MAN ADVICE

Weird realization my roomie and i had last weekend. We've been so busy the past several months, that on Friday when we were actually free & ready to hang with some peeps... we realized we don't have any friends?? Everybody's moved away or idk... people use to just follow us to whatever we're doing to hang... and those people are gone. uhhhhhh so new plan.... go out this weekend to try and make friends?? ....... any advice on that....? i've never been in this situation before. a win/win kind of night would be a new friend and a new lady to touch.

Ever use meetup.com? I have some friends that tried it for finding clubs/groups and making new friends.

this is equal opportunity advice. I started it to get advice from men on men. but then everyone with a penis took over... nicky I got you

that last line was crushing. i'm so sorry.

Yeah, I'm pretty devistated.  I just don't know what to do with myself.  I had a fucking plan for life up there in Chattanooga with her and now everything is just completely derailed.  We've breiefly discussed the posibility of us getting back together after she gets all her shit straightened up, but I'm skeptical.  I just feel incredibly hurt is all, especially after all the sacrafices I made for her, after all the years of devotion and love to her.  I seriously wanted to marry that girl.  I was terrified of it, but I loved her so much that I wanted to make that commitment. 

Weird realization my roomie and i had last weekend. We've been so busy the past several months, that on Friday when we were actually free & ready to hang with some peeps... we realized we don't have any friends?? Everybody's moved away or idk... people use to just follow us to whatever we're doing to hang... and those people are gone. uhhhhhh so new plan.... go out this weekend to try and make friends?? ....... any advice on that....? i've never been in this situation before. a win/win kind of night would be a new friend and a new lady to touch.

I think it is tougher than a relationship because for some reason it seems weird to ask for someones contact information the first time you meet them in a platonic situation. So, you really need to have some type of continued contact, which is tricky if you mostly have single serving contact and chance encounters. 

The easiest way to do it is join an adult sports team. But that creates a funny dynamic because you might be the new person in an established group. You also might not play sports. So here is two other possible alternatives.

One, get a hobby. Around here there is an open to the public printmaking studio, cooking classes, pottery classes, woodworking classes, beer and running club, the list goes on. The more beginner the course, the better luck you'll have on the friend side. When people are trying new things they'll often be alone and outside of their comfort zone, thus more likely to be open to interacting with a stranger. 

Alternatively, find a bar (or coffee shop or whatever) that has a vibe you like. And go there. Frequently. Over time you'll some other regulars and it'll start to happen organically. Maybe you'll catch a stool next to one another, or there will be a game you both want to watch, or a new beer on tap that you both want to try. The opportunities for conversation increase each time you go. 

TL;DR No one wants to be friends with a lazy person. Read it. 

I haven't been on the boards in over a yeeeaaarrr or, hell, maybe two, so lemme say HEY HI WHATS UP, I'M DAN AND I, LIKE TO PARTY (and watch Hot Rod).

Now. Where are you in VA? I grew up in Berryville/Winchester, but currently reside in the Land of Mary, which is okay I guess.

I think someone mentioned joining fight clubs and frequenting coffee shops, which is a great idea. 

What are you hobbiesssss?

JUST GO. GO do something. I recently began hiking parts of the appalachian trail and have come across some neat people that I've made plans to go with, because I've been hiking ALONE and although it's relatively safe, I really don't want to come across a bear and NOT have anyone witness me punch it in its throat! Also snakes!

One thing I was told years ago by some random dude who travels the world as a "nomad":

"Be interesting, and be interested"

That was all. Pretty cool dude. 

So, without any friends nearby, you've a fresh start. Spend a weekend bar-hopping with an English accent and fool the hell out of people, just make sure you make up a name because they'll facebook you. 

Oh, try tumblr. I've made some really cool friends from around the world that I occasionally drunk-skype with and it's so much fun, and I've had it less than a year.

K bye.

and after just a couple of days of giving her space while still being supportive of her.. well it seems like things are going to be alright. got a text earlier saying she didn't sleep at all last night, and that was an indirect lead-in to her saying that the only thing she wants to do is fall asleep with me. and a kissy-face goodnight.

Went out with that girl I mentioned a few pages back last night.

She's cute but not really cute.

She lives far away (over an hour) which is a hassle but not too far away to make it work.

She is nice but if I had to describe her in a couple words it would be "sorority girl". Says "like" a lot in all her sentences, talks in this fast, high voice. Could carry a conversation on generic topics (work, school, family) but nothing really got me interested on another level.

So that is the detailed way of saying that when every positive I could say about her has a "but" at the end of it, probably not worth pursuing. No one perfect and you can deal with some "buts", but just feel like there's too many. Feel like she was more into it than me so might have to let her down in the next couple days. Back to the hunt...

last.fm already made tastebuds. i had zero luck on there, but mostly because there are so few users. as cool of an idea as it seems though, you find quickly that liking the same music isn't as strong of a gateway to more things in common that you'd imagine.

last.fm already made tastebuds. i had zero luck on there, but mostly because there are so few users. as cool of an idea as it seems though, you find quickly that liking the same music isn't as strong of a gateway to more things in common that you'd imagine.

That's like all Madie and I talked about for the first few months. Music.

It's funny my fiance and I rarely agree on music, pretty much the only thing we agree on is Modest Mouse. However we agree on just about everything else, politics/religion/etc...

Is it bad/odd I dont like girls who are into the same music as me? Not my type. Plus I dont want a girl who is passionate about the same things as me. I dont want to hate the music a girl listens to, but I dont want her favorite band to be my favorite band. I think thats what I loved about my last relationship. We had some bands we liked in common, but overall the genres we were mainly into were different