Refunds on EBAY

hey got a quick opinion question...

i just bought a record off ebay. and it come in the mail today. in a fucking bubble mailer with NO cardboard or anything for support. i knew it was gonna be fucked when i opened it so i even made a video of me opening it to be safe.

and as expected its wrecked. huge crease in the top corner. ends are all dinged and a tear is forming towards the bottom. The record itself is actually fine but still i'm kind of pissed.

i sent the guy a message saying i was most likely going to file a claim to get my money back. but i would also be willing to be refunded 15 (i paid around 30) dollars.

Do you guys think thats fair? the picture in the auction clearly did not have any of these damages so it was definitely from being improperly shipped.

am i right in asking for some money off of this for his negligence?

i don't know... torn. i have been f'd royally before. i've sent vinyl in your regular vinyl mailer with bubble wrap and it gets bent to hell... and they blame it on me..

pending on which view you are looking at. a buyer - of course a refund / return will be asked for. as a seller, you did all you could. buyer has the advantage. especially in your case due to improper shipping.

iuno. i think i'm gonna message him back and say either a partial refund of 10 and ill keep it or i want a full refund and ill send it back. only because i'm listening to it now and it sounds awesome haha. don't want to hunt another copy down. the sleeve really is in bad shape... but then again although i do take really good care of my records i'm not super anal about sleeve condition.

its the early november acoustic EP btw. in case anyone was wondering.

Outside of the grammatical and spelling crimes committed in this thread & posts so far...

Reasonable request. I've gotten records in bubble mailers before but w/ cardboard stiffeners inside. Only once from a seller on eBay...luckily the record and jacket were fine. But I did still message the seller to let them know to ship out records using actual mailers in the future to avoid problems and complaints from buyers. I didn't ask for any refund or return since the record was fine as I said.

But yeah...if the record is all fucked up...jacket and/or record itself...then you're being reasonable in requesting at least a partial refund. Especially being that it was packaged very inadequately and poorly.

$10 refund or a full return seems like a fair offer on your part. The shipper was negligent in shipping in a bubble mailer, so he needs to make things right. If it was shipped properly, LP mailer with stuffing etc, and it was damaged I'd say you probably have to suck it up but it wasn't so it's all on him. Asking for the $15 partial refund I do think might have been to much, I'd look at it as the vinyl being 2/3 the cost and the "art" that comes with it is 1/3.

Make sure and be polite though, and send pictures. If he can see the damage he'll be more likely to be open to an easy return / refund.

I'd like to also just back up what Jhulud said, any time you receive a record packaged improperly send the seller a note. I just ordered the War Child 7" box set of amazon.com for like $24. When I got it it was in a proper lp mailer but with no stuffing, with it flopping around in there with 1 side of the box almost all the way torn off. I took a picture before opening. Then opened it saw there were a couple moderate - major creases on the box. I dropped the seller a message with a note saying I'm not looking for any kind of a refund but here are a couple pictures of what happened and just asked him in the future to take more care in packaging to avoid upsetting future customers.

Outside of the grammatical and spelling crimes committed in this thread & posts so far...

Reasonable request. I've gotten records in bubble mailers before but w/ cardboard stiffeners inside. Only once from a seller on eBay...luckily the record and jacket were fine. But I did still message the seller to let them know to ship out records using actual mailers in the future to avoid problems and complaints from buyers. I didn't ask for any refund or return since the record was fine as I said.

But yeah...if the record is all fucked up...jacket and/or record itself...then you're being reasonable in requesting at least a partial refund. Especially being that it was packaged very inadequately and poorly.

"Reasonable Request." is not a complete sentence.

its the early november acoustic EP btw. in case anyone was wondering.

was watching that auction and slept on it. was blown when it sold for $30ish. feeling pretty alright about not bidding now. that is going to be a valued addition to my collection someday and a fucked up sleeve would not bode well with me.

that sucks OP. i think a partial refund is a fair request.

I sold a record about a month ago, and the winner was in the UK. I tested it right before I sent it off to him, and he leaves me negative feedback after receiving it saying that it's warped and I failed to mention it. It was perfect before I sent it off, and he never bothered to contact me before leaving negative feedback. That pisses me off. I have had 100% perfect feedback (selling and buying) since 2001. Now I no longer have that.

I sent a feedback review request type thing, but have heard nothing back. Asshole.

I bought a $70 vinyl on eBay one time and it was packaged well. However, the sleeve wasn't in the best condition, and I didn't think the seller gave an accurate description of the quality, so I sent him a message. I asked for $25 off and he was happy to oblige. Got to keep my record and got a significant discount.

Most sellers on eBay will go out of their way to make you happy if you just ask nicely.

Kind of unrelated but has anyone who sold something on ebay gotten a a payment reversed by a buyers bank through paypal. Just got a notice of this and I have never dealt with this. Of course I got this the day after I shipped it, have to keep up a power seller status while they don't give a shit what buyers do.

Should I just see what paypal comes back to me with? Should I contact the buyer? contact ebay?

You should get a FULL refund.

It's the seller's responsibility not to be lazy and to take the proper measures to protect their product from damage.

Here is an email I received today from a discog's customer:

When i opened the package i was amazed on how well taken care of the vinyl+sleeve was.

Thanks again, and a pleasure doing business with you.!

I just follow the directions in the "How to pack a record thread" sticked in the buy/sell forum. If someone is too lazy to cut out some cardboard, then screw them, they have no business selling records.