Why labels use different pressing plants

Something I've been wondering about for a while, why do labels press some records at certain plants and others at different ones? For example, Sargent House pressed the Tera Melos 7" and 10" at Pirate's Press but pressed the latest Hella album at Rainbo. Is cost the main reason, or are there other factors?

Some plants also can't and/or won't offer certain things. For instance, I did a release for which I did not want any center labels. Not just blank, but NONE.

There are certain risks associated with this and most plants won't touch it. But I was dead set on my artistic vision and sought out a plant that would. To date, I've only used that plant for one release.

Same reason I don't always go to the same grocery store or hair cutters every time.

Because TRU PUNX cut their own hair and grow their own food?

But yeah, if you pay money to press something somewhere and aren't happy with the end result or the service you get then why wouldn't you take your business elsewhere?

I will say this for the 500th time, people ask the weirdest questions here.

We use different plants because of financial and turn around reasons. Pirates is more expensive, but has more vinyl options and the customer service is amazing. Most of our releases go through there because most of our releases are time sensitive. With a band that doesn't tour or it doesn't matter when the record comes out in a 2 month window, or if we're only doing 500 copies, we'll use Rainbo.

I believe Fat Wreck Chords uses Rainbo for all their LPs and uses Pirates Press for all of their 7"s.

I'm pretty sure the NOFX 10" that came out recently was Pirate's.

Yeah, I realize it's a pretty silly question, I was just wondering how label heads would respond. I know basically nothing about running a record label and that's something that I would love to do someday.

real answer - you know i've actually thought about this and i'm not sure. usually you kinda of work with one plant, but someone tells you about another one so you give that one a shot.

some people just stick with one they like. i've pressed with musicol, united, bill smith, rainbo (direct), rainbo (through SAMO), and EKS (through AtoZ) ... but turnaround time, price, and customer service usually play a big role. I like having different options too.

Pretty sure they're the only major place that uses DMM. Still bummed about that Copeland record, Nick?

From my understanding so does Pallas in germany. I have some bjork records that are DMM and they sound phenomenal

lots of plants still offer DMM, particularly euro ones.

and DMM can sound good if done well. although my preference is generally not to go down that route.