Topshelf Recs VS No Sleep Recs

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people still care about CD comps in 2012? and more importantly, people still care about CD comps enough to BUY them in 2012?

i would have never guessed there would be this much buzz about something like this.

I think the buzz was before the actual announcement. When no one knew what it was. Now it's kind of just "really?"

I'm interested in it, because I like 90% of each label's stuff. But I think a $5 download would've been adequate.

This is totally lame. Topshelf put out that free 60-some song digital compilation, so why would anyone buy a CD version if they could A) rock that download and/or B) buy a normal release from either label. $5 for a comp CD is cheap but this should be going toward some charity. The only reason I can think of them doing this is to increase popularity of both labels with people who are unfamiliar with one or both of these labels.

isn't it supposed to be rare / unreleased songs? if it's going to be a CD of songs from 2 labels that you can't find elsewhere, i'd say it's well worth $5. of course i'd prefer vinyl, but it's a good way to get labels and bands into the hands of people that otherwise wouldn't know about them.

its not that, but 1 i think these will be free haha HT doesnt usually sell COMP cds

BUT either way I just think I expected more out of this like something bigger. With all the hype around it and all

I definitely picked up the old Drive-Thru Welcome to the Family pizza box comp at Hot Topic when I was in high school.

Oh my introduction to Starting Line and Konstantine by Something Corporate ;D

I definitely picked up the old Drive-Thru Welcome to the Family pizza box comp at Hot Topic when I was in high school.

Oh my introduction to Starting Line and Konstantine by Something Corporate ;D

I actually found this recently. That, "Mulletcore" and the "Where's the Beef?" comps were great back then.

I posted this, verbatim, on absolutepunk already... sorry to rehash the same shit, but I think it applies here as well:

We were gonna just post a link to Lemonparty so I feel like everyone came out on top here regardless, haha.

I thought about the "viral" aspect of it a good deal and started to feel like some people might not deem this worthy of all the hype and hoopla surrounding it, but it was a lot of fun to build up to yesterday's announcement. At the end of the day, we're having fun with our friends and trying to get our bands' music out there — I probably don't put as much stock into what people's reactions on message boards will be to my ideas. And I should, I really should, ya know? :)

The 50-song download is going to be where the real gems are, in my opinion. Plenty of new stuff to be excited about (for me at least... but don't take my word, I apparently put too much hype into things that let people down :). See also: my mom wanting grand kids).

Yes, there's no vinyl release. This is a personal and practical choice. I do not want a comp on vinyl — and if you think about it for longer than .2 seconds, you'll probably realize neither do you. I agree, it could have been nice. 20 tracks would have required for some pretty $$$ vinyl and again, I just don't feel like it's the most practical medium for a comp.

For the Hot Topic naysayers: Say what you will about the mall rats and overly commercialized...uh,-ness. There's very few national retailers with that kind of size and reach willing to take chances on projects like this. At the end of the day, Chris, Seth and I's jobs are to help promote our bands as much as possible. This seemed like a pretty good opportunity to do that.

In summation:

$4.99. Comes with a 50-song download of a mix of previously released, unreleased and exclusive tracks from both labels. $4.99, 70 songs, $0.071428571 per song. You can buy it in select Hot Topic stores (we'll post a list as soon as we get it) or online at hottopic.com starting May 22, 2012. There's a chance at winning 2012 vinyl subscriptions and other merch from each label randomly inserted into some of the records as well. This is a limited run of 1,000 CD's and will not be produced ever again, via any medium. When it's gone, it's gone.

Guest deathbydrums
I posted this, verbatim, on absolutepunk already... sorry to rehash the same shit, but I think it applies here as well:

We were gonna just post a link to Lemonparty so I feel like everyone came out on top here regardless, haha.

I thought about the "viral" aspect of it a good deal and started to feel like some people might not deem this worthy of all the hype and hoopla surrounding it, but it was a lot of fun to build up to yesterday's announcement. At the end of the day, we're having fun with our friends and trying to get our bands' music out there — I probably don't put as much stock into what people's reactions on message boards will be to my ideas. And I should, I really should, ya know? :)

The 50-song download is going to be where the real gems are, in my opinion. Plenty of new stuff to be excited about (for me at least... but don't take my word, I apparently put too much hype into things that let people down :). See also: my mom wanting grand kids).

Yes, there's no vinyl release. This is a personal and practical choice. I do not want a comp on vinyl — and if you think about it for longer than .2 seconds, you'll probably realize neither do you. I agree, it could have been nice. 20 tracks would have required for some pretty $$$ vinyl and again, I just don't feel like it's the most practical medium for a comp.

For the Hot Topic naysayers: Say what you will about the mall rats and overly commercialized...uh,-ness. There's very few national retailers with that kind of size and reach willing to take chances on projects like this. At the end of the day, Chris, Seth and I's jobs are to help promote our bands as much as possible. This seemed like a pretty good opportunity to do that.

In summation:

$4.99. Comes with a 50-song download of a mix of previously released, unreleased and exclusive tracks from both labels. $4.99, 70 songs, $0.071428571 per song. You can buy it in select Hot Topic stores (we'll post a list as soon as we get it) or online at hottopic.com starting May 22, 2012. There's a chance at winning 2012 vinyl subscriptions and other merch from each label randomly inserted into some of the records as well. This is a limited run of 1,000 CD's and will not be produced ever again, via any medium. When it's gone, it's gone.

Sounds awesome to me. You guys will always rule!

Oh yeah and also...

Howzabout a Suis La Lune "Riala" preview?