Man of Steel

3arl

This looks epic.

I've said some of these points in other threads (the Dark Knight Returns thread, the Arrow thread) but I really hope if this becomes a series of movies they embrace some of the more "out there" villians. Superman is SO powerful it is hard to write a good hollywood story around him. Bring in Darkseid or especially Doomsday. Smallville did them incredibly well. Get off the Lex Luthor focus. Zod is OK.

I dig it and I don't. I guess I am torn on the whole dark look of the movie. To me Superman has always been the Boy Scout and very bright and colorful. But at the same time dig dark superhero movies. You can definitely tell its a Zack Snyder film. Anyone see Man on Fire? The beginning of this trailer was just like a part if that movie.

• 4 months later...

Definitely looking forward to this. I would say this film is more serious than dark. 

It seems that there won't be any of that signature slow action motion that Zack Snyder is notorious for. 

I hope this does well so that DC can start releasing more films because Marvel is running out of good characters.

Zach Snyder also mentioned recently that they're not using Kryptonite in the movie.  Which is awesome, because it's such a weak and overused plot device.

I'm sure it will come into the second one. Luther is kinda useless without kryptonite as a weapon and no superman franchise is going to go without a Luther storyline.

I guess you could theoretically have a storyline around Luther where he only puts Clark's loved ones in danger but I don't see it.

I do agree it is cool not to have it in the first. I'm sure people just want to forget the last film but Clark lifting that mountain of kryptonite was just stupidity.

Definitely looking forward to this. I would say this film is more serious than dark. 

It seems that there won't be any of that signature slow action motion that Zack Snyder is notorious for. 

I hope this does well so that DC can start releasing more films because Marvel is running out of good characters.

This is very debatable. We'll see how films like Ant-man and guardians go.

Yeah, this current marvel run will eventually get old. I don't think I've seen any indication it has happened yet.

Superman the legend and superhero has always been awesome in my eyes. 

They just haven't made a good movie about him in decades. 

Hopefully this movie changes that. 

I would argue they never have. That first reeves superman was ok. I think it gets way more credit than it deserves. The rest of them are pretty awful. Think they have ratings in the 4-6 range on imdb.

Movie's going to be awesome but I still don't get how people will not recognize him just because he's not wearing glasses.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he won't become Clark Kent (the news geek as we know him) until the end. It looks like he's a drifter throughout the first part of the movie.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he won't become Clark Kent (the news geek as we know him) until the end. It looks like he's a drifter throughout the first part of the movie.

Yeah, this is the approach Smallville used (which I rave about anytime Superman comes up -- it's my favorite TV show ever and the best representation of Superman IMO). He was always just called "the blur" until the final episode when he got the suit and became the public figure of "Superman".

I'd recommend Smallville to anyone who is a fan of this genre but I get that it is a big commitment (10 seasons at 22 episodes each).

But "Arrow" has been nailing it and is something that could be caught up on in a weekend of heavy watching or 3 weeks of an episode a day. Also highly recommended.

Superman is the worst.  Here's what it probably looked like when they created that dicknuts of a superhero

A: hey, what powers should he have?

B: how about all of them?

A: flight?

B: of course

A: x-ray vision?

B: yup!

A: super strength

B: duh, you boner

A: time travel

B: what, are you new at this? of course

A: gee, he sounds super

B: boom, that's his name, let's go get some tacos