One of my close friends passed away when I was 14 and he was 18.

His girlfriend went on to sleep with his best friend after he passed away then told his family that she couldn't speak to them because they reminded her too much of him. So I ceased contact with her. If she couldn't talk to them. I didn't believe it was right that she could talk to me. I was completely disgusted with how she handled the whole thing and I don't even think she knew that he was driving to buy her an engagement ring when he died. No one told her because they were afraid she'd go crazy.

I know I sound like this awful person, I probably didn't handle it well. But she kept things of mine that I gave to him and I still carry that grudge. As well as knowing in the end she was not a good person.

Anyway, she just added me on Facebook and is getting married and invited me to her wedding gift registry and I'm so disgusted.

Oh my gosh.  The fact that he was driving to buy her a ring is heartbreaking. :(

I would totally be disgusted, too, if I were you.  Don't talk for years then expect a wedding gift?  Oh, yeah, and here's a friend request.

but she needz moar presentz!

bitch already took things of mine.

Is she marrying the friend?

Jhook brings the silver lining, ahhaha. No, she isn't. Just screwed around with him. I stopped talking to him too, she was obviously vulnerable and he took advantage of it. They're both to blame.

Oh my gosh.  The fact that he was driving to buy her a ring is heartbreaking. :(

I would totally be disgusted, too, if I were you.  Don't talk for years then expect a wedding gift?  Oh, yeah, and here's a friend request.

I know, when I found out, it completely broke me. 

In the end, I'm not happy he's gone...but I'm happy they never got engaged. Her real colors really started to show. 

I don't even believe that she's fully a bad person, I just don't think she had the best intentions. 

After he passed away, she also said she was pregnant with his child and everyone pampered her. Then she had a miscarriage. I'm honestly not sure I believe she was ever really pregnant, I think she did it to keep us around and on a leash. Fawning over her and constantly making sure she was okay. Then suddenly she has a miscarriage and can't talk to his family anymore because it's just too painful? But can still keep contact with his friends? Something wasn't right. 

8 years and now you want something from me? No thanks.

She hasn't messaged me or anything yet either. Just sent me a Facebook invite to join her wedding stuff. 

Fuck that.

I know I sound like this awful person, I probably didn't handle it well. But she kept things of mine that I gave to him and I still carry that grudge. As well as knowing in the end she was not a good person.

Moments of tragedy can really bring out the worst in the people.  My brother's best friend died about two years ago.  He and his girlfriend were inseparable and super great together.  When he died everything changed.  His other good friend took his girlfriend to Greece about two months after the death because Jimmy promised her he would take her one day.  They stayed together, lied to everyone about going, and that's that.

Family was so distraught over the death that they didn't see anything wrong with it until they finally did and now they are beside themselves that they were betrayed like that.  The girlfriend even tried to take most of Jimmy's possessions from the family and basically tried to tell them how to run the memorial and so many other things.

No one speaks to them now.  Most of us have become really close, but the outliers did their job and are no longer part of this new family.  You know who's a true friend after awhile.

Not condoning any of the actions, but Death does weird things to people. I can empathize with the perspective of not wanting to talk to the deceased's parents as well.

The weird part is getting back in touch after years of little to no contact

Yeah, I mean, I get that too. 

I'd have to write a novel about how poorly she handled the situation and how she treated everyone. 

But she very much made his death about her and she wasn't the only one who was hurting. 

She took MY things that he had because she felt that she had a right to them. 

When they retrieved items that were intact from the crash, she found a card that I had made him and told me about it. Then when I asked if she would bring it to me the next time she was in town, she told me that I had no right to it and that she was keeping it. 

In order to make him quit smoking, we had a deal. Every day he went without a cigarette, I would buy him a stuffed dinosaur. He had over 30 dinosaurs, I bought him a HUGE one for when he hit a month without smoking. She took it all.

Guaranteed it's all in a dump somewhere now. 

All I have is one of his shirts. 

I can't even find the letters he wrote me when he was in bootcamp and considering she was at my house a lot after everything happened, I have a feeling she took those too. 

Why take every possible memento of someone but then cut off his family because "it's too difficult."

I would drop her a PM on FB, tell her what's up, then block her before she responds. :ph34r:

I'm starting to learn that people like her aren't worth my time, energy, or words. 

I'm not saying she's a bad person now, maybe she's figured herself out and tries to forget what she's done in the past. 

Anything I say to her will only create drama, unless I try to recreate a friendship with her but that much forgiveness is not in me. 

If she grows the balls to apologize and recognize that what she did was wrong, I would absolutely reconsider. 

But I don't think she'd ever admit to it, honestly.

Wow she sounds awful. =[ I'm sorry Logan.

It was 8-9 years ago, you know? It's in my past. He's still very much a big part of my life and I miss him every day. 

But her just stirring the waters like this...and the way she did, really did not sit well with me at all.

A few months ago, his dad (who I haven't seen in awhile, mostly due to distance) showed up on my front porch on his birthday. He just wrapped me in a huge hug and cried. It was devastating. The whole family wants me to visit but I don't drive and they live quite a bit away, I'm hoping that once I have my license I can reconnect with them more soon. That's different. It's okay to bring up the past in that fashion.

Inviting someone to your wedding registry *not even the wedding* after knowing you've wronged them and the people you care about? Fucking low.

i had a similar-ish situation with my uncle, and his 'wife'. i say 'wife' because even though they were together for 20 years, she used to rant about how dumb marriage was and she hated it and would never get married, blah blah. she was a HUGE bitch and no one in the family liked her. she used to come to my parents house for holidays when my sister and i were little and make comments about how much she hated kids.

my uncle was the nicest, coolest, super soft spoken dude, and this woman was just loud and obnoxious. i don't usually hate on people based on appearance, but she had to have weighed over 400 lbs, so maybe he was afraid that he'd sit on him and kill him if he broke up with her? anyways. about 5 years ago he was diagnosed with colon cancer. long story short, they lived in the same city as us, but she kept my mom from seeing him when he was in the hospital (and almost died, because of an infection), then wouldn't let any of his family members come visit. she also decided suddenly that she wanted to marry him (he was an attorney and made pretty good money), which i'm sure was to get his benefits, money, etc. she had him sign over medical power of attorney to her when he was delirious in the hospital, and we're pretty sure that she gave OD'd him on his morphine in the end.

after he died, she had him cremated before anyone knew, complained to my dad that she didn't have time to 'shop around' and find a better price for it, and said there would be no funeral services. my mom was DEVASTATED. my whole family is catholic, and having a funeral and being buried vs being cremated is pretty important to them. no one got any closure from anything. none of the family members got any of his belongings, because his bitch of a 'wife' wouldn't give anything to anyone. luckily, he had given my mom some of his records before he got sick, so she had those, and all i have of his is a vonnegut book that he had given me to read when he was in the hospital (we had been trading books so he had something to read while he was sick).

ok, so that wasn't so short, haha. there's so much more that this woman did that was just scum of the earth awful that i can't even write about it it makes me so angry. but yeah, i understand your pain, logan.

i had a similar-ish situation with my uncle, and his 'wife'. i say 'wife' because even though they were together for 20 years, she used to rant about how dumb marriage was and she hated it and would never get married, blah blah. she was a HUGE bitch and no one in the family liked her. she used to come to my parents house for holidays when my sister and i were little and make comments about how much she hated kids.

my uncle was the nicest, coolest, super soft spoken dude, and this woman was just loud and obnoxious. i don't usually hate on people based on appearance, but she had to have weighed over 400 lbs, so maybe he was afraid that he'd sit on him and kill him if he broke up with her? anyways. about 5 years ago he was diagnosed with colon cancer. long story short, they lived in the same city as us, but she kept my mom from seeing him when he was in the hospital (and almost died, because of an infection), then wouldn't let any of his family members come visit. she also decided suddenly that she wanted to marry him (he was an attorney and made pretty good money), which i'm sure was to get his benefits, money, etc. she had him sign over medical power of attorney to her when he was delirious in the hospital, and we're pretty sure that she gave OD'd him on his morphine in the end.

after he died, she had him cremated before anyone knew, complained to my dad that she didn't have time to 'shop around' and find a better price for it, and said there would be no funeral services. my mom was DEVASTATED. my whole family is catholic, and having a funeral and being buried vs being cremated is pretty important to them. no one got any closure from anything. none of the family members got any of his belongings, because his bitch of a 'wife' wouldn't give anything to anyone. luckily, he had given my mom some of his records before he got sick, so she had those, and all i have of his is a vonnegut book that he had given me to read when he was in the hospital (we had been trading books so he had something to read while he was sick).

ok, so that wasn't so short, haha. there's so much more that this woman did that was just scum of the earth awful that i can't even write about it it makes me so angry. but yeah, i understand your pain, logan.

my initial impulse was to downvote this because her actions made me so angry. sigh. that is HORRIBLE

Reading this made me so mad.

this is also the same guy who would feed the stray cats by his house and named them all, then when he got sick, this bitch wouldn't even feed the cats for him or open the window blinds so he could see them from the couch.

she would also drive his car back and forth to the hospital because she 'wasn't wasting HER gas on that'.

but thanks, guys. still have a lot of hate cuz every once and awhile i see her at the grocery store or something, and she tries to talk to people in my family like nothing happened.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic