I'm sorry about your girlfriend and grandfather.

I think your girlfriend used a bullshit excuse, but I know that probably doesn't make it any easier. What counts is that you're actively seeking employment and settling for what you can get until you can find something better. It would be different if you had no job at all and weren't even trying. People put way too much emphasis on where you're going in life as opposed to who you are in life, and it sucks that you had to experience the type of person that thinks the former is more important than the latter.

Things will get better man. They just will. It's like a fucking law of nature or something.

I actually came in here to post that I had, I guess, a night terror last night?

I've mentioned it before I think, but every now and then I wake up freaking out and come to in the living room standing there slightly confused. I have these dreams where I'm laying in bed and I see things. It's like my eyes are open and I'm hallucinating. In my 'dream' I see my room exactly as it is. Usually, I perceive these things it as spiders (biggest fucking fear, completely irrational how terrified I am of them [please don't post any pictures to fuck with me]), but last night it was something different. Something floating near my bed that sped towards me, and in that moment I started screaming. I've never legitimately screamed before.

So now my boyfriend thinks I'm seeing ghosts. I would say it's sleep paralysis which is notorious for causing freaky hallucinations, but I never have trouble moving. I'm always able to quickly jump out of bed.

So. I'm a weirdo, you guys.

Holy crap, I have that same issue? I always wake up flailing and throwing things because I always think I'm being covered in bugs or something insane. I'm not even that terrified of bugs. It always takes me a good few minutes to come down from a terror too and make sure it isn't real.

However, I haven't had that last part happen. I'm pretty terrified of super natural stuff. I keep crystals by my bed for protection.

I've never had issues with the paralysis part either. I wish I had some sort of advice? 

I guess I wouldn't be too worried as long as the ghost thing doesn't happen again. If it happens again, start looking into crystals and minerals for protection.

My mom used to have me make salt circles around my bed after having nightmares as a child, haha.

(Also I got super crazy chills reading that.)

I have a strong history with paranormal stuff, not fun, haha. 

Definitely aliens.

Don't google sleep paralysis though because almost all of it has to do with spirits and I'm not okay with it. 

Though now that I think of it, I have a lot of dreams too where I'm awake but I can't open my eyes. I always wake up in a panic.

I really hate dreams. I hate them so much.

I actually came in here to post that I had, I guess, a night terror last night?

I've mentioned it before I think, but every now and then I wake up freaking out and come to in the living room standing there slightly confused. I have these dreams where I'm laying in bed and I see things. It's like my eyes are open and I'm hallucinating. In my 'dream' I see my room exactly as it is. Usually, I perceive these things it as spiders (biggest fucking fear, completely irrational how terrified I am of them [please don't post any pictures to fuck with me]), but last night it was something different. Something floating near my bed that sped towards me, and in that moment I started screaming. I've never legitimately screamed before.

So now my boyfriend thinks I'm seeing ghosts. I would say it's sleep paralysis which is notorious for causing freaky hallucinations, but I never have trouble moving. I'm always able to quickly jump out of bed.

So. I'm a weirdo, you guys.

Do you take any pain medications?

Hypnagogic hallucinations/hypnopompic hallucinations seems like the closest to what we experienced.

I never realized it was a strange thing until I brought it up to my sister and she had no clue what I was talking about. Kinda weird I never thought to research it until you said you have the same problem.

Nope. No medication at all. I won't even take aspirin unless I'm in extreme pain, which is rare. I'm not stressed more than normal work stuff, which is barely stress. I never take it home with me. I have a couple beers every night, watch Archer or Bobs Burgers, hang out here, and pass out pretty quickly.

It's happened AT LEAST five+ times now, and it has never happened until I moved into this apartment.

I don't stay over night anywhere often, but in the past year that I have, I haven't experienced it.

"[Hypnagogic hallucinations] may include vivid and frightening images, including images which are out of scale, which can make the hallucinations seem even more unsettling; people may see giant spiders on the walls, for example"

This exact thing has happened. Looks like we're onto something. I just hate how every time I look something up it's basically just the internet saying THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH YOU, YOU'LL PROBABLY DIE SOON KBYE.

"Many people experience hypnagogic hallucinations at some point during their lives, but recurrent intense hallucinations can be a sign of an underlying medical condition which may require treatment."

=\ This is really weird.  I've only hallucinated once and that was when I was in the hospital for the week after getting my spleen removed.  I was on a cocktail of pain meds and I kept feeling the presence of something that wanted me out of my hospital bed.  My mom also told me that I would take nonsense in my sleep.  But I recall talking to her while half asleep and saying things that she says I never said.  It was like I was hearing the right words in my head, but they were coming out as completely different words.  It was really strange and unsettling.

The fact that you've only experienced this in your new apartment is alarming to me.  Is there any way that you can look into the history of where you live?

=\ This is really weird.  I've only hallucinated once and that was when I was in the hospital for the week after getting my spleen removed.  I was on a cocktail of pain meds and I kept feeling the presence of something that wanted me out of my hospital bed.  My mom also told me that I would take nonsense in my sleep.  But I recall talking to her while half asleep and saying things that she says I never said.  It was like I was hearing the right words in my head, but they were coming out as completely different words.  It was really strange and unsettling.

The fact that you've only experienced this in your new apartment is alarming to me.  Is there any way that you can look into the history of where you live?

Holy shit. That is crazy. Drugs scare me. A lot.

It's hard to pinpoint history to just my area. Searching "Dallas history" is going to get me nowhere. But in looking up my neighborhood, I did discover that according to a 2010 report (which is very possible to have changed since), I live within walking distance from the #2, #10, and #13 crime areas in Dallas. Neato burrito.

I need to get off the internet.

edit: Logan, nope. Nothing like that. I do light incense on a regular basis. That's supposed to keep things balanced... right?

Well, no matter how I phrase it, it will sound crazy:

Mirrors against windows act as portals, mirrors facing toward windows (reflecting light) keep negative energies away.

It could be a superstitious midwife tale, but I have a pretty horrifying story about that stuff. So it's always been my first thing to check when weird things happen.

or mirrors in the bedroom...feng shui stuff

none of this is mine, but what i was thinking...

because a mirror is one way that a soul or spirit can make an entrance from the world beyond into this world and back again (a portal if you will), you may or may not wish to have this amazing piece of reflective material in your bedroom. mirrors have been used since the seers themselves began the art of scying (communicating with the deceased/spirit through means of various objects, mirrors being one of them, pendulums, rods, crystals being some others)

It is said that spirits can enter through mirrors so that is why they are covered up at the times of funerals when people return to the house, also if someone in the house is sick as some thought to believe that a spirit could take a persons soul, hence them not recovering and dying. If you have clutter in your room it will reflect it and can make you restless,so keep the room tidy

or what you said, haha, very similar.

Edited by henster311

We all have mirrors in our room, that's never been a problem...now I'm a little freaked out more hahahaha.

For someone who was raised around this stuff, you would think I wouldn't get as worked up as I do.

Crystals are great for many things though, including protection. I keep an assortment in a medicine bag hung above my bed. If I travel for long periods of time, I carry them with me.

Break from the spooks real quick:

On tour over summer, a bunch of the guys thought they heard something open their hotel room door eve though it was locked. After had making fun of me for carrying around crystals earlier in the day, they asked to borrow them to feel safer. I let them.

We taped the door so it wouldn't lock and then totally snuck in on them. The one guy screamed "THE CRYSTALS DIDNT WORK."

Never forget.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic