eBay question

If he wants you to use paypal, it's probably a scam. I would send him a money order. That's the safest way.

Youre right but its not always reliable. Just send cash and be done with it. Also be sure to label the envelope "Cash" so the post office is aware.

• 2 months later...

Stupid question, probably:

so I sold that damn camera on ebay finally. but the dude wants me to ship it asap. He paid me today, and wants me to send the camera tomorrow so he gets it before he goes to israel. I googled some shit but can't really find anything. Should I wait to ship it after the money clears? Also, he emailed me shortly after paying telling me to send it to a different address than the one listed on his ebay account.

Could he cancel the payment after I ship it or something? is the different address part sketchy?

I feel paranoid.

So he paid but it's pending? Wait until it clears.

As for him asking to ship to a different address, I think that's a pretty common scam - you don't have an argument with paypal if you don't ship to a verified address. I've obliged to buyers requests before without a problem, but I've never sold anything as expensive as your camera.

Agreed... and thanks lebowski, I was waiting for you to weigh in.

Something definitely does not feel right about this whole thing. I tried googling the dude and his supposed company in California that he co-owns and came up with nothing.

Agreed... and thanks lebowski, I was waiting for you to weigh in.

Something definitely does not feel right about this whole thing. I tried googling the dude and his supposed company in California that he co-owns and came up with nothing.

Lol. Why's that? I try and answer every question?

I did a quick google check and it looks like lemongoat's answer is better. If you ship to an unconfirmed address and a claim is filed, you automatically lose. Didnt know that. I'm thinking from now on when I eBay I might throw a line in that says I only ship to confirmed addresses and then use discretion on whether I enforce it 100% or not.

If you do decide not to send it, not sure how the fees would work out. There's no fees in the case of non-payment but I'm not sure you get out of eBay fees if you say "I didn't trust the guy so I returned his money and cancelled the transaction". Maybe someone else can weigh in?

Haha i dont know you usually seem to have good advice about... Everything.

I am definitely not sending it. The guys emails even gave me a weird vibe. If it comes down to it ill swallow the eBay fees/negative feedback and deal with it. Dammit I just want to sell this camera!

Cool thanks.

You could relist it with terms like "no bidders with less than 50 good feedback, no unconfirmed addresses, no bad feedback within 3 months". Limits the market so the final price might not be as high but it should help weed out the scammers.

Or if you are done with all the internet shitheads just take it to Hardcore Pawn and try and get on TV?

The revised address the guy sent me was his ‘studio address’. He said he would be away on location shooting video, and that sending it to the studio address would ensure someone would be there to recieve it during delivery hours.

this is his studio address?

iodmyd.png

sigh.

OP - You messaged him after the auction was done. You are already breaking eBay rules. Go ahead and use paypal as "goods." He is just trying to circumvent eBay fees just like you didn't want to pay his listing price.

Madie - Never ship to an address that isn't his paypal account. Message him and tell him to change his address on paypal. Alos, always wait until payment clears.

Me - I am selling an item that is listed as local pickup only and a person from Sri Lanka bid on it. I can't wait for this to play out. But since I'm an eBay expect at least I know how to not get burned.

I know! I'm selling a sweet camera that was only used once for about 3 hours for almost 300 bucks under normal sale price. It's like I can't get rid of the thing. dang it