Album in general, cd/tape/vinyl/digital/8-track/etc.

It's a bit tough for me because I grew up in the time of the internet and I could just look up anything I wanted to listen to.

The only albums I 'had' were things I was forced to listen to in the car all the time. Most of my earliest memories are listening to The Colour and the Shape in my mom's car over and over and over. I'm embarrassed to say that I never really got into listening to music as an album until around the same time I got into records. Now, I'm a huge believer in the idea of albums as an art form. Just one song often doesn't give you the whole picture.

If I had to go with the first album I ever bought, it's a little confusing. Due to reasons seen above, I don't think I bought an album for myself until I started collecting. There are three answers to this:

1. A Day to Remember - Homesick (when I got my first turntable, I looked this up on vinyl and ordered it from SRC...it didn't show up until six months later)

2. Nirvana - Bleach (went to the record store the next day and picked this up, but I returned it after because it skipped on my awful starter turntable)

3. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters (I used my refund from Bleach to buy this. First record I bought and kept)

I like how you just included 8-track to a 15yr like that is even a possibility. SHIT, DUDE, YOU FORGOT LASER DISC!

Haha, hey, you never know. Maybe he has really cheap parents, and the first thing they gave him was their old 8-track player because they didn't want to buy anything.

First album I was given, was the Beatles - Sgt Pepper. I got it for Christmas when I was 5 or 6. It was on cassette, and I also got a little cassette/clock/radio thing, which I still use for my alarm clock. The first album I bought was Offspring's Smash on cassette when I was 8. I'm pretty sure it was with yard work money as well. The next time I could afford something, I bought Weezer's Blue album. Who knows after that. I do know the first album I bought on vinyl was Desaparecidos' Read Music, Speak Spanish when it came out. It so happened to come out right when a record store opened down the street from me, which is still the same one I frequent. 

This just brought up an interesting side note to this conversation. Can you remember the first album someone ever gave you, and the first album you ever purchased yourself?

my parents never bought me music. but my first anything was in '88. my brother came home (he was in college and I in grade shool) and he tossed me a tape of Straight Outta Compton. i wore it out. still can remember each track. stole smokes from moms and drank mad dog under the porch. man, i smoked Merits. the first one i got on my own was 5 at once.

jeff buckley

AIC - Dirt

Live - Mental Jewelry

PJ - 10

and Pablo Honey

my parents never bought me music. but my first anything was in '88. my brother came home (he was in college and I in grade shool) and he tossed me a tape of Straight Outta Compton. i wore it out. still can remember each track. stole smokes from moms and drank mad dog under the porch. man, i smoked Merits. the one i got on my own was probably Jeff Buckley.

That album is a staple in music, not just to the genre, but to music as a whole. I can't imagine a world without that album.

Haha, hey, you never know. Maybe he has really cheap parents, and the first thing they gave him was their old 8-track player because they didn't want to buy anything.

First album I was given, was the Beatles - Sgt Pepper. I got it for Christmas when I was 5 or 6. It was on cassette, and I also got a little cassette/clock/radio thing, which I still use for my alarm clock. The first album I bought was Offspring's Smash on cassette when I was 8. I'm pretty sure it was with yard work money as well. The next time I could afford something, I bought Weezer's Blue album. Who knows after that. I do know the first album I bought on vinyl was Desaparecidos' Read Music, Speak Spanish when it came out. It so happened to come out right when a record store opened down the street from me, which is still the same one I frequent. 

Those are all great picks. As a parent, I would probably give my kid Sgt. Pepper too, lol.

That album is a staple in music, not just to the genre, but to music as a whole. I can't imagine a world without that album.

It really is, and it seems the mainstream agrees, they did make a movie about it.

my parents never bought me music. but my first anything was in '88. my brother came home (he was in college and I in grade shool) and he tossed me a tape of Straight Outta Compton. i wore it out. still can remember each track. stole smokes from moms and drank mad dog under the porch. man, i smoked Merits. the first one i got on my own was 5 at once.

jeff buckley

AIC - Dirt

Live - Mental Jewelry

PJ - 10

and Pablo Honey

I can't imagine what would have happened if that was the first album I was given.

imagine getting it in 5th grade. my school, i was the lightest kid, so......i hummed it. and a catholic school to boot singing: Shoot a motherfucker in a minute

I find a good piece o' pussy, I go up in it

So if you're at a show in the front row

I'm a call you a bitch or dirty-ass ho

imagine getting it in 5th grade. my school, i was the lightest kid, so......i hummed it. and a catholic school to boot singing: Shoot a motherfucker in a minute

I think I was in about 7th or 8th grade when I discovered quintessential hop hop like that, only to not realize it's importance (or lyrics for that matter) until many years later. 

I'm surprising myself with things that are barely not making the cut...

The White Stripes

Motorhead

Kyuss

Melvins

Minor Threat

Son House

Texas Is The Reason

Pearl Jam

Fuck, I only have myself to blame. Top 10 is really fucking hard when your life is music.

Top 50 is to me what Top 10 is to an every day asshole.

I had to listen to that song, just because you mentioned it.

Snoop Doogy Dog - Doggy Style was the album that got me into hip-hop. Iron Maiden - Powerslave was the first "real" metal album I was really into. Neko Case - Fox Confessor made my love of country bud. Even though my parents were super religious, my mom really loved Black Sabbath, specifically Paranoid, and AC/DC. Green Day - Dookie was my intro to punk/pop-punk. The Arcade Fire - Funeral, and Belle and Sebastian - Dear, Catastrophe Waitress introduced me to "indie." And...probably Rites of Spring was my intro to emo.

Edit: Bowie and the beach boys made me start loving more classic stuff.

Ok, here is my top 10:

Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape
Nirvana - Nevermind
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Black Flag - Damaged
Caspian - Tertia
Between The Buried And Me - Colors
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Green Day - Dookie
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

It was so hard to not include Minor Threat and a multitude of other punk staples (Bad Brains, DRI, Buzzcocks), Texas Is The Reason, Muddy Waters, Pearl Jam, Melvins, Mos Def, Clutch, Sunny Day Real Estate, Beck, Neil Young, Bob Dylan...

ugh.

It took me three hours to decide Nevermind or Bleach.

If I had repeat artists my top 10 would be half Foo, half Nirvana.

Ok, here is my top 10:

Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape

Nirvana - Nevermind

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Black Flag - Damaged

Caspian - Tertia

Between The Buried And Me - Colors

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Green Day - Dookie

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

It was so hard to not include Minor Threat and a multitude of other punk staples (Bad Brains, DRI, Buzzcocks), Texas Is The Reason, Muddy Waters, Pearl Jam, Melvins, Mos Def, Clutch, Sunny Day Real Estate, Beck, Neil Young, Bob Dylan...

ugh.

It took me three hours to decide Nevermind or Bleach.

If I had repeat artists my top 10 would be half Foo, half Nirvana.

Really great list as well. Left off some great stuff too, but that's what made it interesting.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic