DC TV (Arrow/Flash/Legends/Supergirl)

i plan on starting this once i finish smallville. (it's taking forever). i know the two shows aren't connected, but how does it compare?

Phew that is a tough question for me. Smallville is my favorite show ever, so I rank it ahead of Arrow. How far are you in Smallville?

The obvious differences between the two are 1) They kill people every episode on Arrow whereas no one ever died on Smallville (except characters like Jonathon Kent) and 2) There are no superpowers on Arrow.

The no superpowers thing took me some time to get used to after Smallville. I almost bailed on Arrow because it was so ridiculous to have a normal, non-superpowered guy dodging bullets. I think they have found a nice balance between being believable but still having good action as the season has progressed. 

And one more -- Smallville had one big bad each season with goons in the leadup episodes. Arrow has a cast of "super" villians that come in and out of the storyline over time. They only really zeroed in on the finale storyline over the last 2 or 3 episodes of the season.

I give Smallville a 10/10 and Arrow a 9/10 (so far). If you like one, you will like the other. Supernatural is in the same class as these shows as well but that is a MUCH bigger time commitment to catch up on than Arrow.

It's kinda funny how everything on CW is either awesome or terrible (adding in the UPN shows).

Terrible: 90210, Gossip Girl, Beauty and the Beast, and a whole bunch of other "chick" shows that I don't want to deal with.

Awesome: Smallville, Arrow, Supernatural, Buffy, Angel, Veronica Mars

i'm just about to finish season six of smallville. i had probably watched the first three seasons several times over the last decade but decided to start fresh and run through it. i couldn't pass on the box set for $125. 

i've heard really great things about arrow, so i'm excited to watch it now. I'm a huge DC fan, so anything that makes the characters look great on screen is great in my book. DC doesn't have the best record with movies/tv unfortunately. Though I didn't even mind birds of prey. wasn't great, but it had it's moments. 

i'm just about to finish season six of smallville. i had probably watched the first three seasons several times over the last decade but decided to start fresh and run through it. i couldn't pass on the box set for $125. 

i've heard really great things about arrow, so i'm excited to watch it now. I'm a huge DC fan, so anything that makes the characters look great on screen is great in my book. DC doesn't have the best record with movies/tv unfortunately. Though I didn't even mind birds of prey. wasn't great, but it had it's moments. 

Good. So you got through that Witch storyline that was the worst decision they made. Season 8 was my favorite (Doomsday). It really rebounds nicely as it goes into the justice league storylines and the "classic" superman villians over the second half of the series.

Hope that isn't giving away too much.

And last time I checked, Arrow was killing it in the ratings and the overall reviews of the show are positive, so should fill that Smallville void for a while. Sounds like you should be watching season 2 live in the fall.

ya, i pretty much took ollie's banging of laurel as his feeling that he could retire after he takes down tommy's dad.  tommy's totally gonna hate him.  i don't know much about the actual comic, but tommy's just developing so much resentment and anger towards his old BFF that i can see him taking over dad's role as the villain.

i enjoy the island sequences and the little bit that gets revealed each time, but man that wig he wears is awful.

My PVR downloaded this a little before it actually aired somehow.

That was not how I expected things to go. Just continued further along the "this is not Smallville and everything is not going to always be OK" path.

Pretty solid episode wrapping up a solid season. I'll wait a little bit to say anything more.

Malcolm alive or dead? Made it seem like dead but not 100% conclusive.

ya, i wonder about that also.

i don't know much about the comics but i'd assume you can't have both merlyns die right?  i'm assuming the evil archer character goes on and if malcolm had died, tommy would take his place.  with tommy being taken out, you'd think malcolm ends up surviving if that character is important in the series.

I just kinda wonder if Diggle was left wounded on that roof for a reason -- cause Malcolm is going to wake up.

Could very easily be done with the dark archer for the show, however. Still have deadshot, deathstroke, china white, a few others, and numerous villians they haven't touched yet to go forward with.

It would be cool to know what heros they can actually utilize. Not sure how that licensing works. But Smallville was going when Superman Returns was made, so maybe TV and Movie rights are usually kept separated? A batman cameo would be incredible...

• 2 months later...

**Minor spoilers**

It looks like we're getting a Flash series. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/178533-the-flash-will-feature-his-red-suit-in-new-series

They're going to introduce the character in an episode this season. It also looks like they're straying away from the "no superpowers" rule that they've set in place, which is bittersweet. 

I really don't know how to take that. My initial thought was "don't mess with a good thing" but then I think about all the cool crossovers they could do with superpowers in the mix, the new enemies they could bring in, and it could be sweet.

How does the Flash get his powers? I'm realizing I know nothing of his origin. Born with them? He's just a normal person, though, right?

• 2 months later...

Was thinking that laurel was the black canary up until last episode.

Thinking maybe Shadow now? Or could be someone new.

Also, seems like we might be getting close to some Deathstroke. Slade looked like he was getting burned pretty bad in that last one.

And they mispronounced Rhas just like the new Batman movies.

• 2 weeks later...