Record Store day sucks ass.

your argument is invalid because phish is the worst band ever no matter what you like.

Its too bad you never took the time to get their music. Acquired taste I guess but theres no denying theyre a group of 4 extraordinarily talented musicians.

re: acquired tastes: if something tastes awful, I don't put it in my mouth a second time in hopes that I might maybe "acquire" the taste.

I have a love hate relationship with RSD

I love that it helps out all the local stores in town and there are always tons of releases I want.

I hate the fact that it feels like the record industry is completely taking advantage and exploiting pretty much the only group of people that still regularly buy music. Also, it has taken this whole black Friday atmosphere were you have to get there hours before the store open and then at some places it becomes a mad dash and everyone turns into an asshole.

this exactly. I love supporting stores. I hate the entire concept of Black Friday (which is even now practically extending into Black Thanksgiving which is eminently fucked up) and the experience of dealing with a store on RSD, rushing to get records in the middle of a seething mob feels exactly like Black Friday to me.

It doesn't help that most stores I've gone to for RSD just set up a couple of racks that only maybe 4 people can even see at the same time.

Its too bad you never took the time to get their music. Acquired taste I guess but theres no denying theyre a group of 4 extraordinarily talented musicians.

re: acquired tastes: if something tastes awful, I don't put it in my mouth a second time in hopes that I might maybe "acquire" the taste.

Does that mean you loved penis and semen right from the start?

You realize this is VC right? 90% of the posters here don't believe in heliocentrism. I may go to find stuff to flip cuz I. NEED. MONEY.

[image]

OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU OH MY GOD YOU FUCKING HORRIBLE PERSON THOSE RECORDS ARE FOR MY PERSONAL COLLECTION SO 5 OF THEM CAN SIT ON MY COFFEE TABLE FOREVER AND EVER UNOPENED HOW DARE YOU TRY AND FLIP THEM THEY ARE FOR MY PERSONAL ENJOYMENT AND FOR OTHER COFFEE TABLE RECORD CONNOISSEURS WE ARE LEGION WE ARE STRONG WE WILL COME AND RAPE THE FAMILIES OF FLIPPERS LIKE YOU MONEY ISN'T A PROBLEM LOOK AT ME I HAVE IT WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO OUT AND GET IT GOSH I HATE U

woke up at 9, was at hits and misses by 10:50, there was a line of 60+ people waiting for rotate to open, no line at HaM, bought the scientists 7" RSD for 12 dollars :/ but then bought quality new and used stuff that the store owner actually got to make money on.

in summary, no lines, bought records, home by 1 and listening to englands newest hit makers.

My local record shop had about 250 people waiting in line before the shop opened, and all of the records the shop received were gone in less than 2 hours except for a handful of 7s.

I got one LP I wanted (Ricky Skaggs and Tony Rice), but missed out on all of the rest (Civil Wars 7", Steven Wilson, Sigur Ros, Branford Marsalis), and 1 CD (The Civil Wars - Live at Amoeba). I was also able to snag the Mastodon/Flaming Lips 7" and got a Rockabye Baby album (The Smiths).

I bucked up and already eBayed what I really wanted, even though I'm paying a whole lot for them. Because I NEEDZ DEM!!

Today was so lame. There were 20 old dudes buying everything up right away in both shops. Record store day is starting to piss me off. It always just ends up costing me a ton of money on ebay.

We all know RSD sucks for the customers, but is it really all that good for the record stores either?? If people are just running in to get all the special releases, how much money is the store making?

Today was so lame. There were 20 old dudes buying everything up right away in both shops. Record store day is starting to piss me off. It always just ends up costing me a ton of money on ebay.

I concur. I was like 7 customers from the front and before I even got there you got people in front of me buying 30 different releases. Just to flip. Do I flip a record occasionally, yes. But do I ever buy for the sole reason to flip, no.

Haha, I had old dudes that were behind me in line that tried to push me at the first store I went to. They regretted it I'm sure because I obviously shoved them right back out of the way and blocked another spot so another person (that was near the front of the line) could go through it. I continued to do so to the few people that were clearly acting the fool. I know for sure they were buying to flip as I heard them talking about which ones they could get the most for when we were lined up.

Places need to handle RSD differently instead of making it a free for all complete with shoving and childish bullshit. Amoeba apparently give people in line a list and the first people in line will get what they want. I think that's very fair but I guess some people enjoy it being a mad house.

To the person who asked if businesses were selling other things besides RSD:

RSD was created to get people to go back in the mom and pop shops; to patronize independent stores. It's true, unless they mark up releases, they're not making a lot of profit (the two stores I was at today, the distributor told them what to price the stuff at).

But, both stores I was at today, people were buying other records besides RSD stuff. Both places said they did a lot of non-RSD business.

That's the point.

The first four customers in line at Park Ave CDs in Orlando were flippers and the owner threw them out immediately.

How did they determine this?

I haven't had a chance to talk with him about it yet but they were significantly older (60s) than most people in line that early, they had printed out lists of all the releases they kept flipping through... I asked Tom (another employee) and he said "Come on, man, it was obvious!"

If he gives me any more specifics that tipped him off tomorrow then I'll post about it again. He came out after doing it and made an announcement that ebayers would not be tolerated.

How did they determine this?

I haven't had a chance to talk with him about it yet but they were significantly older (60s) than most people in line that early, they had printed out lists of all the releases they kept flipping through... I asked Tom (another employee) and he said "Come on, man, it was obvious!"

If he gives me any more specifics that tipped him off tomorrow then I'll post about it again. He came out after doing it and made an announcement that ebayers would not be tolerated.

I don't really agree with flipping, but I don't know how they could conclusively say the dudes were flippers. I guess if they didn't really put up much of a fight it would be obvious.