranting

Yeah I guess it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they were $15, would suck for all used and renting services. Still though I doubt they will ever go down, because they already are getting people to pay $60+, I mean GOW3 with the dlc season pass probably ended up costing around $90 or so!

Haha drop it $15 to like $45 bucks, without all the packaging and BS. Save a ton of money on shipping and bilingual booklets and all that garbage.

Steam proved it works, consoles just don't want to abandon the price point.

Oh yeah sorry I read it wrong. Yeah I agree on the $45 and what you are saying. I was thinking man $15, no way, but maybe 30-40 since it would save on so much and would cause some additional purchases due to the fact that each individual would need their own new copy.

Edit: Speaking of the price point, I wonder why/how the prices over the years have been driven up so high? I mean maybe due to the consumers being mostly parents buying for their kids with a combination of going as high as people would buy them, but still. Although I remember even snes games and stuff being pricey way back when. A lot more time and money must go into a movie, but they are still economical for majority of people. I obviously realize there are a lot more consumers of movies then video games but still. I kinda wonder how the price was driven up and kind of just became a norm?

Oh yeah sorry I read it wrong. Yeah I agree on the $45 and what you are saying. I was thinking man $15, no way, but maybe 30-40 since it would save on so much and would cause some additional purchases due to the fact that each individual would need their own new copy.

Edit: Speaking of the price point, I wonder why/how the prices over the years have been driven up so high? I mean maybe due to the consumers being mostly parents buying for their kids with a combination of going as high as people would buy them, but still. Although I remember even snes games and stuff being pricey way back when. A lot more time and money must go into a movie, but they are still economical for majority of people. I obviously realize there are a lot more consumers of movies then video games but still. I kinda wonder how the price was driven up and kind of just became a norm?

It comes down to how much more work goes into a game than a movie or anything other entertainment medium. I understand the price to a point (I'd understand it a lot more if there wasn't a lot of sketchyness around labour abuse)

If you look at something like Mass Effect or Kingdoms of Amalur, we're talking 20+ hours of voiced content.

Even an 8 hour shooter, or something like Journey or Flower requires a heck of a lot of work to go into it.

EDIT: Also everyone complaining about expensive games, go buy Journey, one of the best experiences I've ever had with a game.

Why does it seem like if this goes through everyone gets an arrow to the knee?

Sony and Microsoft are going to lose with people not wanting to bother being unable to even borrow games from friends. Gamestop is going to go out of business (either way this ends up working out it seems). Best Buy is already dying.

Like this shit is nothing but chock full of Lose for everyone. Business and consumers.

haha good...that would be real interesting to see what happens with that. you think "newer" games for the "720" would be advanced and only work in the 720? not be backwards compatible...

Why does it seem like if this goes through everyone gets an arrow to the knee?

Sony and Microsoft are going to lose with people not wanting to bother being unable to even borrow games from friends. Gamestop is going to go out of business (either way this ends up working out it seems). Best Buy is already dying.

Like this shit is nothing but chock full of Lose for everyone. Business and consumers.

So this guy makes and arrow to the knee joke and doesn't catch a ration of shit?! I kid, I kid....

I'm speculating that this scenario isn't so cut and dry. Given that hardware manufacturers rely on royalties and software sales for a healthy profit I understand why they would want to make developers happy. I could see them tying games to a specific account for access to all the content. Once that game gets played on another account it may require a fee to unlock all (or online) content, very similar to Online Pass. Used gamers could purchase that content for a nominal fee, thus adding a revenue stream that doesn't currently exist in the used game market.

I doubt that it would put a hard stop on using any used game on a console outright. I understand how this effects people negatively, but also see a potential upside. Games costs are high due to effort to bring a game to market, costs could potentially go down if developers made more per game. Not to mention potentially ancillary benefits, like more dedicated servers, if developers have more cash.

TL;DR: There is probably more to the story, and it might not be a wholly negative scenario. Developers and manufacturers ain't idiots.