PO - Death Cab for Cutie - The Barsuk Years LMTD Ed Collection

Holy shit, I got order 0002. That's pretty damn cool. If I remember correctly the fella who received 0001 posted in here as well! Still jealous of whoever gets 0405 though. 

Everything is in fucking perfect condition, I'm really happy as regards to the physical aspects. No warping, dents, wet stains. Everything looks so beautiful. I'll get back on how everything sounds, and I'll check out my mislabels. I'm expecting a mislabel, but the set is just, so fucking gorgeous it doesn't even matter to me anymore

Is anyone else's Transatlanticism skipping like /hell/? The only song that had no skips whatsoever was side B which is the song, Transatlanticism. It was absolutely gorgeous and flawless and I was just lost in all 8 minutes of it. Other than that, the entire fucking album skipped and popped a lot. I'm upset because this is my absolute favorite album.

Also, I'm kind of new to vinyl. (started back in Septemberish) What does the speed (rpm) determine? And, why does that impact the press of Trans?

Other than that, these albums sound gorgeous. 

Is anyone else's Transatlanticism skipping like /hell/? The only song that had no skips whatsoever was side B which is the song, Transatlanticism. It was absolutely gorgeous and flawless and I was just lost in all 8 minutes of it. Other than that, the entire fucking album skipped and popped a lot. I'm upset because this is my absolute favorite album.

Also, I'm kind of new to vinyl. (started back in Septemberish) What does the speed (rpm) determine? And, why does that impact the press of Trans?

45rpm means wider grooves, better reproduction of the sound, but also shorter length per side.  Stability EP is cut at 45rpm.  The way these sound, I don't think Trans needs to be recut at 45, sounds excellent the way it is.

Thats funny because there's only one slight skip on mine and it's in the middle of transatlanticism (song)

Whhoooohhhoooo, mine was shipped yesterday, hope it will arrive next week, the german customs are sometimes very slow ... .

I never had any skipping records (except for Rogue Wave's Permalight, there is a high compressed part in the title track of the album ... .), but I will give the whole box an attentive listening on my old Dual 1234.

Really hope that they fix the "trans" issue, thought it will be great to have this milestone on 45rpm, cause I already own the first german press (2LP, 33rpm and colored inner-sleeves).

From what I've seen and read it may not be your record. It could be your turntable or needle or cartridge.

I would also clean all my records before playing. (New records can sometimes have little particles and stuff from the plant on it.) 

Also if available try testing on another turntable as well.

45rpm means wider grooves, better reproduction of the sound, but also shorter length per side.  Stability EP is cut at 45rpm.  The way these sound, I don't think Trans needs to be recut at 45, sounds excellent the way it is.

You can pick up a copy of the original 45rpm Pallas-pressed version still sealed for around $35. Glad I didn't sell mine waiting on this coming in. However I have no doubt it sounds terrific as it's supposed to be the same all analogue mastering done by Kevin Gray, one of the good guys who doesn't play "loudness wars" games.

As for Pallas, it's suprising they botched the labels so badly, but I do find the pressing plant has a lot to do with it. Rainbo really botched The Beatles LP's and box sets badly, dinged corners, off centred pressings, tonnes of non fill, meanwhile the Pallas-pressed EU editions are whisper quiet and dead centred. I think RTI would definitely do a better job than Rainbo with these as every MOFI title I've ordered has been very consistent.

However I reserve the most disdain for URP in Nashville. I know they seem to do a great job for Jack Black, but just about any other major label title I find I get up to check when it sounds like gash and sure enough it's URP. I had to buy three copies of DMB's "Big Whiskey" before getting one with a centred SIDE D, same for Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue, the third copy I just imported the German version and it was perfect.

For major label releases these days I usually just import from Amazon UK unless I know it was pressed at A+R in Dallas, TX, QRP in Salinas, KC or RTI in California. My copy of Mellon Collie was fine, but I did think it strange to go that far into the deadwax on SIDE A instead of just cutting a little more quietly and using narrower grooves. Stan Getz did a great job with all the other Pumpkins titles.

Really weird that they'd re-cut a master for Transatlanticism at 33rpm. Doesn't make any sense, why not just make some fresh mothers from the 45rpm master?

Shame they didn't use Kevin Gray's excellent mastering for the Super Audio CD, what a waste of that format's capabilities.

For major label releases these days I usually just import from Amazon UK unless I know it was pressed at A+R in Dallas, TX, QRP in Salinas, KC or RTI in California. My copy of Mellon Collie was fine, but I did think it strange to go that far into the deadwax on SIDE A instead of just cutting a little more quietly and using narrower grooves. Stan Getz did a great job with all the other Pumpkins titles.

QRP is in Salina, KS.

Got number 72. Anyone else's box set like fall apart trying to get Transatlanticism out? The gatefold is like too big for the slot. I wasn't able to read through all of this, but it looks like that is the only correctly labeled record for me.

i think pretty much everyone reports Trans and Airplanes to be correctly labeled. and yeah, the top part where the album titles are listed isn't secure and comes up a little bit when taking Trans out. i'm not sure if anyone else even mentioned it, but it happens with mine and is definitely annoying haha.

edit: especially with plastic outer sleeves on them 

Latest from amazon:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on January 13, 2013 (Order# 109-0078933-5233813). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Death Cab for Cutie "The Barsuk Years (180 Gram Vinyl Limited Edition)"

Estimated arrival date: June 17, 2013 - July 08, 2013