PO: Coheed and Cambria - Afterman: Descension

Well, they were if you got the deluxe vinyl set.

Ultimately, they could have released The Afterman as a 2xLP, but for whatever reasons, they decided this is how they wanted to do it.

It's a little like the GNR Use Your Illusion albums. They certainly could have released that with both albums together, but it was decided to release them individually.

Other than the four records noted already, they seemed to have a good bit of The Amory Wars. All of which were also signed by Claudio I believe. I noticed no special show/tour prints (and I wouldn't think they'd have been sold out a half hour into the show when I got there). Other than that, a decently large amount of clothing options and the typical accessories.

Those who have attended the few shows so far, what other merch do they have besides the records? Any show/tour prints?

No tour prints. All the shirts were pretty lacking in my opinion. They had some cool other stuff though; scarf, beanie, handkerchief/bandana, patches, jewelry stuff (belt buckles, necklaces, pendants). Lots of amory wars including the GA graphic novel.

Well, they were if you got the deluxe vinyl set.

Ultimately, they could have released The Afterman as a 2xLP, but for whatever reasons, they decided this is how they wanted to do it.

It's a little like the GNR Use Your Illusion albums. They certainly could have released that with both albums together, but it was decided to release them individually.

I don't know. The two albums (Ascension and Descension) just a hair shy of fitting on a single CD and all of C&C's album's are 2XLP anyway, with the exception of SSTB. The Use Your Illusion albums are each nearly 80 minutes long. They're definitely fit to be stand alone albums even though they are titled as a two part body of work. I'm not sure why this bothers me but it does.

I don't know. The two albums (Ascension and Descension) just a hair shy of fitting on a single CD and all of C&C's album's are 2XLP anyway, with the exception of SSTB. The Use Your Illusion albums are each nearly 80 minutes long. They're definitely fit to be stand alone albums even though they are titled as a two part body of work. I'm not sure why this bothers me but it does.

I probably wouldn't have like Descension as much had I had all 18 songs off the bat. I liked the breather and getting to really know Ascension before diving in to Descension.

Interesting perspective. I haven't even gotten these albums yet. I think I gave up on them by No World For Tomorrow. Was such a disappointment. Tried Black Rainbow and couldn't get through it.

No World for Tomorrow and Year of The Black Rainbow have both grown on me over time but they are still my two least favorite Coheed albums. Reading the Year of the Black Rainbow definitely made me enjoy the album a lot more. I've been a Coheed fan for over 10 years and I think The Afterman is my new favorite piece of work by them - especially the Descension half. I definitely recommend giving them another chance!

I probably wouldn't have like Descension as much had I had all 18 songs off the bat. I liked the breather and getting to really know Ascension before diving in to Descension.

I kind of agree with this idea.

Also, I think Descension is stronger overall than Ascension, so when I finally heard Descension, my reaction was "wow, this is even BETTER than that other one!"

If they both came out at once/together, I probably would have thought the combined album was really good. I mean, I think the whole Afterman collection or even each one taken individually is better than both NWFT and YOTBR (even though I like YOTBR a shitload more than it seems most people do. NWFT is definitely their worst).

But, they came out separately, so in my mind I think of them separately, and as a result I think Afterman is "really good" and Descension is "great". So, by releasing them separately, I think I enjoy the whole Afterman set, musicially speaking, more overall than I would have if they came out as one piece.

And frankly, I kind of like the idea of a return to 40-45 minute-ish albums as a general thing in music. It's a good length for things to be.

My Euro press just arrived. The blue is a little lighter than I expected having seen the photo of it earlier in the thread. It's also got a hint (just a hint) of green in it, leaning ever-so-slightly towards turquoise, but it's not actual turquoise like the US press. Just a slight undertone.

My Euro press of Ascension should arrive in the next couple of days - Amazon shipped these separately even though I bought them both on the same order, for whatever reason. I'm VERY excited for that one, because orange.