Question for owners of White Pro-Ject turntables

For those of you that have yours equipped with an acrylic platter:

How does it look when you put a transparent colored record on the table? Does light shine through the colored vinyl and the acrylic platter and light up the table a little?

If anyone could hook me up with some pictures I would really appreciate it, trying to decide on a color for my new table and thought this might be cool. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an acrylic platter coming via mail order for my (red) Debut III and I've pretty much wanted to jam some lights under it since the first time I saw one online. There's not a lot of clearance under the metal platter - maybe 1/8 of an inch between the platter and the deck - so if the acrylic platter is a similar height, I suspect putting LED lights under there will be next to impossible.

On the other hand, the craft chain store Michael's sells these packs of cheapo glow-stick bracelets for $1 for 8 or 10, and they would just about fit. It's a temporary solution to the problem, but I guess it'd be worth a try.

Another possibility would be to paint the underside of the platter with luminous/glow-in-the-dark paint, so that it would get 'powered up' by light through the acrylic and then make the platter glow from beneath, even when regular black vinyl was put on top. Personally, I'm not going to try that one (the platter ain't cheap!) but it's fun to think about. 

I did the LEDs under the platter thing when I first got my Debut Esprit over 4 years ago, but for some reason decided to get rid of them a few months later. I'll post a pic if I manage to find one.

There's enough space under the platter, because the first two inches from the edge are thicker than the rest of the platter.

EDIT: found them, the pictures are bad, but you can see it's doable.

img6975.jpg

img6976.jpg

It doesn't get all staticky like a mat does and doesn't collect dust like a mat does and doesn't stick to your record when you take off the table. And if you have a debut iii, it's a twelve inch platter and the stock one is only 10.

Lots of pluses

Most importantly, apparently you can shoot LED lights through it. Pretty cool idea I must admit.

So how exactly did you set this up? Im interested if its cheap to do. 

I did the LEDs under the platter thing when I first got my Debut Esprit over 4 years ago, but for some reason decided to get rid of them a few months later. I'll post a pic if I manage to find one.

There's enough space under the platter, because the first two inches from the edge are thicker than the rest of the platter.

EDIT: found them, the pictures are bad, but you can see it's doable.

img6975.jpg

img6976.jpg

i have a question. are these platters able to go with my Essential?

I don't see the essential listed under acrylic platter or the glass platter accessories. I'm going to try and use a cork mat to reduce static electricity although I would love to get one of those great looking platters for my essential!

So how exactly did you set this up? Im interested if its cheap to do. 

I want to do this so bad! Also,that bob marley record looks awesome. I wonder if it's still available. 

I used these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10213831/

strala-light-chain-w--bulbs-indoor__0134

Cut out a semi-circle from a thicker black paper, and taped the LEDs to it (so I didn't have to tape them to the table, avoiding any glue residue) in a circle, about two inches in from the platter diameter. Placed that paper on the table, so it went just around the platter base. Placed the platter over everything, making sure there was no contact between the moving and still parts. I'm not the best at explaining it, but it's really simple (I had a pic of how everything looked under the platter, but cannot find it). Ran the cable from under the platter at the back, with the battery compartment/power switch placed beside the table. A total cost of $3 plus batteries.

I used these:

Cut out a semi-circle from a thicker black paper, and taped the LEDs to it (so I didn't have to tape them to the table, avoiding any glue residue) in a circle, about two inches in from the platter diameter. Placed that paper on the table, so it went just around the platter base. Placed the platter over everything, making sure there was no contact between the moving and still parts. I'm not the best at explaining it, but it's really simple (I had a pic of how everything looked under the platter, but cannot find it). Ran the cable from under the platter at the back, with the battery compartment/power switch placed beside the table. A total cost of $3 plus batteries.

Wow that's so easy.  Thanks for the tip!  Next time I'm near an Ikea, I'll head over and check them out.

I used these:

Thanks man!