Grad School

I appreciate your opinion thebiglebowski. If you were to go on any forum for kids going to law school, they would say not asking for more is a naive thing to do. The thing is, Rutgers isn't that prestigious in terms of law school. If I had to choose between two schools that gave me the exact same offers (not saying Seton Hall and Rutgers gave me the same offer but if I were to add the statistically better employment outcomes from Seton Hall to their offer, it might be roughly the same) wouldn't I want to ask for a better offer from one of them to help my choice along? It is an offer after all and with legal work as low as it is nowadays, I want to be open to different opportunities that come my way post-law school. With a potential massive amount of debt (again, just insurance to make me feel better), it sort of limits that.

I am a hard worker and I know that I can maintain that 3.0. Is it bad to just be nervous?

i work in a legal office for the state (so standards are already lower than somewhere private where you start at a salary twice or three times what you would here) and all the applications for the unpaid legal intern/externships i see have well over a 3.0 average, and most of them don't even get what they apply for. competition is tough, so if you're worried about maintaining just a 3.0 enough to ask them to lower the scholarship requirements for you, then maybe you should consider another field of study? not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.  

I guess I should provide a little background for my thoughts into asking for more. I spent A LOT of time on r/ school of law and TLS (another big forum) and my impressions on asking for more are solely because I was convinced that would be the right thing to do. Maybe I will, maybe I won't... I'll do more research and figure it out... I do really appreciate what has been said though. A little light has been shed on my decision.

i mean, i'm not sure that i would make major life decisions based on the experience of people on reddit. everyone's experience is different; every school is different. if it was me in charge of admissions and i extended a full merit-based scholarship to a student, and that student then turned around and asked for the standards to be lowered for maintaining it, i would most definitely reconsider and probably offer it to someone else instead.

i have never applied for or attended law school, and thus have no real applicable real world experience that can be applied to your situation, but the whole point of a scholarship is you are being rewarded something monetary in return for living up to the standards they set. it just seems so backwards to me for someone to ask for standards to be lowered. there are plenty of students out there who i'm sure would kill for a full ride and would be happy to maintain that 3.0 GPA.

The whole point of a scholarship is you are being rewarded something monetary in return for living up to the standards they set. it just seems so backwards to me for someone to ask for standards to be lowered. there are plenty of students out there who i'm sure would kill for a full ride and would be happy to maintain that 3.0 GPA.

You're absolutely right about that. I've never thought of it in that light before.

You're absolutely right about that. I've never thought of it in that light before.

look at it this way; they wouldn't have offered it to you if they didn't think you could maintain the GPA and live up to their standards. be thankful you got such an awesome scholarship, accept it, go to law school, work your tail off, then reap the rewards of being an attorney without the insane debt! B)

Mine was like that too, but they just compensate by giving everyone who shows up and tries a B. They know that a lot of employers won't pay for Cs so there is financial incentive to bump their grades up a little so they keep their revenue coming in (unless someone really blows a class or doesn't try).

Mine was like that too, but they just compensate by giving everyone who shows up and tries a B. They know that a lot of employers won't pay for Cs so there is financial incentive to bump their grades up a little so they keep their revenue coming in (unless someone really blows a class or doesn't try).

yeah, in my electroanalytical chemistry class this is how the grades worked. we had 3-4 exams. what the prof would do was take 2-3 journal articles and ask questions based off of them--this could be verifying calculations, validating findings, finding errors, etc. they were take-home and we typically got a few days because they were brutal (and he knew it). this guy from Nepal that was in the same research group as me was always in the mid B range. I was in the high C, low B range. and the rest of the class was in the 40s-50s (or in some cases worse). in the end, he made an A, I made an A-, and everyone else made a B.

yeah, in my electroanalytical chemistry class this is how the grades worked. we had 3-4 exams. what the prof would do was take 2-3 journal articles and ask questions based off of them--this could be verifying calculations, validating findings, finding errors, etc. they were take-home and we typically got a few days because they were brutal (and he knew it). this guy from Nepal that was in the same research group as me was always in the mid B range. I was in the high C, low B range. and the rest of the class was in the 40s-50s (or in some cases worse). in the end, he made an A, I made an A-, and everyone else made a B.

Doesn't say you had a choice but NEVER take the take home exam option if the teacher gives you the option. It's a trap.

in my grad program, anything below a B was considered failing and you wouldn't receive credit. didn't happen often, but I knew a few people who had to take a course twice.

overall GPA had to be at least a 3.0 to continue receiving the tuition waiver and stipend.

Same with my school.  

in my grad program, anything below a B was considered failing and you wouldn't receive credit. didn't happen often, but I knew a few people who had to take a course twice.

overall GPA had to be at least a 3.0 to continue receiving the tuition waiver and stipend.

That's pretty intense. I'm in optometry school right now and we have to keep GPA above 2.15. They are pretty ruthless with grading though so...