Hunter is the biggest fucking baby. He cried for an hour and eventually got out of his crate somehow by being enough of a psycho to pry apart one of the walls of the locking collapsable crate. It's now 5am and I haven't slept. I can't fall asleep cause I'm pissed. I need to figure out how to solve his separation anxiety. He never wants to be alone. Ugh.

With my dogs they just had to get used to it. It takes time and they cried a lot at the start (and kept headbutting the door) but in the end, after a lot of sulking they got used to it.

Lure them to their bed with a treat, shut doors/gates etc and try and not imagine the puppy dog eyes looking all sad.

With my dogs they just had to get used to it. It takes time and they cried a lot at the start (and kept headbutting the door) but in the end, after a lot of sulking they got used to it.

Lure them to their bed with a treat, shut doors/gates etc and try and not imagine the puppy dog eyes looking all sad.

The problem is is that he can get out. He keeps fucking with the crate until he gets out. He has really bad separation anxiety. Right now he is in my room, free, and still whining. Whines when I have him leashed to something while I eat. Never had a dog be this bad before.

I'm gonna have to buy some of those locking key rings and secure the crate so be can't pop the walls apart.

Hunter is the biggest fucking baby. He cried for an hour and eventually got out of his crate somehow by being enough of a psycho to pry apart one of the walls of the locking collapsable crate. It's now 5am and I haven't slept. I can't fall asleep cause I'm pissed. I need to figure out how to solve his separation anxiety. He never wants to be alone. Ugh.

i recommend trying D.A.P. ( http://www.dapdiffuser.com/ )

my sister's dog (before she got another dog) had terrible separation anxiety. the retired neighbors said he cried all day (they were worried about him, not mad, luckily), and he lost a couple teeth trying to chew his way out of his crate.  he would also pee by the door because he was anxious. once she got the diffuser and started using it, all the bad behavior stopped, and now she can tell when it runs out because he starts peeing by the door again.

based on reviews, it seems like it either works really well and solves the problem, or has no effect on the dog. it's not that expensive, though, so it's worth a shot. there's also collars that work the same as the plug-in diffuser that you can get that might work too.

ALSO (to add to this long ass post), my friend adopted a husky after hers died last year, and she was going crazy in her crate. trying to destroy it, ripped up the pad in the bottom multiple times, just horribly stressed. they tried just confining her to their basement, but she chewed the door frame. finally they decided to just let her have the run of the house experimentally because nothing was working, and she was fine after that.

matt, is hunter sleeping in his crate in your room? That might be an easy fix but not permanent. We have a lot of dogs in our puppy class who have the separation anxiety/crying in crate thing. Our trainer suggests making the crate an awesome experience for the dog, and leaving them in there for short periods of time while you’re home so they realize that the crate doesn’t mean ‘my person is leaving and I’ll be alone FOREVER!'

Get some kongs, fill them with wet dog food, and freeze them, that’ll keep him busy for about 30 min to an hour. Make the crate his happy little place, his den, and always reward him for going in the crate. Have a special toy he only gets if he goes in the crate.

I’m not a dog expert but getting my little babe frank a few months ago has taught me a lot. I’m in a best beginnings puppy class and am learning a lot with that too. I would definitely recommend taking a class with your dog if only to strengthen your bond with him while learning some cool stuff and socializing with other pups.

matt, is hunter sleeping in his crate in your room? That might be an easy fix but not permanent. We have a lot of dogs in our puppy class who have the separation anxiety/crying in crate thing. Our trainer suggests making the crate an awesome experience for the dog, and leaving them in there for short periods of time while you’re home so they realize that the crate doesn’t mean ‘my person is leaving and I’ll be alone FOREVER!'

Get some kongs, fill them with wet dog food, and freeze them, that’ll keep him busy for about 30 min to an hour. Make the crate his happy little place, his den, and always reward him for going in the crate. Have a special toy he only gets if he goes in the crate.

I’m not a dog expert but getting my little babe frank a few months ago has taught me a lot. I’m in a best beginnings puppy class and am learning a lot with that too. I would definitely recommend taking a class with your dog if only to strengthen your bond with him while learning some cool stuff and socializing with other pups.

yeah, if crating him during the day is what you want to do, definitely try this. my friend whom i mentioned above with the husky tried all of this (her boyfriend posted pictures of her literally laying in the crate trying to get her pup to come in with her), but to no avail. sometimes when you adopt an adult dog they have things already so ingrained about what's good and what's bad that it's extremely hard to break those behaviors, so she worked around it and now found that her pup is fine without being crated, luckily.

How old is hunter? I guess I assumed he was younger. If he's older he might not be able to be crated. I agree with ms. Cat parade, He could've had a traumatic experience or just not like it. I think it's good to at least have him tolerate it though, especially if he has to make an emergency vet visit where he'll definitely be crated. :(

I can vouch that its super important to make sure your pup knows that the crate isn't a bad place to be. Dexter looooooved his crate. Even when the door was closed (but not latched), he would use his nose to open it up just so he could lay in it throughout the day.

We stopped using the crate when he was about 18 months old, which sounds insane for a lab. I've never met a dog who had no interest in stealing things and scratching/chewing everything in sight. We could leave Dex at a super young age while going out for a few hours and we'd come home and not a single thing was touched or ruined. We lucked out this time around because we've had two other labs and they loved slippers, remote controls, tissues, garbage, socks, and especially scratching at the walls, moldings, and chewing on legs of chairs and tables. Dexter just loves fruits and veggies.

The crate was in my room. He seems to be getting more stressed every passing night. My landlord just installed my door today so the crate is too big to fit through. So I decided to put him right outside my door with the door to my bedroom open so he can still see me. He did not like that. He flailed around for an hour until he got free. I'm too tired to disassemble the crate (which he can apparently get out of right now regardless). So he is sitting in my room and paced around for 30 minutes, periodically whining cause he knows I'm in here and not giving him attention.

As far as making the crate the cool place to be, he's not having it. I feed him breakfast and dinner and there and hide treats so he associates the crate as a place to get food, but he knows what it's really for. I had a kong with frozen pb and he doesn't care. Nothing eases he anxiety about getting in or soothes it while he is in there. If I try to use any food to get him to go to the crate, he knows. Plus he is super treat picky to begin with. If I even walk towards him to guide him, he will lay down and try to brace himself on the floor so I won't be able to move him (which is funny since he slides around on the hardwood). Also, the crate is open through out the day. It has a side door and a front door which I leave open. He walks through it when walking behind the couch to get to his water. That's the only time he is ok with it, if I have nothing to do with it. Haha.

My apartment is pretty small, only about 390sq ft. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him free range cause he hasn't gotten into anything or destroyed anything yet. I've read a lot about huskies and malamutes and how smart and stubborn they are. I want him to be crate trained, but at the same time I just want him to behave. If he doesn't eat my tv remote or chew on the wall, that's fine. If he behaves, I don't care. But I don't want to give in to his whining and have him think he is winning. I don't need that shit haha.

He is just incredibly needy. If I am sitting on the couch and I move, he instantly has to walk to me and demands attention. If I'm standing he leans into me. I mean, it's cute, but I don't want him needing my attention 24/7. That can't be good.

I ordered a dog backpack and I'm going to fill that thing up and have him carry it when I walk him. Apparently it'll burn more of his energy and cut the amount of walking down.

Ugh. I'm tired. He is finally asleep now I think. I'm just scared to shift to my side to get comfortable in fear he will wake up and demand petting. What have I done...

Haha.

Edit:

And we are taking classes. His first class was on Sunday. That was only 24 hours after having him so we didn't do much. He was still pretty anxious. I've been teaching him to sit which is working pretty well. I don't think he knows the word yet, just the motion. Hell, he might just know to sit when I look at him a certain way (the way I come off when I want him to sit before we go out or if he wants a treat). We'll see how class # 2 goes in a few days.

Also, he is 2 years old and I know nothing about his history. All I know is that he was living on the streets at one point and then got picked up by a kill shelter. He was 30 minutes away from being put down and got rescued. I got him from the rescue and they had only had him a week before his first adoption day, which is when I got him.

It's nearly impossible for me to get angry, I just get really sad. Even if I'm pissed off I cry. Struggles.

Happy Halloweeeeeeen! I'm still a Debbie downer today, maybe by a miracle work will make it better?

I think I'm just gonna say fuck apple for my MacBook since no one can give me a steady answer. My grandpa fixes computers so I'm gonna call him today and talk about getting my harddrive backed up and then doing a complete erase and software restore. It's a software issue, this should fix it (which seems to be what the dudes at the Apple Store think.)

If it doesn't work, it's the logic board and the apple support lady on the phone is right. It's a lot of work to replace a logic board but a lot cheaper if I just do it myself.

Fuck you, apple.

Is the computer booting?

Have you tried booting into/running the Apple Hardware Test? It might help point you in the right direction.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

The process may be a little different depending on which machine/os.

What model is your computer? Which OS are you running?

I can vouch that its super important to make sure your pup knows that the crate isn't a bad place to be. Dexter looooooved his crate. Even when the door was closed (but not latched), he would use his nose to open it up just so he could lay in it throughout the day.

We stopped using the crate when he was about 18 months old, which sounds insane for a lab. I've never met a dog who had no interest in stealing things and scratching/chewing everything in sight. We could leave Dex at a super young age while going out for a few hours and we'd come home and not a single thing was touched or ruined. We lucked out this time around because we've had two other labs and they loved slippers, remote controls, tissues, garbage, socks, and especially scratching at the walls, moldings, and chewing on legs of chairs and tables. Dexter just loves fruits and veggies.

you've clearly never known any greyhounds ;]

seriously, every time i'm dogsitting for my sister, they jump on on their respective couches when i leave in the morning, i tuck them in with their blankets, and they're both in the same spot when i get home, haha. but then again, greyhounds are the freaks of the dog world.

That sounds so cute Allison!! Gahhhh. I would love to be able to leave frank free to roam when he's older but he's such a garbage dump right now I can't see leaving him. He eats anything and everything he can get his little paws on. I can't even do bones or bully sticks with him because he'll look me straight in the eye and swallow a 7 inch bully stick whole.

That sounds so cute Allison!! Gahhhh. I would love to be able to leave frank free to roam when he's older but he's such a garbage dump right now I can't see leaving him. He eats anything and everything he can get his little paws on. I can't even do bones or bully sticks with him because he'll look me straight in the eye and swallow a 7 inch bully stick whole.

hahahaha OH, THAT SILLY LITTLE FRANK.

her pups used to get into the trash occasionally (oddly enough usually when they were home and just not paying attention) but she got one of those kitchen trashcans with the lid that's flush with the top that you have to step on a lever to open, and now they can't get to it!

i hope they catch whomever is doing it and force feed them their own poisoned marshmallows.

Agreed. Or alternately let all the neighborhood dogs feast on that piece of human garbage until he's nothing but bones. Then use their bones as chew toys.

I really really fucking hate people who hurt animals.

you've clearly never known any greyhounds ;]

seriously, every time i'm dogsitting for my sister, they jump on on their respective couches when i leave in the morning, i tuck them in with their blankets, and they're both in the same spot when i get home, haha. but then again, greyhounds are the freaks of the dog world.

I haven't had any greyhounds but theyre so majestic when i see them in public. love those dogs.

Someone near where I live has been filling marshmallows with rat poison and a screw/nail then leaving them around the local dog walking places.

People are fucked up.

people were doing that near my a few years back. :( they put the screws in blocks of cheese rather than marshmallows tho. so awful.

Oh my God

Some people don't deserve to breathe.

Oh fuck that. some people are SICK

Edit: in regards to mccandless post

i hope they catch whomever is doing it and force feed them their own poisoned marshmallows.

Agree completley.

Honestly leaves me speechless trying to understand how anyone could do that to a harmless dog. It's not just dogs, young kids could also eat them.

me too. I get so upset. Peace for paws ohio posted this story on FB about a guy who was going to court for beating a puppy to death. The neighbors called the police because they heard commotion next door and puppy screaming. turns out the guy had been slamming it against the wall because it wouldn’t stop whining. it’s a puppy for god sakes. I cried reading it.

on a semi related note, it’s getting to the point where I can’t even see old people alone without getting so sad. seeing old people eat alone is of course awful and I always feel bad. but the other day at work this cutest little old lady was in a wheelchair, and the person she was with parked her in the warehouse aisle and walked away to look at something. I walked by her and she was so little and frail and she smiled at me. and I came back to my office and felt like I wanted to cry. why am I having this reaction to old people?! :(

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic