comcast & illegal downloading

recently moved back in with my parents, and now my dads claiming that hes getting letters from comcast warning him about illegal downloading.

im sure that im the source of the problem, but im wondering if anyone is familiar with how this works. i generally download through torrents and file sharing sites (filestube, rapidshare, mediafire, etc). is one of these more likely to be tracked than the other?

I have comcast and have never gotten a letter and I download shit all the time. I use private torrent trackers and file sharing sites so they can't really track it. As mentioned its your uploads that they watch so just be careful of that. If you can get on a private site like what.cd or waffles.fm because they can't track private trackers like they can public ones.

I would take an invite to a private torrent site. I have demonoid, but don't always find everything and sometimes go to thepiratebay, which is probably one of the worst ones.

How are what and waffles as far as upload requirements? I have no problem sharing bandwidth, but I believe it's the uploaders they always go after.

And I'm not an expert on torrenting but I don't think private trackers are untraceable. If you are uploading, your IP address is in the information somewhere. I think the public ones are just easier fish to fry so they go after those ones more. Maybe I'm completely wrong. I dunno.

Only thing I have gotten in trouble for was downloading The Office. Guess that is what I get for watching such a horrible show. It has made me a bit paranoid.

Untraceable no but since it's private so they don't know what the information is, so they can't say or do anything.

I was under the impression that when downloading a torrent regardless of public or private it is trivial to see the IP address that the download is coming from, which is all that is needed to bust someone.

Correct me if I am wrong.

You're right and wrong. The ip is really important but before they can do anything, they have to know what you're downloading is illegal. The torrent indicates what youre downloading and on a public tracker you can back trace and find out what the torrent is for, but on a private one they can't go back and find out what it's for. So while yes your IP is super important so is what you're downloading and on a private one they can see you are but not what, and that's the key.

I just assumed they got your IP by downloading the torrent themselves of the illegal material and then associating it with the IP it is coming from. Seems pretty easy to associate a torrent with a copyrighted object.

Again that's the point of private, public they can associate the torrent with the copyrighted material and private they can't.

on the topic of Comcast. Anybody else get hit with them deleting the HD channels in the 200's, and now you have to use the 800's only? I lived in the 200's, it's been a week or so and I am still so lost.

Haha yeah I'm so lost, and now I'm gonna have to reprogram my DVR, dick move Comcast

I have comcast and have never gotten a letter and I download shit all the time. I use private torrent trackers and file sharing sites so they can't really track it. As mentioned its your uploads that they watch so just be careful of that. If you can get on a private site like what.cd or waffles.fm because they can't track private trackers like they can public ones.

any chance youve got invites for those?

i never mess around with the 200s in comcast.. i stick with the 800s for hd. what kind of channels did you lose?

I just assumed they got your IP by downloading the torrent themselves of the illegal material and then associating it with the IP it is coming from. Seems pretty easy to associate a torrent with a copyrighted object.

Seems fucked up that they have to illegally download something to prove that you're doing it.

Seems fucked up that they have to illegally download something to prove that you're doing it.

Agreed, but think of it like speeding, it may look like you're speeding but unless they can prove you are (radar gun, speed matching, timing) they can't charge you with anything. So with illegal downloading unless they can prove what you're downloading is illegal they cant do anything.

• 8 months later...

I found this thread googling Comcast and their new illegal downloading policies. I use PirateBay and am super paranoid now, so you say I should switch to private? I mainly download tv shows, the only private one I've heard of is TvTorrents, but they're by invite only :/ Could someone advise me on what to do? Thanks so much.