'Xbox 720' might reject used games?!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thankyoubasedgod

haha good...that would be real interesting to see what happens with that. you think "newer" games for the "720" would be advanced and only work in the 720? not be backwards compatible...

Would probably be like when many US stores refused to sell/carry the Sega Dreamcast. It was a great system but fell flat on it's face in the US because of that, and game bootlegging. It did well in Japan until like 06 though.

Why does it seem like if this goes through everyone gets an arrow to the knee?

Sony and Microsoft are going to lose with people not wanting to bother being unable to even borrow games from friends. Gamestop is going to go out of business (either way this ends up working out it seems). Best Buy is already dying.

Like this shit is nothing but chock full of Lose for everyone. Business and consumers.

So this guy makes and arrow to the knee joke and doesn't catch a ration of shit?! I kid, I kid....

I'm speculating that this scenario isn't so cut and dry. Given that hardware manufacturers rely on royalties and software sales for a healthy profit I understand why they would want to make developers happy. I could see them tying games to a specific account for access to all the content. Once that game gets played on another account it may require a fee to unlock all (or online) content, very similar to Online Pass. Used gamers could purchase that content for a nominal fee, thus adding a revenue stream that doesn't currently exist in the used game market.

I doubt that it would put a hard stop on using any used game on a console outright. I understand how this effects people negatively, but also see a potential upside. Games costs are high due to effort to bring a game to market, costs could potentially go down if developers made more per game. Not to mention potentially ancillary benefits, like more dedicated servers, if developers have more cash.

TL;DR: There is probably more to the story, and it might not be a wholly negative scenario. Developers and manufacturers ain't idiots.

what some skyrim ? haha

i wondered about that, devs having more money and be able possibly offer more for a game, like someone mentioned before, we are already paying for xbl, for those who have xbox, buying a game $65 tax, xbl $5, thats $70 a game to play online, i hope costs go down if this happens. stupid EA and their online codes, but whatever i love battlefield

I can't wait for the Xbox 720 to come out (and hopefully not with the worst name ever) so I can replace my red-ringed 360 for cheap and play original Xbox games.

The whole gaming industry has been unappealing to me for several years now, with the same game being remade every other year with different ways to kill people. I haven't been paying any attention to any sort of next generation consoles or games (seeing as every game is Gears of War or CoD or Battlefield or Halo or Skyrim) because the games I already own are fun as hell. There are plenty of games that I've gotten in the past year or two that I've never played because I'd rather play Ninja Gaiden.

I completely understand why developers want to put the breaks on the used game market, but it has become a bit excessive. I for one don't buy used games, rent games, or borrow games, but I do sell games on eBay after I've played them. I look forward to a digital future where I can download or stream a game for a lower price, specifically because I have to much shit on my shelves. The PS Vita is approaching this idea well but there are definitely kinks (for example; I couldn't move a game with it's save data back to my PS3 console. I could only back up the entire system which takes a while to do but it's the only way to retain saved game data if I wanted to remove a game and put a different one on the Vita). I understand that games are actually cheaper now more than they have ever been, but digital games should be at least $10-$15 cheaper than hard copies, not just $5 less.

Completely disabling used games is pretty harsh. I can live with the online-pass method that disables certain features like online multiplayer (if a developer is paying for multiplayer server space, you should at least pay for the game new), and disabling unnecessary content (like the Catwomen stuff in Arkham City). I get more bothered by the excessive exploitation of DLC. Half the time this content is already on the disc and we just pay to unlock it. Also it seems like this sometimes makes developers think it's OK to ship broken games and send out a patch later (like the PS3 version of Skyrim).

meh i never use gamestop anyway they rape both buying/trading. but it will be inconvenient to not be able to go through ebay,half,amazon,ect.

i'm glad out i got out of the console game when ps3/360 came out it's just wayyyy too time consuming anymore i miss being able to pick up a game for half hour/hour and do something else.

now every time i turn my ps3 on i have to do system updates,load game,load profile,ect

I can't wait for the Xbox 720 to come out (and hopefully not with the worst name ever) so I can replace my red-ringed 360 for cheap and play original Xbox games.

The whole gaming industry has been unappealing to me for several years now, with the same game being remade every other year with different ways to kill people. I haven't been paying any attention to any sort of next generation consoles or games (seeing as every game is Gears of War or CoD or Battlefield or Halo or Skyrim) because the games I already own are fun as hell. There are plenty of games that I've gotten in the past year or two that I've never played because I'd rather play Ninja Gaiden.

yeah man, i feel so dumb saying 720, at least playstation used Orbis. thats cool, haha. I do see the same the 4 games dominating every year, and are extremely hyped, granted i do play cod, and i love battlefield, the stories are fun, and online play is awesome esp with friends and whatnot....if cod didnt put out a game since cod 4 we would all be playing cod 4, it just sucks, if you wanna play with your friends, or anyone online, the newest game is where to go...

i think i might go back and play some quake, the first quake, with the nail gun....yeaaah

While I agree that things are just rumor now I would really hate for the used games market to be affect by this. guaranteed it would probably lead to more piracy and migrations to PCs for gaming.

Not that I have a problem with either or those scenarios.

Personally I feel that devs need to really spend more time on QA and launching a non buggy game instead of just trying to rush things out the door and then patch along the way. One of the main reasons I can't stand playing games these days. That and there really isn't many games I want to play.

yeah man, i feel so dumb saying 720, at least playstation used Orbis. thats cool, haha. I do see the same the 4 games dominating every year, and are extremely hyped, granted i do play cod, and i love battlefield, the stories are fun, and online play is awesome esp with friends and whatnot....if cod didnt put out a game since cod 4 we would all be playing cod 4, it just sucks, if you wanna play with your friends, or anyone online, the newest game is where to go...

i think i might go back and play some quake, the first quake, with the nail gun....yeaaah

Thing is I refuse to pay $50 or whatever it is for Xbox Live, so the most popular games hold little appeal for me.

your local video rental store

These still exist?

i live 2 blocks away from a blockbuster.

my family used it at least twice a week for several years, til my daughter lost one of the movies we rented and wound up having to buy it for some insane price.

needless to say we don't go there anymore.

as for this topic, i've been dealing with this problem on PC for as long as i can remember and i've learned to cope because thats just the way it is.

consoles on the other hand have always had a used market, and there will probably be a huge nerd rage if microsoft really does go through with this, and microsoft will probably drop the idea before they release the console, or this thing will barely sell at all.

Its crazy how many people are bitching in here about xbox prices, then having to pay for xbox live and such. Why are you paying for internet when every other system is giving it out for free?

i dont feel bad for payig for xbl, you do get a lot out of it, i think.

thats just me.

didnt the playstation network get hacked big time?

im not hating, just saying. maybe theres a lack of security because it being free?

blockbusters went out a long time ago back in eastern CT, now im down texas, i still see them...its weird.

Its crazy how many people are bitching in here about xbox prices, then having to pay for xbox live and such. Why are you paying for internet when every other system is giving it out for free?

Because PSN sucks, and Wii online is a joke. Plus, if you're not a moron, Xbox Live costs like $3/month. Hardly breaking the bank given what you receive.

Because PSN sucks, and Wii online is a joke. Plus, if you're not a moron, Xbox Live costs like $3/month. Hardly breaking the bank given what you receive.

Not true at all. I have both consoles and they're both basically the same. In fact, I bought MW3 on PS3 (have all other COD games on 360) and it was actually better on PSN. Match-making was faster, and nobody had mics. It was awesome.