what do British labels/distros hate decent mailers

I've been on a huge kick of buying UK releases.. alot of the cool ska/punk/hip-hop/dub hybrid bands that are going on over there, as well as a bunch of Frank Turner stuff.... everything comes in a crappy cardstock mailer (thats usually taped to shit so you can't open it without a razor blade.. or in a padded mailer.. what the fuck guys.. shell out the extra 40 cents for a real mailer please? i'm paying like $20 for a LP, and then another $15-20 for postage.. can we stop the bullshit?

I've got a few records from that region and the cardboard is always super thin on the mailers. I think it's just the standard they have there, their cardboard isn't as thick and durable as most I've seen in the US. Regardless of reason, it still sucks to pay out the butt for a record + shipping and for it to arrive in minimal packing.

While I agree that most records arrive in shitty mailers I've had absolutely no damaged records from the UK whereas I've had PLENTY of over-protected records from the US with splits, bends, dings, tears etc etc.

Just count yourself lucky that your postal services HAVE record mailers. Here in Australia you have to re-use or create your own.

Come on guys its not just UK distros, I've had shitty mailers from UK, USA, Canada, Europe etc etc so its a global problem .....

I do agree with you on one thing....Xtra Mile are shit, not only do they send stuff out in shit mailers the guy doesn't respond to e-mails either, waste of space!

Ill disagree with the second part. They seemed very sorry and wanted to help, i just didnt wanna go through the hassle of getting a replacement jacket from them.

Each country has it's own mailers. UK mailers are as sturdy as the cardboard of a roll of toilet paper. Maybe their postal system is careful not to damage items.

US mailers a thick, but tend to get serious dinks in international mail. Not well designed.

German mailers are heavy-duty sturdy, but a pain to open.

Japanese mailers are perfect and well designed so that corner damage is impossible:

[image]

Received only a few times from the UK but really the majority was in a papermailer.

Opposed to countless properly packaged orders from the US or Germany.

What's especially wondering me is that the places that used the papermailer where online record stores or labels, not private sellers. You'd really expect better judgment from people who send records for a living.

Since then I simply avoid ordering from the UK if possible.

Each country has it's own mailers. UK mailers are as sturdy as the cardboard of a roll of toilet paper. Maybe their postal system is careful not to damage items.

US mailers a thick, but tend to get serious dinks in international mail. Not well designed.

Japanese mailers are perfect and well designed so that corner damage is impossible:

[image]

Hahaha, awesome. Everything made in Japan always seems to be 100% top notch. I would live in Japan if I could.

I've ordered a ton of items from the UK over the years and every single record has arrived in one of those thin card stock envelopes. I once had a test pressing come in one with no added protection but it thankfully arrived with no damage. I just always ask the seller to add a piece of cardboard to each side and that works for me. A UK seller once told me that the standard mailers we use in the US aren't readily available out there and the it costs a ton to have a bunch shipped to the UK.

Haha, I've had a fair amount of records shipped in a goddamn bubble mailer from US sellers so at least that hasn't happened with any of my UK purchases.

It's not England exclusively, it's all of Europe. I'm not saying I never get crummy mailers from America and I'm not saying I never get good mailers from Europe, but I absolutely agree that the vast majority of the records I buy from Europe are shipped out in the flimsy mailers that Flood is talking about. Step up Europe!

[image]

Hahaha, awesome. Everything made in Japan always seems to be 100% top notch. I would live in Japan if I could.

I've ordered a ton of items from the UK over the years and every single record has arrived in one of those thin card stock envelopes. I once had a test pressing come in one with no added protection but it thankfully arrived with no damage. I just always ask the seller to add a piece of cardboard to each side and that works for me. A UK seller once told me that the standard mailers we use in the US aren't readily available out there and the it costs a ton to have a bunch shipped to the UK.

Haha, I've had a fair amount of records shipped in a goddamn bubble mailer from US sellers so at least that hasn't happened with any of my UK purchases.

To be fair, not all Japanese mailers are like this. The ones I use are designed to protect from corner damage. There are flaps that would absorb shock if the package is tossed, thrown or dropped. However, they are custom made by the dealer.

I do wonder why other manufacturers do not copy the design. Most of my US orders arrive with crumpled corners due to poor design.

I believe they have a size/weight pricing system similar to Canada Post:

A record + 1 cardboard piece + packaging box = 480 grams approx = $18 air to Europe

A record + 2 cardboard pieces + packaging box = 530 grams approx = $36 air to Europe

Anything over 500 grams DOUBLES the shipping price. Same thing for the USA, instead it jumps from about $10 air to $15.50 air. You can see how a lighter/cheaper box would help to save on shipping.

Depending on the exact weight of the record & sleeve, it may be just under by a few grams or just over by a few grams... essentially the weight of a coin. It sucks to have such a jump in shipping prices for such a minimal weight difference. I have been tempted to use these cheap/thin mailers to help save on shipping and encourage sales, but I feel that is too much like rolling the dice and hoping for the best when it could have been packaged properly.

i lived in the UK for a decade or so and the only way i could get good mailers was to recycle the ones i received from the States. and i'm not sure why people are saying German mailers are good either - every single record i've bought from Germany (inc France, Italy and Spain for that matter) has come in those flimsy as fuck fold over mailers. fair enough, they're not as bad as the UK envelopes, but aren't much chop in themselves. the cardboard is certainly never very sturdy.

the stiffener thing helps protect the record but once you add that to the weight of the paper thin mailers, the packaging ends up being very similar weight to the US mailers. so the weight vs cost argument really only works when those paper thin fuckers do NOT have a stiffener inside...and yr record arrives knackered.

robotnetwork is correct with the pricing for situation for Australia too.

As long as the record/sleeve arrive in good condition it surely don't make any difference?

You can get thicker mailers here, but then the price of the post will go up to cover the expense of better packing, also the extra weight and then even moreso at the end of april when postage actually goes up.

That bitch who fucked up Canada Post is now in charge of the Royal Mail here

• 2 weeks later...
While I agree that most records arrive in shitty mailers I've had absolutely no damaged records from the UK whereas I've had PLENTY of over-protected records from the US with splits, bends, dings, tears etc etc.

Just count yourself lucky that your postal services HAVE record mailers. Here in Australia you have to re-use or create your own.

There's supposedly only one manufacturer in Australia for the LP mailers, everyone else imports them.

Even the manufacturer is freakin expensive. Costs about $1.60 each and that's ordering 300x of them. If I get 500x at a time I can get them for about $1.10 after shipping.

BOOOOO