I was raised without religion and told I could explore and believe whatever I wanted.

I made this (REALLY amateur) documentary as part of a class in college. before the WBC really became famous. anyway it’s about my gay best friend and what it was like for him to grow up gay in a small town. I also interviewed a pastor who compares homosexuality to beastiality, he plays some angry voicemails people have left for him. it's pretty interesting if you have some time to waste.

I'm definitely going to watch this when I get home from the doctors. I know it's just going to make me sad that so many people can be filled with hate and justify it with religion. 

Like I've said, it's really hard to explain my stance because I believe in the more spiritual side of things and think of God in terms of the universe. It's worth noting that my beliefs would have had me burned at the stake by most religions back in the day. 

Because I believe in astrology, healing in crystals/energy, etc. 

In all technicalities, I would be considered a witch.

Which is also still a touchy subject these days.

dude was definitely on the extreme side of things.

I avoid religion talks at all costs usually. I’ve met a lot of wonderful people who are religious and a lot who aren’t. I can't write anyone off without getting to know them first.

i got tricked into going to church this weekend.

met up with my sister and my parents for late lunch/early dinner, then unless i wanted to jump out of a moving vehicle i had to go to church, because i rode with my parents and they went straight there after dinner.

i'm a huge fan of humanism, but i'm sort of 'spiritual' at the same time, if that makes any sense.

i think it's because the biggest problem i have with most organized religion, like christianity, is that people are taught to be good to avoid punishment and get a reward (go to heaven). so being 'good' and 'moral' is kind of self serving, and people should be good just because that's the right thing to do, regardless of whether some deity in the sky grants you access to some eternal utopia.

I'm definitely going to watch this when I get home from the doctors. I know it's just going to make me sad that so many people can be filled with hate and justify it with religion. 

Like I've said, it's really hard to explain my stance because I believe in the more spiritual side of things and think of God in terms of the universe. It's worth noting that my beliefs would have had me burned at the stake by most religions back in the day. 

Which is also still a touchy subject these days.

BURN HER, BURN HER!

I believe in astrology, too.  I don't know much about healing, but I am a big supporter of energy.  I don't even think people need to have passed on in order to sense their energy.

My dad's cousin is a witch.  She has a twin who is a medium.  It kind of runs in our family.  I've seen people who aren't really "there" when I see them, and I can also sense things before they happen.  Premonition I think it's called?  My grandmother on my dad's side was the same way.  She died when I was 9 but people always tell me that we're linked in a way that isn't common.

i got tricked into going to church this weekend.

met up with my sister and my parents for late lunch/early dinner, then unless i wanted to jump out of a moving vehicle i had to go to church, because i rode with my parents and they went straight there after dinner.

i'm a huge fan of humanism, but i'm sort of 'spiritual' at the same time, if that makes any sense.

i think it's because the biggest problem i have with most organized religion, like christianity, is that people are taught to be good to avoid punishment and get a reward (go to heaven). so being 'good' and 'moral' is kind of self serving, and people should be good just because that's the right thing to do, regardless of whether some deity in the sky grants you access to some eternal utopia.

Yes! I think it's more or less the organized religion where things go reaaaaally wrong. Because in organized religion theres this whole "I'm holy-er than you" mentality. It's so messed up. Most people who follow a religion but don't believe in organized religion are really good people who also don't believe in the ignorant side of things. There are amazing people in religion, there are shitty people in religion. Just like anything else in the world. 

That's why I don't believe anyone should be shamed for following a religion UNLESS they're a shitty person who uses religion to promote ignorance. 

I believe in astrology, too.  I don't know much about healing, but I am a big supporter of energy.  I don't even think people need to have passed on in order to sense their energy.

My dad's cousin is a witch.  She has a twin who is a medium.  It kind of runs in our family.  I've seen people who aren't really "there" when I see them, and I can also sense things before they happen.  Premonition I think it's called?  My grandmother on my dad's side was the same way.  She died when I was 9 but people always tell me that we're linked in a way that isn't common.

Premonition, yeah. I have a little bit of everything, I'd really like to develop it more. I've always wanted to go to a psychic just because whenever a family member goes to one, I'm always a big portion of conversation. Things come up where they say that I'm a very 'protected' child and that no one needs to worry about me. Apparently I'm protected by not only family members that have passed on, but the universe as well but no one seems to know why. Just that people should not worry about me. That's always really freaked me out, especially because I've had a few near death experiences, even as a baby, and I've come out unscathed in every situation. 

The other day, someone posted a link that was like "reasons you know you're a witch" or something like that. I don't identify with being a witch and a few bullet points didn't make sense to me, but I got to one and my body just completely shut down and I started shaking and crying. 

I've also been told that people are very drawn to my energy and that I have to be careful because negative people will want to be in my life. I've had to learn how to read a person's energy as soon as meeting them, in order to keep the negativity out. But apparently, I have a way of calming people down the second I'm in a room (strangers have even told me this). It's all very bizarre. 

I'd really like to research and find out more, but I always get super freaked out by things really easily. 

I know like, half this board now thinks I'm a total crazy pants.

Premonition, yeah. I have a little bit of everything, I'd really like to develop it more. I've always wanted to go to a psychic just because whenever a family member goes to one, I'm always a big portion of conversation. Things come up where they say that I'm a very 'protected' child and that no one needs to worry about me. Apparently I'm protected by not only family members that have passed on, but the universe as well but no one seems to know why. Just that people should not worry about me. That's always really freaked me out, especially because I've had a few near death experiences, even as a baby, and I've come out unscathed in every situation. 

The other day, someone posted a link that was like "reasons you know you're a witch" or something like that. I don't identify with being a witch and a few bullet points didn't make sense to me, but I got to one and my body just completely shut down and I started shaking and crying. 

I've also been told that people are very drawn to my energy and that I have to be careful because negative people will want to be in my life. I've had to learn how to read a person's energy as soon as meeting them, in order to keep the negativity out. But apparently, I have a way of calming people down the second I'm in a room (strangers have even told me this). It's all very bizarre. 

I'd really like to research and find out more, but I always get super freaked out by things really easily. 

I know like, half this board now thinks I'm a total crazy pants.

I identify with so much of what you're saying!  The part about negative people... I feel like that's me all over.  If you read my few posts on Tumblr about my former friends, maybe that's why?  I need to learn how to read a person's energy.  What did you do to train yourself to do that?

If you want we can research together.  I think we've got a lot of the same things going on and I, too, would like to learn how to harness these abilities.

My brother once went to a psychic and was told that our grandmother (our dad's mother) follows him around (he was also told this by my dad's cousin who is a medium years later - she said our grandmother likes to ride in his truck with him because it's fun) and that I'm like a carbon copy of our grandmother.  Very strange stuff, but I want to learn more.

I identify with so much of what you're saying!  The part about negative people... I feel like that's me all over.  If you read my few posts on Tumblr about my former friends, maybe that's why?  I need to learn how to read a person's energy.  What did you do to train yourself to do that?

If you want we can research together.  I think we've got a lot of the same things going on and I, too, would like to learn how to harness these abilities.

My brother once went to a psychic and was told that our grandmother (our dad's mother) follows him around (he was also told this by my dad's cousin who is a medium years later - she said our grandmother likes to ride in his truck with him because it's fun) and that I'm like a carbon copy of our grandmother.  Very strange stuff, but I want to learn more.

I got chills when I read that last bit. Let's start a Coven. 

It's actually a lot easier than you'd think, you already posses the ability. The biggest thing for me was learning to work off instinct, the second you meet a person, you can generally tell if they make you feel good or if something is off. However, human nature is generally to dismiss that thought because if you don't know a person...how can you know that they're not good? 

That's been the biggest obstacle for me to over come because I'd know someone was toxic almost immediately but I'd still let them in my life because I thought maybe I was wrong. Hint: I've never been wrong. I've seen the end of my relationships before they've even started. I told my best friend that it wouldn't even be a year before he would eventually stop talking to me because his girlfriend would cut our ties. He told me it would never happen. It happened on the exact time frame I knew it would. 

He's the person I'm still very attached to in terms of I know exactly when he's thinking of me and when he'll contact me next. 

I'd absolutely love to research with you. I know a lot of it is just trusting what your body tells you. 

I got chills when I read that last bit. Let's start a Coven. 

It's actually a lot easier than you'd think, you already posses the ability. The biggest thing for me was learning to work off instinct, the second you meet a person, you can generally tell if they make you feel good or if something is off. However, human nature is generally to dismiss that thought because if you don't know a person...how can you know that they're not good? 

That's been the biggest obstacle for me to over come because I'd know someone was toxic almost immediately but I'd still let them in my life because I thought maybe I was wrong. Hint: I've never been wrong. I've seen the end of my relationships before they've even started. I told my best friend that it wouldn't even be a year before he would eventually stop talking to me because his girlfriend would cut our ties. He told me it would never happen. It happened on the exact time frame I knew it would. 

He's the person I'm still very attached to in terms of I know exactly when he's thinking of me and when he'll contact me next. 

I'd absolutely love to research with you. I know a lot of it is just trusting what your body tells you. 

I tend to doubt myself, too.  Often times when I sense something is going to happen, I don't vocalize it because I always convince myself that I'm wrong or over analyzing, etc... but then it happens and I can't prove to anyone that I had the thought way before hand.  I think I'm also too trusting of people.  I give everyone the benefit of the doubt even when they're complete strangers and I know that's dangerous.  I'll have to learn how to differentiate between wanting to believe people are good and my instinct that there's something off about them/their energy.  I'm definitely going to research everything this week. 

I tend to doubt myself, too.  Often times when I sense something is going to happen, I don't vocalize it because I always convince myself that I'm wrong or over analyzing, etc... but then it happens and I can't prove to anyone that I had the thought way before hand.  I think I'm also too trusting of people.  I give everyone the benefit of the doubt even when they're complete strangers and I know that's dangerous.  I'll have to learn how to differentiate between wanting to believe people are good and my instinct that there's something off about them/their energy.  I'm definitely going to research everything this week. 

I used to do the same thing. I've started texting things to close friends who I trust, when things don't feel right. Even if it's something ridiculous like "Mikey is going to text me Wednesday." I got this feeling in the pit of my stomach the other day that someone I haven't talked to in awhile was thinking of me, I texted my friend Paige about it. The next morning I woke up and that person had went through and liked a bunch of my instagram photos. Silly, absolutely. But I still sensed it before it happened. 

I'm way too trusting as well, I want to see the good in everyone and I think that's absolutely our downfall. I'm slowly learning to trust my instinct but it's hard. 

Apparently my profile picture on my College Profile isn't correct (it's the same as my avatar), and I was asked to change it to an actual picture of me.

That's not going to happen.

My school won't even let you post a picture before approving that it's your face without hats, sunglasses, etc. you should definitely not change it.

Also, Ashton, I shot you a Facebook message so everyone can feel free to post without our freaky witch conversations interrupting.

now i'm paranoid that if i ever meet either of you, you're gonna be all 'NOPE. NOPE. CANT BE FRIENDS. BAD FEELING.'

and then i'll cry myself to sleep for weeks because deep down i'm a bad person.

(note, because sometimes my humor on the internet requires clarity: i am serious about the first part cuz i totally believe in most of that stuff. the second part would probably not happen. but i would be sad.)

you should hire out your services and accompany people on their first dates to know if they should waste their time with the other person, ahahaha.

unrelated: i've met probably 4 or 5 people from VC and it was pretty cool! i'm fairly anti-social/mostly just lazy/dont like leaving my couch and my netflix account, so who knows when something like that will ever happen again.

You better believe if VC ever gets together, I'm breaking out the palm reading and tarot cards!

Fo real though, I'm sure you'll be fine. It takes a lot for someone to set off the "NOPE NO GOOD" meter.

we have a guy at work that does that over lunch breaks. he also does massages too. he's employed here but just does that too to fuck around and stuff.

i love having my palms read. youd have a hayday with mine. they are funky...people have said. ill send you a pic. can you read it via instagram? kinda serious.

or do you have to 'feel' me. ya feel?

i bet you just said ewwww and gross.

unrelated: i've met probably 4 or 5 people from VC and it was pretty cool! i'm fairly anti-social/mostly just lazy/dont like leaving my couch and my netflix account, so who knows when something like that will ever happen again.

I've met 2 people from VC, both awesome! would like to meet more

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic