Shone / Be Patient / Heat Thing / FFFUUUUUUU

Something that's crossed my mind is that it would be absolutely amazing if this was the ONLY WAY the music was released.  Thumbdrives with single songs through a viral marketing campaign.  

or if they were done Oprah style:

You want a new single?

LOOK UNDER YOUR CHAIR

Very much so.

This old post that I saw floating around tumblr in September seems to confirm that:

my sister works in the floral department of a certain chain grocery store on Long Island. Yesterday she was making a fall-colored floral arrangement for a stocky guy on his cell phone. As she was doing so she was eavesdropping on his conversation and overheard the words “my studio” “messing around” “this whole week” and “brian lane.”

upon further listening, she found out that brand new is doing studio time (and they’re ordering $200 worth of food on a company card) this week.

and then she described the guy to me, i googled mike sapone, and she confirmed that’s who it was.

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT, INTERNET. BRAND NEW. RECORDING. ON LONG ISLAND. MESSING AROUND WITH SAPONE. WITH A FALL COLORED BOUQUET. BOOM.

(Source)

Also the bouquet may seem insignificant, but lately they've (Brand New) been pretty big on having flowers all over stage and on the mics and throwing them into the crowd, etc. They seem to be fond of having these floral arrangements in their "musical space" so to speak

And I saw Brian at Kevin Devine's show earlier this month, he was talking to some guy (wearing glasses I think, maybe Andrew Accardi?) I couldnt see them well, but they seemed to be discussing something seriously, so there's that as well. Jesse was with them too, this was after the show ended

I'd be curious to know how many hits that page has gotten.

I also am curious to know if this ISN'T Brand New, how many people are going to bail on whoever this band is. I mean, it would appear that most people that are keeping up with/showing interest in this band are doing so in hopes that it is Brand New. So if it turns out to just be some band that no-one has ever heard of, and it doesn't have any semi-famous musicians in it, are people just going to be all "FUCK YOU GUYS FOR FOOLING US!!!" And then never listen again?

PS - Hammered dulcimer in the background at the end. TIGHT.

Anyone that would put this much thought/effort/ingenuity into a song release seems worth following. I think I liked the track better when I came to my own personal conclusion that its likely not Brand New, but Brian Lane is drumming. I'm sure tons of people will lose interest if its not Brand New, but that's lame.

The lyrics to that song are horrifyingly intriguing to me.

I'd be curious to know how many hits that page has gotten.

I also am curious to know if this ISN'T Brand New, how many people are going to bail on whoever this band is. I mean, it would appear that most people that are keeping up with/showing interest in this band are doing so in hopes that it is Brand New. So if it turns out to just be some band that no-one has ever heard of, and it doesn't have any semi-famous musicians in it, are people just going to be all "FUCK YOU GUYS FOR FOOLING US!!!" And then never listen again?

PS - Hammered dulcimer in the background at the end. TIGHT.

Most people think it's Brian Lane/Andrew Accardi's side project. Vocal sound like Andrew, and Jesse mentioned in an interview they were working together. 

Apparently, it sounds to some as though Jesse does background vocals on the first song released

So I finally gave this a good listen and while I still don't think this viral marketing thing is cool at all (and it still seems like a waste of time to me haha) these tracks are fucking dripping with Brand New's scent. Either this is them or they're totally ok with someone totally ripping off their sound...

So I finally gave this a good listen and while I still don't think this viral marketing thing is cool at all (and it still seems like a waste of time to me haha).

Yeah, you guys are acting as if you have never seen viral marketing before. It's not original and comes off as a pretty desperate attempt to get attention. Doubt many people would give a shit about this song had it been released the standard way.

Yeah, you guys are acting as if you have never seen viral marketing before. It's not original and comes off as a pretty desperate attempt to get attention. Doubt many people would give a shit about this song had it been released the standard way.

i think this particular viral marketing technique as been pretty original.  although i'm not fully involved with it, it seems like a lot of others are having fun with it and doesn't seem desperate to me.

I'm not acting like I haven't seen a viral marketing campaign before. Just because I have doesn't mean I'm not allowed to still say it's stupid ha.

I'm not acting like I haven't seen a viral marketing campaign before. Just because I have doesn't mean I'm not allowed to still say I think it's stupid ha.

I was agreeing with you. Wasn't saying anything against you.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. Song is gnarly and sounds like an even worse version of FUN.

vg1vme.jpg

It's time to go back to 2004, put the makeup back on, and maybe jerk off while listening to some Fueled By Ramen bands.