Totally echo those sentiments. I think what's happened is that the media has boiled racism down to something you say, rather that something you do. Maybe she doesn't understand what it means to be racist. We focus so much on speech sometimes, that horrible shit like cops targeting minorities and stuff sometimes slip by us while we argue about what insensitive thing Mel Gibson said. 

Right? Like it all stemmed from me talking about how I kinda think it's a littttlllle ridiculous that girls are complaining about Nicki Minaj and Meghan Trainer because they aren't including/"dissing" skinny girls in their latest hits. Think about how girls who aren't tiny have felt their entire life with mainstream media, you can handle two fucking songs not including your body type.

My sister turned that into "people are just so ridiculous about everything these days, like this white girl with pumpkin spice latte thing. Like why is it okay to say that? If it was about any other race, you would get torn apart for it."

I was truly speechless, I didn't know what to say. I was stumbling for my words and she was like "Don't even try because I won't agree with you." Then it went into the whole I shouldn't say "we have white privilege" because it includes everyone and that's not fair.

I'm glad you guys get what I'm saying though. I love my family but they truly aren't well versed in culture or the privilege that we have. I try to educate them but I get shut down so fast.

She clearly doesn't understand what white privilege is. That's why it needs to talked about. People need to be educated on it. It's absolutely critical for the progression of racial harmony. Glad to see you and others on here have some knowledge on the subject. Spread that shit!

She clearly doesn't understand what white privilege is. That's why it needs to talked about. People need to be educated on it. It's absolutely critical for the progression of racial harmony. Glad to see you and others on here have some knowledge on the subject. Spread that shit!

It's sort of like how all the Social Justice Warrior/Tumblr crowd is uneducated and get made fun of when with a little education they might be able to help all have a better conversation about Social issues.  

Edit: the people making fun aren't constructive either. Some use it as an excuse to continue being pricks too. 

I guess because I don't really believe in misandry being a thing, I always grouped that with why white racism doesn't exist. 

It's a blurred line and I don't get upset about that aspect.

It's definitely more the white privilege thing that gets to me. The problem is that I really struggle with talking, I can type things out fine, but I get super flustered in person. My thoughts never come out how they need to and I end up not being able to stand my ground. 

I'm not trying to be some insane tumblr activist or anything, I just wish people (specifically, my family) were more perceptive to "hey, maybe the world isn't exactly how you perceive it to be. Hey, maybe these things hurt other people more than they hurt us."

I guess because I don't really believe in misandry being a thing, I always grouped that with why white racism doesn't exist. 

It's a blurred line and I don't get upset about that aspect.

It's definitely more the white privilege thing that gets to me. The problem is that I really struggle with talking, I can type things out fine, but I get super flustered in person. My thoughts never come out how they need to and I end up not being able to stand my ground. 

I'm not trying to be some insane tumblr activist or anything, I just wish people (specifically, my family) were more perceptive to "hey, maybe the world isn't exactly how you perceive it to be. Hey, maybe these things hurt other people more than they hurt us."

I think that's very healthy. Wanting people to be more open and empathic is never bad!

It's sort of like how all the Social Justice Warrior/Tumblr crowd is uneducated and get made fun of when with a little education they might be able to help all have a better conversation about Social issues.  

Edit: the people making fun aren't constructive either. Some use it as an excuse to continue being pricks too. 

Yo, I will admit that even though I just said how I'm not trying to be a tumblr savior or social justice warrior, I did learn A LOT about sexism/racism/cultural appropriate through Tumblr. Because of where I grew up, without that social platform...I would probably be just as ignorant. 

A lot of people on that site are ill-educated and go off on inappropriate tangents, but I have to give credit where credit is due. 

Yo, I will admit that even though I just said how I'm not trying to be a tumblr savior or social justice warrior, I did learn A LOT about sexism/racism/cultural appropriate through Tumblr. Because of where I grew up, without that social platform...I would probably be just as ignorant. 

A lot of people on that site are ill-educated and go off on inappropriate tangents, but I have to give credit where credit is due. 

I would never want to dismiss anything wholly. I'm sure tumblr has a lot of great blogs with really good arguments. I think my problem is because I want to be on their side, im all for them doing whatever the fuck they want and deserving to be treated as equals and human beings that I get upset when im told I shouldn't speak or can't be a feminist because I'm a male. Heck, I'm the worst of the worst I'm a white male. I have no interest in keeping anybody down, I don't belong to the Patriarchy!

I fully support male feminists. 

I do not support male "feminists" when it is stemmed from a "I am uncomfortable when we are not about me" mentality. But that's a totally different case and I really hate that there are people out there telling men they can't be apart of the feminist movement. 

II just wish people (specifically, my family) were more perceptive to "hey, maybe the world isn't exactly how you perceive it to be. Hey, maybe these things hurt other people more than they hurt us."

I know how that goes.  Both of my parents watch FOX news exclusively, because "they're the only news source that can be trusted".  I think my mom owns a few books by Glenn Beck as well.  They occasionally say shit that has me cringing super hard... and if I ever feel like arguing with their view-points or playing the devil's advocate, they rebut with "you've been spending too much time on the internet" or "those liberal professors really got to your head in college, huh?"  Their tunnel vision can be very frustrating, but I gave up on budging them quite a while ago.

[edit]

The best part is that I'll talk with them out of the blue about something that's going on in the world, and without fail my stance is always "wrong".  I don't know what FOX news preaches, but I find that it's usually 100% against whatever level-headed articles and debates are happening online.

I know how that goes.  Both of my parents watch FOX news exclusively, because "they're the only news source that can be trusted".  I think my mom owns a few books by Glenn Beck as well.  They occasionally say shit that has me cringing super hard... and if I ever feel like arguing with their view-points or playing the devil's advocate, they rebut with "you've been spending too much time on the internet" or "those liberal professors really got to your head in college, huh?"  Their tunnel vision can be very frustrating, but I gave up on budging them quite a while ago.

[edit]

The best part is that I'll talk with them out of the blue about something that's going on in the world, and without fail my stance is always "wrong".  I don't know what FOX news preaches, but I find that it's usually 100% against whatever level-headed articles and debates are happening online.

OMG this is my parents. Except I got them to be more skeptical of Fox News. Everything I say is "Something he heard on Rachel Maddow".

I fully support male feminists. 

I do not support male "feminists" when it is stemmed from a "I am uncomfortable when we are not about me" mentality. But that's a totally different case and I really hate that there are people out there telling men they can't be apart of the feminist movement. 

Totally. In my old age I've learned that the best thing you can do for anyone else is just be human towards them, no one is better, worse, or anything else, we're all stuck on the same earth (Earf if your will smith). 

It totally does. Im going to wear it to the rocky horror Scott Pilgrim thing next week. Did you get my other PM? I added another record cuz I made you wait, It's Halloween themed.

Ooh I haven't checked my pms yet. I've got a whole bunch unread lol. I'll check it in the morning when I haven't been drinking haha. Yay Halloween!!!!!

What's the best way to win an ebay auction?  Just put your max amount like 5 minutes before it ends?  Or is there more strategy involved?  I want to try and snag that /8 twiabp record if it stays at a somewhat reasonable price, but I don't want to lose out because I suck at ebay.

What's the best way to win an ebay auction? Just put your max amount like 5 minutes before it ends? Or is there more strategy involved? I want to try and snag that /8 twiabp record if it stays at a somewhat reasonable price, but I don't want to lose out because I suck at ebay.

Auctionstealer

I can't fucking spell

What's the best way to win an ebay auction?  Just put your max amount like 5 minutes before it ends?  Or is there more strategy involved?  I want to try and snag that /8 twiabp record if it stays at a somewhat reasonable price, but I don't want to lose out because I suck at ebay.

I just max it in the last 5 seconds.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic