PO - Bloc Party - Four

Google is in fact your friend.

That being said, did anyone else listen to this yet? Octopus is quite possibly the worst track on the album; I'm puzzled why it was chosen as a single.

My expectations for the record as a whole were fairly neutral. And with that in mind... I was personally pretty damn impressed with Four. I'm struggling to get into the first three tracks or so, but from the fourth song on out it's an extremely solid listen. Easily their best work since Silent Alarm, for me. Definitely picking up a copy in a few weeks.

yeah, I think it's a pretty polarizing album. I personally always associated Bloc Party with urgent, dancy tracks (and it's apparent everywhere on their discography) and I understood why Intimacy wasn't very well received but I thought that it made sense as an album because they were progressing into that direction anyway and the remixes, which I always look forward to, were fucking killer.

then this album and i'm like... not sure with what they're trying to do? Bloc Party doesn't really come off to me as a 'heavy' band. even the best song on here, 3x3 just sounds like a ¡Forward, Russia! ripoff. I think VALIS would make a swell single but for the most part it feels like a stinker on my end. also, what the fuck happened to their drummer?? did he just decide to stop being mindblowing for this album or what? was the rest of the band getting tired of him overshadowing everyone else after like 8 years?

3x3 just sounds like a ¡Forward, Russia! ripoff.

My first thought is they were trying to write a Muse song. You're right though, it's polarizing. I'm glad for the most part they ditched the electronica but their drummer had a lot more chances to show off on SA. That said I was nervous about pre-ordering this album, setting low expectations definitely helped when I ended up liking most of the album. Octopus is a bit lame, I think the remixes on the Octopus EP are actually better than the original itself.

This one is weird to me. I loved SA, loved the B-sides to Weekend, loved parts of Weekend, liked a few parts of Intimacy, even. I feel like I should like this, because in theory its a return to the earlier sound, but something is just a little off. Maybe it's just the flow, or even the lyrics which seem silly to me on this one.

I have the picture disc which is supposedly limited to 500 copies yet insound still has it in stock amongst various other retailers. Makes me think the pressing info on this is deflated.

I think everybody assumes that the picture disc pressing was limited because the other picture discs for the other 3 BP albums were limited to 500.

Unless you can count every album you've listened to on two hands, or have a library of 100% musical gems... I have my doubts. Completely awful? What did you think of Intimacy?

I tend to not strongly dislike most music that I try to listen to, and if I know I'm going to straight up hate it, I won't listen to it in the first place. Like I said, it being one of the worst albums was a bit hyperbolic, but I still strongly, strongly dislike this album and it was an extreme disappointment.

Intimacy is also a pretty disappointing album, but still far less bad than Four in my opinion. I just don't understand why they are trying to be so "hard" on most of the songs... they clearly have the ability to write songs that sound similar to Silent Alarm, such as V.A.L.I.S. and Truth, two songs which I enjoyed, but the songs surrounding these two just completely put me off this album.

I tend to not strongly dislike most music that I try to listen to, and if I know I'm going to straight up hate it, I won't listen to it in the first place. Like I said, it being one of the worst albums was a bit hyperbolic, but I still strongly, strongly dislike this album and it was an extreme disappointment.

Intimacy is also a pretty disappointing album, but still far less bad than Four in my opinion. I just don't understand why they are trying to be so "hard" on most of the songs... they clearly have the ability to write songs that sound similar to Silent Alarm, such as V.A.L.I.S. and Truth, two songs which I enjoyed, but the songs surrounding these two just completely put me off this album.

I don't know the last time you listened to it but a good part of Silent Alarm are also loud chaotic songs. They just were written better.

Absolutely nothing on Silent Alarm is anything like Coliseum.

Perhaps heavy is a better word to describe the new sound on the album, and I am generally not a fan of anything heavy.

I can see where you're coming from with your distaste for Coliseum, and the last bit explains why you wouldn't care for Four at all. I wouldn't really call it a "heavy" album, but its moments of aggression are definitely a stark contrast to the softer or more electronic / danceable side of the band's discography.