Is Instagram true photography?

Here's a great argument for the case that it is:

Just like when books were invented people thought they would rot peoples brains, then it was TV, now the internet...

Or Shakespearean plays>silent movies>talkies...

The last part about time, I look at my vinyl collection and wonder if that's not part of the reason I buy records. Records can and do decay, do we feel closer to them because they are affected by time like we are?

right up until kodak fucked my dad i would have been mad about instagram but it is what it is.

I don't understand this, but my interest is piqued. The Almighty, in my opinion, is right: pictures is pictures. I feel like we have this debate anytime technology lowers the barrier for entry to any job or hobby. The people that had done it previously get all butthurt for a while, then realize they are still, in most cases, better at it regardless. Everyone moves on.

I don't understand this, but my interest is piqued. The Almighty, in my opinion, is right: pictures is pictures. I feel like we have this debate anytime technology lowers the barrier for entry to any job or hobby. The people that had done it previously get all butthurt for a while, then realize they are still, in most cases, better at it regardless. Everyone moves on.

haha sorry, cryptic.

my dad has worked for the last 30 years in kodak's film department, has survived every layoff and pay cut and bullshit they could throw at him, the complete end of film for kodak etc. i was raised on fuji being the devil. instagram and its filters and fancy camera bullshit people put on there to make it look like their digital photograph was really film...rubs me the wrong way. if that makes sense. if you wanted it to look like film you should have fucking bought film and supported an american company blah blah

however, kodak decided recently to cut all retirement benefits (including medical coverage for retirees) so my dad is getting yet another a big fuck you after working his entire life for that shit factory.

edit: so instagram away. gooooo digital!

as long as the result is aesthetically pleasing, i don't care what the process was.

it's like saying any artist who traces is cheating. fuck that. i trace sometimes. it's certainly not the entire process, but it makes the end result a lot better.

this, BUT my case against instagram is, that it does most of the work for you, art/photography involves several sorts of processes, that beyond pushing 2-3 buttons, instagram just doenst meet. its really fun, and interesting, but i don't think it counts.

A Holga does all the crazy vignette and light-leaks on it's own. a fish-eye does all the work for you. and again, Art is 100% subjective.....because you don't view it as art doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else can call it art. There's few things in this world I enjoy more than busting out my Lloyd's Bulk-Loader and rolling my own canisters of B&W film, shooting it, developing it, and making prints in the dark-room.....just because that's my preferred method of creating doesn't really give me the right to discredit somebody's preferred method of creativity outside of this particular way. a great image is a great image regardless of how it was captured and what device was used to capture it.