discogs fuckery

So, I ordered an lp from some chump on discogs for a decent price. He sent me an updated shipping rate the day after, so he's clearly checking the account. Long story that you've either heard or lived through, short, he never gave shipping confirmation. I emailed him 20 days after payment and then every few days thereafter and got no response.

So, wat do? Paypal claim him and be done of it? Do I do anything on discogs? Can the guy give me negative feedback if I get paypal to claw back the payment?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paypal gives you 45 days after payment is made to file a claim. wait till 44 days then file the claim. get the guy onside by stating that you're just protecting the yourself by filing the claim and that yr allowing the seller more time to get his shit together. if he doesn't, you've done all you can to make a bad situation as harmonious as poss and paypal will 99% of the time, refund you.

if he leaves neg feedback, you can make a reply to the particular feedback on discogs, stating yr case. ppl read it. theyll see you;ve done everything right.

paypal gives you 45 days after payment is made to file a claim. wait till 44 days then file the claim. get the guy onside by stating that you're just protecting the yourself by filing the claim and that yr allowing the seller more time to get his shit together. if he doesn't, you've done all you can to make a bad situation as harmonious as poss and paypal will 99% of the time, refund you.

if he leaves neg feedback, you can make a reply to the particular feedback on discogs, stating yr case. ppl read it. theyll see you;ve done everything right.

This. Any other reaction is irrational and rude. There is nothing to be lost by waiting til the end of the claims window. Granted, 95% of these situations are probably due to the seller just being a flake, there is still the possibility that the seller is going through some real shit, and hasn't had the time to tend to petty business.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':qgqecuay]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':qgqecuay]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

This. Any other reaction is irrational and rude. There is nothing to be lost by waiting til the end of the claims window. Granted, 95% of these situations are probably due to the seller just being a flake, there is still the possibility that the seller is going through some real shit, and hasn't had the time to tend to petty business.

Being in Canada, you should wait until the 44 day mark. Maybe in transit and you just can't get in contact with him. When a sale on Discogs goes through, he gets an email, but not when you get an update or comment. This may be the reason you haven't got a response, or he's just not a good seller. 44 days is the only way to tell.

So to hijack the thread.

I bought a rare record from the U.K. listed as an original press on Discogs. Item comes in and is a bootleg on a totally different color. I message the seller who say things to the effect of "it was a good price" and admits he knew it was a bootleg when he listed/shipped it, and will provide a refund if I return it.

Problem is I paid $16 to have it shipped to me and would cost the same to send it back and he is refusing to pay any of the return postage even though he knowingly mis-listed the item. What would you do VC?

Here is why I don't wait 45 days. If you are selling something on-line and can't respond to an email within one week you don't deserve any leeway. Most of the time if a seller doesn't ship within 2 weeks they have either no intention of shipping or have completely forgot about the item. When I open a claim after 2-3 weeks of zero communication one of two outcomes occur, they ship they very next day or they continue to ignore me until I am refunded. Either way I get the money or item much faster and can move on. If you wait until the 45th day you then have to wait one week for the seller to respond then then ~3 days for paypal to make a decision then ~3 for the refund to be in your account. That is almost two months that you have now had to wait.

Here is why I don't wait 45 days. If you are selling something on-line and can't respond to an email within one week you don't deserve any leeway. Most of the time if a seller doesn't ship within 2 weeks they have either no intention of shipping or have completely forgot about the item. When I open a claim after 2-3 weeks of zero communication one of two outcomes occur, they ship they very next day or they continue to ignore me until I am refunded. Either way I get the money or item much faster and can move on. If you wait until the 45th day you then have to wait one week for the seller to respond then then ~3 days for paypal to make a decision then ~3 for the refund to be in your account. That is almost two months that you have now had to wait.

I'm with you. I would hope that people will leave negative feedback for people that would wait 45 days--or a Paypal claim--to ship. I'd want to be able to see that feedback and stay away from that seller.

Waiting over a month and a half to get a record in hand, with no communication, seems way over the line to me.

Maybe I'm biased because I ship everything I sell by the next business day... 2-3 weeks seems way more than reasonable to wait for someone who won't respond.

You're username is Trevor...and the title of the thread has "fuckery" in it....are you a Trailer Park Boys fan?! :)

AND you're from Canada, and when I just looked at this thread it had "420" views haha

^^ haha

i would wait closer to the deadline date for a paypal claim, and just keep trying to get in touch with him

no Trailer Park Boys fans? Welp, that's a shame...

I'm with you! Was just looking at buying the complete collection yesterday.

On topic, like others have said, I've had shipments from the US take 3 days and some over a month. I usually don't contact the seller until 30 days have passed. But I've never had to file a claim for a shipment from the US and I've received hundreds of packages from the US.

So to hijack the thread.

I bought a rare record from the U.K. listed as an original press on Discogs. Item comes in and is a bootleg on a totally different color. I message the seller who say things to the effect of "it was a good price" and admits he knew it was a bootleg when he listed/shipped it, and will provide a refund if I return it.

Problem is I paid $16 to have it shipped to me and would cost the same to send it back and he is refusing to pay any of the return postage even though he knowingly mis-listed the item. What would you do VC?

I faced that situation once from a distro who claimed they had rare NOFX copies. They'll ask to ship the item back but it will cost you more than the refund you'll get. There's nothing you can do about it and it's a loophole in PayPal's way of things. That's a way to fraud in fact.

The only thing you can do is leave a fair negative feedback or fraud him back.