I have a preliminary phone interview with a huge church in ohio tomorrow. One of the questions was ‘have you accepted jesus as your lord and savior?’. It also asked what year I accepted Him and when I was baptized. I left all of those blank. What should I do when they inevitably ask me about this? At this point I think I’d actually be willing to go to church every sunday if the job paid well and got me to ohio, finally.

If they are an EOE they are not supposed to ask those questions.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission:

Illegal to:

denying employment opportunities to a person because of marriage to, or association with, an individual of a particular race, religion, national origin, or an individual with a disability. Title VII also prohibits discrimination because of participation in schools or places of worship associated with a particular racial, ethnic, or religious group.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

Ha... I should have read further.

i made it to a second round of interviews for a staff photographer job at the Catholic Witness (the local catholic paper here that reports on...churchy stuff), but ultimately was the second choice for the job and was kinda bummed i didn't get it cuz it was actually something i was interested in doing. then (since my parents are catholic) we got the next issue at our house and the whole front page was devoted to being pro-life and the evils of abortion and gay marriage and i was just like yep. couldn't have worked there anyways. super glad i didn't get that job.

I don't know what to do.

I think I might be honest with them. but i really want to go to ohio.

but I still think I should tell them I'm not bout that life.

I don't know what to do.

madie, i am here to tell you that you can go to ohio and live your dream life (ok, maybe not your dream life, but live life with BB) without the help of the j man.

BE TRU 2 URSELF.

I don't know what to do.

Stop for a minute and think about the assignments you would be handed. I know Dino-save-a-saurus and Penny-Pincher Piggy are annoying, but what kind of lterature are you going to have to create and put into the world at this place?

Allison's story should give you some indication of what might be on the assignment list.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission:

Illegal to:

denying employment opportunities to a person because of marriage to, or association with, an individual of a particular race, religion, national origin, or an individual with a disability. Title VII also prohibits discrimination because of participation in schools or places of worship associated with a particular racial, ethnic, or religious group.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

As far as I know Religious organizations can in fact ask about religious affiliations.  I know they can't completely remove people of other faiths from consideration but I do believe they can use it as a factor.

22. Could my employer be exempt from Title VII religion provisions?

An employer can be exempt from Title VII's religion provisions if they are a religious organization or a religious educational institution. Religious organizations are allowed to give employment preference to members of their own religion, but this exception applies only to institutions whose "purpose and character are primarily religious."

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic